GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Jack slipped and dented oil pan, I need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 01:49 PM
D3AN
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Jack slipped and dented oil pan, I need your advice

The jack slipped and fell on the oil pan putting in a sizable dent. Pretty much the weight of the front half was sitting on the oil pan. I didn't think anything of it at the time until I took a second look today. I've been driving it like this for 2 months without issue. Do you guys think I should replace the pan (or at least hammer out the dent) and replace the oil pick up? Would the oil pressure light turn on if the pickup was being too obstructed? (had minor oil leaks prior to this incident, but I'm still not losing any significant amount of oil)

Last edited by D3AN; 04-24-24 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 04-24-24, 01:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Replace the oil pan. By the time your oil light turns on it's probably too late.
Old 04-26-24, 03:36 AM
BenjaminAnderson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D3AN
The jack slipped and fell on the oil pan putting in a sizable dent. Pretty much the weight of the front half was sitting on the oil pan. I didn't think anything of it at the time until I took a second look today. I've been driving it like this for 2 months without issue. Do you guys think I should replace the pan (or at least hammer out the dent) and replace the oil pick up? Would the oil pressure light turn on if the pickup was being too obstructed? (had minor oil leaks prior to this incident, but I'm still not losing any significant amount of oil)
Spoiler

What did you do?

Last edited by BenjaminAnderson; 04-30-24 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-26-24, 08:14 AM
Saveth
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BenjaminAnderson
What did you do?
I'm guessing one of the wheels of the jack got stuck between the bricks which didn't allow the jack to move towards the rear of the car as it was being lifted. Pretty common thing to happen when you're jacking up the car on a non flat surface. This gives you a good excuse to get a bigger jack with larger wheels so it can roll over the gaps between the bricks
Old 04-26-24, 04:50 PM
D3AN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Saveth
I'm guessing one of the wheels of the jack got stuck between the bricks which didn't allow the jack to move towards the rear of the car as it was being lifted. Pretty common thing to happen when you're jacking up the car on a non flat surface. This gives you a good excuse to get a bigger jack with larger wheels so it can roll over the gaps between the bricks
Yep that’s exactly what happened. The crossmember was slippery with oil too so that didn’t help. I’m gonna try to get some dent pulling tabs to see if I can at least pull the dent out. The low oil pressure light isn’t on so hopefully the oil pick up isn’t compromised. I’m sure the jack warped the pickup in some way since it’s right where the dent is. I’ll update if there’s any progress. Thinking of getting a boroscope to stick through the drain hole to see if I can inspect anything.

Old 04-27-24, 06:58 AM
CurlyG
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

The engine has to be lifted a bit, in order to access the rear oil pan bolts. I bought a new oil pan from RA, offshore brand "Spectra Premium" for about $30, and it looks like a quality part. No guarantee the oil won't lift the paint off of the inside, or that it will fit, as I haven't installed it yet.
My oil pan is leaking from the rear flange. I've lifted the engine several times by jacking up on the oil pan (through a board). Some on the forum said it wouldn't cause an oil leak, some said it will. I now say that jacking up the engine via the oil pan will cause a leak down the road, lol!
I recently bought a lift bar off amz for about $80, that rests on the strut towers, to lift the engine up enough to access the bolts at the rear of the leaking oil pan.
Old 04-27-24, 11:55 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

My biggest complaint about my GS is the hassle i go thru anytime I need to raise it up in the air.
It’s absolutely a good idea to replace your dented oil pan. At the minimum, that dent will reduce oil capacity, at worst it could be restricting the oil pickup or preventing oil from properly circulating. An oil pan cost less than a good oil change and doesn’t take a whole lot longer to replace than changing the oil. So it would really suck to hurt the motor over something cheaper and easier than an oil change.
I bought a special low profile floor jack after I lowered my GS, and it can be really difficult to get the jack in the right position. I have pretty much resigned myself to using ramps, even when I am going to be removing wheels, just so I can get the jack in the perfect spot, and then I just lift it enough to position jack stands and then remove the ramps. And every pump of the jack is still stressful.
Try to never get under a lifted vehicle but always put it on jack stands and any time you pull a wheel off, throw it under the car near where you’ll be working, just for extra safety.
Old 05-01-24, 03:50 AM
D3AN
Pit Crew

So I ended up removing the oil pan and hammering out the dent using a block of wood and hammer. The oil pick up interface was a bit cosmetically damaged but the tube was fine. After cleaning the mating surfaces I laid down a fresh bead of FIPG and bolted things back up. So far everything is working as it should. Thanks guys.
The following 2 users liked this post by D3AN:
annjones13 (05-02-24), firelizard (05-01-24)