GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Can a Moderately Modded GS4 Take a Stock BMW M3 - 0-60, and Quarter mile?
Yes - Modded GS4 Would Take Stock M3
30.25%
Equal - Both cars equal
5.88%
No - Stock M3 would take Modded GS by small margin
21.01%
NO - Stock M3 would Smoke us!
42.86%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Modded GS4 vs. M3

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 10:42 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you mean Dave or Drew?

If you are talking to me than the FX in one word is "awesome"
The car handles so well with no body roll. Sweet sounding exhaust note. The navigation is the best I have ever seen on any car.
The tech package with rear DVD can hookup to IPOD, playstation, wireless headphones. I wouldn't even classify this car as an SUV because it does not handle or perform like one. This is more like a sport sedan with extra space.

My FX-35 is stock and quick. 0-60mph in 7.2 seconds vs the 6.5 seconds for the FX-45.

I chose the 35 mainly cause of the 7k difference between the two. Secondly, the engine is the same as in the G35 coupe and Nissan Z. There is a lot of aftermarket parts and affordable supercharger that are becoming available more and more. I plan to mod heavily starting next year on the FX.
Old 11-20-03, 10:42 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by apatel
I made a statement about the lower whp based on info I had read on m3 forums a while ago. Maybe that info was wrong or has been updated since. Sorry for the confusion. But I have seen a few reports in which the manual equipped cars are quicker to 60 and over the quarter mile compared to SMG. Heres one http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0212ec_bmwtech/

As you said, the stock manual allows quicker launches but the SMG will alway shift faster. And the SMG equipped cars will always perform better on the track
No worries, apatel. Just want to make sure we put good info out and not a he said - she said type deal...

Incidentally, the article did confirm what I had theorized, once you get used to an SMG, it is possible to get close to the times of a 6spd - but it takes a lot of work. And also, there was no mention of drivetrain loss in that article as well.

Thanks for the info and the link!

Brent
Old 11-20-03, 06:21 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

BLiu,
I appreciate your input especially since you own both.. Though I specified if you had also a Torque Converter and 3.76 Rear, like some guys on here, like DaveGS4, Dex, MeanGene.. They probably have one of the quickest GS's without Force induction.. C'mmon.. be alittle fair.. I pretty sure it can hang with an M3.. with those Modd's.. and You don't have all the modds listed.. I would really like a fair answer. caused m3 is fast but not that fast..
Old 11-20-03, 07:27 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i smell trouble
Old 11-20-03, 08:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by 1QWKGS4
BLiu,
I appreciate your input especially since you own both.. Though I specified if you had also a Torque Converter and 3.76 Rear, like some guys on here, like DaveGS4, Dex, MeanGene.. They probably have one of the quickest GS's without Force induction.. C'mmon.. be alittle fair.. I pretty sure it can hang with an M3.. with those Modd's.. and You don't have all the modds listed.. I would really like a fair answer. caused m3 is fast but not that fast..
sorry man, we are not trying to burst your bubble. what you wish is still what you wish. the gs4 can't be as fast as the m3 that's a fact and that's for sure, simple as that. come on, we talking about the m3, 333hp (and at the wheel is over 300hp), whereas the gs4 with tc has around 260 to 270 at the wheel. tell me one reason why it's going to beat the m3. drivers' skill aside, when a car is faster, it's just faster. and in this case, the m3

and let me mind you, do NOT doubt bliu's car. i have sat in it, and although it does not have a tc, his car is just as fast as one with the tc. there are mods in the car that's strictly confidential, i know it well and so is bliu, and we both know who made those changes on his car to make it that fast. bottom line, if you think bliu's car isn't fast coz' he doesn't have tc? you are wrong.

we are all fair here, that's why we are saying the m3 is faster. if you are still pretty sure it will hang with the m3, sure, go ahead, get the tc and lsd, and race the e46 m3 with a comparable driver. win it and come back tell us. true, m3 is fast but not that fast. 911 turbo is faster, s65/cl65 is faster, enzo is faster. but the m3 is faster than the gs400.

and if you want the time, m3 can do high 4 easy, as long as the driver know a bit about driving stick. or get the smg and floor it, still high 4. rmmgs4 his car has tc, lsd, and his transmission is even rebuilt for better power. go ask him, on a good day, what does he get for 0-60. low 5 is the best i have ever heard, and that's on very good launch. and that's before he put down his 200lb audio setup, so it was as fast as he could get. enough said?
Old 11-20-03, 08:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The GS4 is definitely a great car...but it WAS NEVER meant to be an M3 competitor. Yes you may be able to spend alot of money to get close or top the performance of an M3....but frankly the M3 was designed straight from the factory for performance. The GS/Aristo platform however was not built to match or even come close to the M3. If it was a fair head on game, the IS platform would be the most formidable comparison and the GS with the 5 series. The GS is definintely a great car, but it was never meant to beat OR COMPETE w/any E46 or even E36 M's for that matter. I'm definitely a Toyota die-hard but the comparison here is kind of a waste of time. It's like trying to argue an analogy of a modded Civic Si beating a Lancer Evo or STi for that matter. The fact of the matter is, the latter of the two cars were factory built with performance in mind. You can put all the money in the world to make a car fast, but do you realize how much time and effort is put into it? You'd probably be spending more money on mods to make it as fast as a factory made benchmark. If you bought that factory made benchmark (i.e. E46, Evo, Sti or etc), you'd probably be better off buying that and modding it to be faster than what it was supposed to be....and probably way less than making a slow car go fast.

Last edited by flipside909; 11-20-03 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-20-03, 09:17 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Okay, point taken.. I really do appreciate the honest opinions!
I was just hoping all the money-We've been putting in our cars would atleast match that M3., but the facts are logical and reasonable.. A friend of mine who owns a 911 Carerra always said " If you want a faster car, BUY a Faster car.." Maybe thats true.. But I was just trying to justify in my head all these thousand of dollars did something !!

Thanks all.

QWK

p.s. How about a AMG E55 Supercharged? Now we're talking fast..

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 11-20-03 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-21-03, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by 1QWKGS4
Okay, point taken.. I really do appreciate the honest opinions!
I was just hoping all the money-We've been putting in our cars would atleast match that M3., but the facts are logical and reasonable.. A friend of mine who owns a 911 Carerra always said " If you want a faster car, BUY a Faster car.." Maybe thats true.. But I was just trying to justify in my head all these thousand of dollars did something !!

Thanks all.

QWK

p.s. How about a AMG E55 Supercharged? Now we're talking fast..
you are absolutely right man. trust me when i say i want the size and luxury of the gs4, together with its awesome reliability, but at the same time i can go on the street and kick on m3 or m5 butt. but i have to admit that the bmw engineering is just incredible. with their NA engine m3 and m5 are just two master piece of machines they created.

now if you throw in supercharge and turbocharge as well, man the mb is on a roll these couple of yrs. look at their amg lineup, they are crazy cars. the e55 auto is actually faster than the m5, and their new upcoming s65 and cl65 bi turbo... geezzz.... i swear, i would be damned when that HUGE tank run away from me like i am standing still
Old 11-21-03, 07:50 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amateur question and off the thread discussion: what is RWHP and all around wheel HP? GS4 advertised to have 300 HP, is this what the car can generate at peak? I have wondered about these terms for sometimes and it's really bugging me. Can someone educate me please?

From reading this thread, you guy make me drool over M3

Last edited by sung35; 11-21-03 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 08:01 AM
apatel
Pole Position

Originally posted by rominl
come on, we talking about the m3, 333hp (and at the wheel is over 300hp),
Umm, don't mean to be picky here but where did you see stock m3s putting out over 300whp? The M3 dyno charts I've seen usually put out in the ~270s at the wheels.

http://www.ecisbmw.com/product_files...20injector.htm

http://www.activeautowerke.com/dyno/...1_M3_AAExh.asp

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...e46pullies.jpg

Maybe if the M3 has a lot of DINAN goodies available in the S M3 packages, it might put out over 300whp but not a stock M3.
Old 11-21-03, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by sung35
Amateur question and off the thread discussion: what is RWHP and all around wheel HP? GS4 advertised to have 300 HP, is this what the car can generate at peak? I have wondered about these terms for sometimes and it's really bugging me. Can someone educate me please?

From reading this thread, you guy make me drool over M3
rwhp = rear wheel hp. gs4 and m3 they are rear wheel drive car, so it's rwhp. 300hp that's at the crank

and yea, you should drool over the m3
Old 11-21-03, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Umm, don't mean to be picky here but where did you see stock m3s putting out over 300whp? The M3 dyno charts I've seen usually put out in the ~270s at the wheels.

Maybe if the M3 has a lot of DINAN goodies available in the S M3 packages, it might put out over 300whp but not a stock M3.
opps, sorry about that. could be the case that what i read was from people with modded m3 (intake and exhaust). i stand corrected, sorry
Old 11-21-03, 10:03 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

An interesting side note of the new E46 M3 is that it has been extremely challenging getting a dyno run on the car. I am not sure exactly what the issue is but I have heard a few owners pulling their hair out (if they have any) trying to get an accurate dyno run from the E46 M3...

The new AMG E55 is AWESOME!!!! But that's only because BMW has not released it's new ugly M5. Rumors have it that the engine is a V10 and output is close to 500HP!!!! WOW, totally NA!!!

Brent
Old 11-21-03, 10:42 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Default hmmmmm

With this new information about M3's dyno numbers(Thanks Apatel) - Goes back to what I was saying - I think the Modded GS will atleast hang with a STOCK M3 if not equal to it..

By no means - I have enough B/S to say its faster.

Thanks All.

The Poll is somewhat close.. Yah / Nay

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 11-21-03 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 10:51 AM
apatel
Pole Position

Originally posted by BLiu
An interesting side note of the new E46 M3 is that it has been extremely challenging getting a dyno run on the car. I am not sure exactly what the issue is but I have heard a few owners pulling their hair out (if they have any) trying to get an accurate dyno run from the E46 M3...

The new AMG E55 is AWESOME!!!! But that's only because BMW has not released it's new ugly M5. Rumors have it that the engine is a V10 and output is close to 500HP!!!! WOW, totally NA!!!

Brent
Yup, I had heard that too about dynoing m3s being a pain. But it seems some people have figured out how too.

http://www.dynoperformance.com/artic...ails.php?ID=26

The new M5 will be the bomb but I just can't get over the looks I'd be happy with a current generation M5 or the M3.

opps, sorry about that. could be the case that what i read was from people with modded m3 (intake and exhaust). i stand corrected, sorry
No prob man...I made a mistake a few posts ago too I love this forum though...even though I don't own a GS anymore, I still like to visit and see whats goin on because its just a great community.

Quick Reply: POLL: Modded GS4 vs. M3