GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Can a Moderately Modded GS4 Take a Stock BMW M3 - 0-60, and Quarter mile?
Yes - Modded GS4 Would Take Stock M3
30.25%
Equal - Both cars equal
5.88%
No - Stock M3 would take Modded GS by small margin
21.01%
NO - Stock M3 would Smoke us!
42.86%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Modded GS4 vs. M3

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-03, 10:54 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: hmmmmm

Originally posted by 1QWKGS4
With this new information about M3's dyno numbers(Thanks Apatel) - Goes back to what I was saying - I think the Modded GS will atleast hang with a STOCK M3 if not equal to it..

By no means - I have enough B/S to say its faster.

Thanks All.

The Poll is somewhat close.. Yah / Nay
I don't think a TC, Intake, Exhaust, and LSD will give the Lexus an extra 33 HP to even match the HP output of the M3. It's not theortically possible with those mods. Let's not talk about weight, and drivetrain (remember? the GS is an AUTOMATIC) if a Lexus can even achieve 333HP with those mods.

If it makes you feel better that our GS's can take an M3 if it's modded - OK, I say you are right! Feel better? I will go now and cast my vote in favor that the modded GS can take an M3...

Personally, I don't even know how anyone would take for serious the results of the poll - IT'S A JOKE!!!!

Just go and spend the money on the GS to mod it and then race an M3 and let us know that you killed it OK?

You ARE planning on modding your GS...right?

Brent
Old 11-21-03, 11:44 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Dude Calm down..
Theres no need to bash - We're all Lexus Family here.
It just we have some M3's were I live and their scared to even race my friends Eclipse GSX.
Kinda cocky but won't race - scared of the Importers..HAHA

I 've even seen them taunting us and won't really all out race - From what i seen- They don't have that much power, or maybe they can't drive - the fact is I haven't seen anyone with an M3 with *****. They always ride around like their something and frankly scared of a Ecilpse GSX.. <Says something>

When I am done modding - with the complete list- Should be next week. I'll be heading to the track to find some M3's but doubt I find any always see the Audi Turbo Crowd ,The Acura/Honda boys, Corvette/Mustang crowd.

Peace Bro.
Old 11-21-03, 11:49 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 1QWKGS4
Hey Dude Calm down..
Theres no need to bash - We're all Lexus Family here.
It just we have some M3's were I live and their scared to even race my friends Eclipse GSX.
Kinda cocky but won't race - scared of the Importers..HAHA

I 've even seen them taunting us and won't really all out race - From what i seen- They don't have that much power, or maybe they can't drive - the fact is I haven't seen anyone with an M3 with *****. They always ride around like their something and frankly scared of a Ecilpse GSX.. <Says something>

When I am done modding - with the complete list- Should be next week. I'll be heading to the track to find some M3's but doubt I find any always see the Audi Turbo Crowd ,The Acura/Honda boys, Corvette/Mustang crowd.

Peace Bro.
No Worries! It's Friday! Been a long week...

Let us know how you do! I hope those M3 drivers in your area don't race on the streets but they still sound like grannies...

Good to hear that you are taking it to the track! Let us know how you do! Cheers!

Brent
Old 11-21-03, 11:55 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up i'm sorry

but show me a m3 that lost only 10% of its horse power on a dyno. Very hard to believe. a stock m3 with 300 to the earth, possible but not likely every time. every car is different, i have seen 300hp vettes to the rear wheel and then seen a 268 rwhp vette, it just happens i guess.
Old 11-21-03, 12:25 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Default Fireballs GS400

Hey Fireballs,
You are right! All cars are not built equally.. Some Cars are slower than avg. some alot faster..
Hence the Magazine Articles testing M3's with 0-60 Mph from 4.7 secs to 5.3 Secs.. Thats horrible if you happen to get an M3 thats on the slow side... Can you say - get eaten by an S2000.. Ouch..
But then again for those lucky to have the fast ones - Do one or two Modds and bamm your a Corvette killer..

Back to The topic a Stock GS's range is 5.7-6.1 (0-60mph) Correct?
With those modds, alot of people have claimed .6 sec off stock. so Modded GS should do (0-60mph) in 5.1-5.5 Secs Right??

An M3 should Average around 5.0-5.1 Secs right (thats with professional driving - you know they dis-engage the clutch on those test launches to get the better times!!!) So About the same I would say with avg times and avg. driver.

Unless you meet up with a fast one then
your toast..!

Anyways its fun talking about this cause I wanted to buy an M3 myself it just would be really nice to have a lexus with M3's performance- Hence you save $55 Grand and have the best of both worlds!!!

Peace everyone..

Thanks for all the write-ups - BLiu -

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 11-21-03 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-21-03, 12:35 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Do you mean Dave or Drew?

If you are talking to me than the FX in one word is "awesome"
The car handles so well with no body roll. Sweet sounding exhaust note. The navigation is the best I have ever seen on any car.
The tech package with rear DVD can hookup to IPOD, playstation, wireless headphones. I wouldn't even classify this car as an SUV because it does not handle or perform like one. This is more like a sport sedan with extra space.

My FX-35 is stock and quick. 0-60mph in 7.2 seconds vs the 6.5 seconds for the FX-45.

I chose the 35 mainly cause of the 7k difference between the two. Secondly, the engine is the same as in the G35 coupe and Nissan Z. There is a lot of aftermarket parts and affordable supercharger that are becoming available more and more. I plan to mod heavily starting next year on the FX.
Sorry Drew, it's you i'm talking to!

Saw the FX moves on the highway... AGODDAM!!! FAST!!! I think it's a tough call between staying within the Lexus family or getting the FX with sweet design and fast powerful engine! Thanks for sharing your experience and plans on what you'll be doing to the FX... AWESOME!
Old 11-21-03, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: i'm sorry

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
but show me a m3 that lost only 10% of its horse power on a dyno. Very hard to believe. a stock m3 with 300 to the earth, possible but not likely every time. every car is different, i have seen 300hp vettes to the rear wheel and then seen a 268 rwhp vette, it just happens i guess.
well european has been very conservative on hp numbers. i have seen m5 with dyno results saying 38xhp, and i have read that the new e55, someone dyno'd it and the powertrain loss is purely not true (can't be the case). it only shows that europeans are being very conservative on hp (at crank)

japanese is naother story, they poist the real number to push whatever they can. heard of the mazda rx8 story?
Old 11-21-03, 02:22 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i sold my gs400 and baught a 2003 m3 smg2, and as much as i loved my gs its no match for the m3,even porsches have a hard time keeping up
Old 11-21-03, 03:31 PM
LexFather

BLiu owned both, he knows way more than we do.
Old 11-21-03, 03:34 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Thumbs up Lets Give BLiu Some Props!

Lets see some pics of your GS and M3!!

You Da Man!!
Old 11-21-03, 11:52 PM
KGS4
Driver School Candidate

I understand that the M3 is faster than my GS400 but I couldn't help pulling along side a new M3 at a signal tonight. When the signal turned green, we both took off and initially he was pulling away from me (almost a car length) and then I started to catch up and I passed him (by almost a car length and then we both slowed down)! He might have had a bad shift or something but who cares...I won in the end.
Old 11-21-03, 11:56 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

RWHP numbers aren't all that matters. My engine with a chip has only slightly less hp than an M3, although it is about 350lbs heavier. I have been in E46 M3's and they pull about like my car but they start pulling 1500rpms sooner and pull for another 800rpm to redline. That makes a HUGE difference. Just think of how fast your GS would be if you had another 1000rpm before you had to shift?

BMW builds their M cars with the philosophy that it is better to make torque at high rpm so that you can take advantage of gearing. Hence, a high-revving na engine in the new M5 that will be a much more enjoyable engine than a blown Mercedes. I heard a rumor that AMG's director quit and is headed to BMW Motorsport. It is likely that it is because they now slap an AMG badge on anything and stick the same engines in normal Mercedes S class cars. Not like the days where Porsche builts some AMG cars for Mercedes (early 90's E500).
Old 11-23-03, 01:13 PM
JaxFL
Rookie

Originally posted by KKelly
BMW builds their M cars with the philosophy that it is better to make torque at high rpm so that you can take advantage of gearing. Hence, a high-revving na engine in the new M5 that will be a much more enjoyable engine than a blown Mercedes. I heard a rumor that AMG's director quit and is headed to BMW Motorsport. It is likely that it is because they now slap an AMG badge on anything and stick the same engines in normal Mercedes S class cars. Not like the days where Porsche builts some AMG cars for Mercedes (early 90's E500).
AMG makes some very special cars. I think they may not go far enough on the suspension side if anything but dismissing the cars as 'normal enigned with a badge slapped on' is probably not accurate. I just picked up a C32 last night and after driving 1,200 miles I'm very impressed with it.

Regarding the topic at large (modded GS400 vs M3): I ran my stock GS400 (with ultra light 18" wheels) against my brother's 2003 E500. From a slow roll both cars were dead even. I mean to the inch, nobody could pull at all. Today I ran his E500 against my C32 and it wasn't even close. The C32 is pretty even with an M3 especially from a roll. So since his car is dead even to the inch with my GS400 I could basically picture how much of a deficit the stock GS400 has to overcome with mods. It really seemed like my brother wasn't trying, that's how bad I beat him. But I was on the cell with him and I knew he'd been flooring it. I guess we went from a 45-55 MPH roll. He kept backing out early once I quickly got a couple of car lengths on him. I'd say a stock M3 would put bus lengths on a stock GS400 if both drivers stayed in the race from 30-130 or so. That really is meaningless because the GS has so much going for it outside of straightline speed (which it also has plenty of).

Kevin
Old 11-24-03, 12:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by JaxFL
AMG makes some very special cars. I think they may not go far enough on the suspension side if anything but dismissing the cars as 'normal enigned with a badge slapped on' is probably not accurate. I just picked up a C32 last night and after driving 1,200 miles I'm very impressed with it.

Regarding the topic at large (modded GS400 vs M3): I ran my stock GS400 (with ultra light 18" wheels) against my brother's 2003 E500. From a slow roll both cars were dead even. I mean to the inch, nobody could pull at all. Today I ran his E500 against my C32 and it wasn't even close. The C32 is pretty even with an M3 especially from a roll. So since his car is dead even to the inch with my GS400 I could basically picture how much of a deficit the stock GS400 has to overcome with mods. It really seemed like my brother wasn't trying, that's how bad I beat him. But I was on the cell with him and I knew he'd been flooring it. I guess we went from a 45-55 MPH roll. He kept backing out early once I quickly got a couple of car lengths on him. I'd say a stock M3 would put bus lengths on a stock GS400 if both drivers stayed in the race from 30-130 or so. That really is meaningless because the GS has so much going for it outside of straightline speed (which it also has plenty of).

Kevin
ah we got ourselves a comparison here
Old 11-24-03, 03:39 AM
LexFather

Dude, how have u been? AIn't seen u in a minute.

Quick Reply: POLL: Modded GS4 vs. M3