GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs400 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 07:31 AM
Mudfish
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gs400 headlights

I have a 98gs400, my headlights want come on manually or automatically. The running lights works but when I switch to turn on headlights nothing happens, if I switch to auto the headlights works but the running lights go off. I've changed the relay and the column switch and it didn't change. Just wanted to know why one work without other, the way the headlights works is in auto but no running lights and vice versa. Any clue why?
Old 05-15-24, 02:53 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

Let me ask a few questions to understand what exactly is happening. So if the switch is in “off” and the car is running, you have no lights on? Not even the daytime running lights? Do the high beams come on when you activate them? So when you go to the “on” mode, your taillights and all the corner lights come on, but no headlights? And is this while it’s dark so the sensor knows to activate them? Does your car have the HID headlights?
Old 05-16-24, 04:37 PM
Mudfish
4th Gear

Originally Posted by dwoods801
Let me ask a few questions to understand what exactly is happening. So if the switch is in “off” and the car is running, you have no lights on? Not even the daytime running lights? Do the high beams come on when you activate them? So when you go to the “on” mode, your taillights and all the corner lights come on, but no headlights? And is this while it’s dark so the sensor knows to activate them? Does your car have the HID headlights?
okay car is running and it's dark I switch on the lights and my running lights come on but no headlights. If I switch to Auto position the headlights will come on and the running lights goes out. I have to remove the relay switch to turn out the headlights in the daytime.
Old 05-16-24, 04:38 PM
Mudfish
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mudfish
okay car is running and it's dark I switch on the lights and my running lights come on but no headlights. If I switch to Auto position the headlights will come on and the running lights goes out. I have to remove the relay switch to turn out the headlights in the daytime.
and yes I do have HID lights, I replace them both with new ones.
Old 05-18-24, 07:35 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

So when you say "running lights" are you talking about the fog lights? The yellow lights in the front bumper? Or you talking about the other lights that should come on when you turn on the headlights? Sorry, I have just never heard of the running lights turning off when the headlights are turned on, unless I am misunderstanding what lights your talking about. The fog lights shouldn't be active except when the headlights are turned on, and they should shut off when the high beams are flipped on. The other lights that come on with the headlights, like the corner lights and taillights should come on with the headlights. It sounds like you have some serious issues, its possible whoever owned it before you, could have wired up the lights incorrect, or something like that, cause I have never heard of another GS having issues like your describing. Maybe snap a few photos, and post them so I can see what light you are talking about. Your probably going to need to find a good Automotive technician who is good with wiring and vehicle electronics to diagnose the problem, and figure out the best solution.
Old 05-21-24, 04:06 AM
Mudfish
4th Gear

Originally Posted by dwoods801
So when you say "running lights" are you talking about the fog lights? The yellow lights in the front bumper? Or you talking about the other lights that should come on when you turn on the headlights? Sorry, I have just never heard of the running lights turning off when the headlights are turned on, unless I am misunderstanding what lights your talking about. The fog lights shouldn't be active except when the headlights are turned on, and they should shut off when the high beams are flipped on. The other lights that come on with the headlights, like the corner lights and taillights should come on with the headlights. It sounds like you have some serious issues, its possible whoever owned it before you, could have wired up the lights incorrect, or something like that, cause I have never heard of another GS having issues like your describing. Maybe snap a few photos, and post them so I can see what light you are talking about. Your probably going to need to find a good Automotive technician who is good with wiring and vehicle electronics to diagnose the problem, and figure out the best solution.
I am talking about the tail lights and Corner lights on the car, the fog lights work just fine. The parking lot or tail lights and Corner lights all work fine but no headlights. So when I plug the lights relay in the headlights come on and stay on and won't go off at all. If I turn the switch to auto the headlights stay on but the corner light tail lights goes out if that helps you.