GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My car got flooded

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-03, 12:31 PM
gs4304u
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My car got flooded

To make a long story short, the dealer estimates it will cost at least 19K to fix everthing. My adjuster hasn't seen the car yet so I'm not sure what he will decide. I doubt they will total the car since my car is a 2001 with only 42K miles on it. I'm sure I will take a hit for this when I do decide to trade it in. Will they see my car as repaired or salvaged? I'm just happy I wasn't trap inside my car like some other people.

Thanks
Old 11-18-03, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

crap that sux man is it a 430 or 300? if it's 300 i'd say it's totalled, if it's 430 then it will be repaired i guess. definitely a big hit when you try to sell it later though
Old 11-18-03, 02:18 PM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Default Re: My car got flooded

Originally posted by gs4304u
To make a long story short, the dealer estimates it will cost at least 19K to fix everthing. My adjuster hasn't seen the car yet so I'm not sure what he will decide. I doubt they will total the car since my car is a 2001 with only 42K miles on it. I'm sure I will take a hit for this when I do decide to trade it in. Will they see my car as repaired or salvaged? I'm just happy I wasn't trap inside my car like some other people.

Thanks
Too bad! I 've got a phobia on flood. Yesterday I was in my GS down Sugarland with three guests from New Jersey. It was pouring too hard and I did not insist on exiting down the feeder road. I parked for an hour until the water subside. Last June 2001, I lost my '94 Toyota Camry XLE down Kirby and 59. It was totalled since the water got into the dash board area. In your case, you might end up with huge depreciation, your 2 yrs steep depre + your baby got flooded. I know they can wash and fix your car but what are they going to do with the wirings and other unexpose components that may get rusty in a couple of months or so? I saw a red brand new(dealer 'splate) IS300 under water along Sweewater Boulevard too. Glad that you are okey though. I hope your insurance will take care of you. Good luck man.
Old 11-18-03, 03:25 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

I hope everything works out for you.

-Anthony
Old 11-18-03, 03:28 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your car is flooded...why the in the title.

I think 19k and flooded, the car will probably be totalled.
Old 11-18-03, 04:03 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sure throws me for a loop, too. I thought maybe you had a Ford Tempo or something and mother nature did you a favor and swept it away.
Old 11-19-03, 06:17 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by Pianoman72
The sure throws me for a loop, too. I thought maybe you had a Ford Tempo or something and mother nature did you a favor and swept it away.
Sorry about the loss!! If I were you I would try everything in my power to have the car totalled!
Old 11-19-03, 06:29 AM
gs4304u
Rookie

Didn't mean to put the to throw you guys off. My co-workers and friends were more sadden about my car than me. I guess surviving being robbed at gunpoint a few months ago kind of made things like this trivial. I'm just happy to be alive.

The car was not completely flooded. The dealer didn't find any water in the dash, only some beneath the lining in the floor. I tried to talk to the advisor to any ways to total the car but he didn't want to do it. I told him just say you found water in the dash. He said he could but the adjuster is going to look anyways. Anyone has any ideas?

Last edited by gs4304u; 11-19-03 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-19-03, 08:05 AM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Didn't mean to put the to throw you guys off. My co-workers and friends were more sadden about my car than me. I guess surviving being robbed at gunpoint a few months ago kind of made things like this trivial. I'm just happy to be alive.

The car was not completely flooded. The dealer didn't find any water in the dash, only some beneath the lining in the floor. I tried to talk to the advisor to any ways to total the car but he didn't want to do it. I told him just say you found water in the dash. He said he could but the adjuster is going to look anyways. Anyone has any ideas?
Which part of Texas are you and which dealer did you get your repair estimate? I had a friend down Sterling McCall Lexus body shop that might be able to help you for a second opinion , just incase you need
Normally, adjuster will calculate the bluebook value ( model year, milage, + options ) and compare to identical used vehicle in the market. If the cost of repair is too high over bluebook, they will total. Otherwise, they insist on clean up and repair . You mentioned that the water did not get into the dash area where major computers are, they might not total it. My friend's car, his insurance won't total since after washing carefully all equipments are still working, they explained that as long as those equipments are operating fine they are not oblige (spell chk) to pay. Sometimes it is tricky how they come up with their valuation. I hope that in your case your adjuster is accomodating with regards to estimates. Either way, totalled or not, you end up losing value. If it is in my case, i'll do everything to justify a high repair estimate for the insurance to total. Try to call other Lexus repair centers to justify your higher repair valuation.
Old 11-19-03, 08:37 AM
gs4304u
Rookie

Thanks for the concern guys.

FilBoilsGs,

My car is actually at Sterling McCall Lexus. It's the silver GS430 with the Florida Gators license frame. If your friend can take a look at it, I really appreciate that. TJ, the head tech for Rick Lee, has already inspected the car. He told me everything behind the dash is dry. I'm pretty sure my insurance is going to fix the car.
Old 11-19-03, 08:38 AM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Default Replacement Value GS430/42k miles

Based on the informations you had given, your GS430's value is still high. It is in the range of 30 - 37K to replace your car today. Assuming that the options are standard ( without nav/levinson package) and not in any accident. Taking out 20 K depreciation at least, you still have to come up with over 30 k repair bills or more for them to replace the car. If your repair is 19k, as you had mentioned, then the pricing disparity is over 10 k. I honestly, doubt if they would total your car since it is still new and was not totally submerge. Sad to say, this is a hard battle between you and your insurance company. Get ready with their run around (I'd been there too ). On the other hand, your defense would be the future safety issue due to malfunctioning of safety gadgets. But again that argument might be weak and difficult to prove and put into valuation. I am hoping for your best outcome. Keep us updated.
Old 11-20-03, 11:10 AM
gs4304u
Rookie

in term of dollars, how much less is my car worth if I decide to trade or sell it?
Old 11-20-03, 02:40 PM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

in term of dollars, how much less is my car worth if I decide to trade or sell it?
Without them knowing that the car has been in flood, your trade in value is about 30k. By taking into considerations of all other options, your best bet is about 35K. Since the water did not reach the dash board, and the service can clean up the car very well,I am assuming that the car still function normal and when you go private sale, the prospective buyer won't know unless he is good in looking signs of water damage under the carpet, seat, etc.etc... How deep was the water when you got into it? Did the water reach your driver seat? In the case of my friend, they changed the carpet totally but I can still smell unpleasant odor inside his cabin. Also there are white powdery spots ( I think mildew ) apparent along the inside portion of the rubber mounting that seals the cabin, scuff plates etc.. If you could detail the car very well, it might not show. Just be ready to come up with a good reason to private buyers why you are selling it, since it is very new. It's really up to you whether you will give full disclosure or not. Also when you trade it to Lexus ( I think ) they won't certify that since they knew it was been on flood per service record.

About your trade or private sale, based on Texas market, you might end up getting 30K to 35K ( if with nav/levinson package) less your pay off. I hope you're not upside down. Try to have a purchase quote of your car from several used car dealerships aside from Lexus. They may offer higher, who knows?

P.S. Went to Northside Lexus this morning, they ordered a new amplifier for my LS 400 Nakamichi free of charge. My car is out of warranty. Try their service dept. next time, They're great.
Old 11-28-03, 08:21 AM
gs4304u
Rookie

Post any insurance adjuster out there?

Well, my car needs a new engine. The adjuster is trying to find an engine with the same number of miles as the old one. However, my dealer will not warranty the engine unless it's a new engine. I don't think the adjuster is going to give me a brand new engine. What are my options?

Thanks
Old 11-28-03, 09:09 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

I think you should fight with your insurance company to give you a new engine!!!! First thing I would do is contact a lawyer and see what you options are. Because even if they find an engine with your miliege how would you know if it was taken care of??? Worse comes to worse wait till the new gs comes out and trade it in.. I def feel for you. Whenever I hear these stories it always makes me want to lease instead of purchasing. But I hate leaseing because then I feel like I am renting a car plus I always feel traped. The only nice feeling about leasing is that then you really don't after worry about the car. Well just see a lawyer then always seem to be able to fix things. When I traded my 99GS for my 02 they didn't even look at it. I just called dealers on the phone and they gave me the price.

Quick Reply: My car got flooded