GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car sometimes has trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-24, 09:18 AM
gs30
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car sometimes has trouble starting

Hello everyone,
So I've hit a solid concrete wall. Recently my car has decided to take its time starting. There are times where it starts right up and other times where i have to crank it a few times. I have replaced and done a few things to try and diagnose and fix the issue such as:
-New spark plugs
-New fuel pump
-New fuel injectors
-Alternator and starter were replaced no more than 20000 miles ago.
-Battery is also brand new.
-Most of the sensors on it are OEM and fairly new as well. (Cam, Crank, Knock, MAF, and a few others as well)

I've put a scanner on it and the only thing that comes up is just an O2 sensor which im already aware of (just a wiring issue that ive just been pushing to the side for quite awhile). I would really appreciate any advice or help. Thanks
Old 08-16-24, 12:05 PM
tammap
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gs30
Hello everyone,
So I've hit a solid concrete wall. Recently my car has decided to take its time starting. There are times where it starts right up and other times where i have to crank it a few times. I have replaced and done a few things to try and diagnose and fix the issue such as:
-New spark plugs
-New fuel pump
-New fuel injectors
-Alternator and starter were replaced no more than 20000 miles ago.
-Battery is also brand new.
-Most of the sensors on it are OEM and fairly new as well. (Cam, Crank, Knock, MAF, and a few others as well)

I've put a scanner on it and the only thing that comes up is just an O2 sensor which im already aware of (just a wiring issue that ive just been pushing to the side for quite awhile). I would really appreciate any advice or help. Thanks
There are 4 areas that you need to check.

- Coil wires
- Coils
- Igniter
- ECM

First, you need to check your coil wires; resistance on each wire should not be more than 25 kohms. Replace the wires if it is more than 25kohms.
Second, check your coils.

If everything checks out. Get back to me.
Old 08-18-24, 06:23 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

s it just cranking over slowly? Or is it cranking at full speed and just not starting til it's cranked over a few times? If it's cranking slowly, then it's going to be on the starting end of things, could be a bad battery cable or something. If it's cranking at full speed but not starting til it's cranked over a few times then that's am issue with engine. Possible the fuel pressure isnt holding when you turn it off, so it's to build pressure when your cranking it over, it could be a few things.help me with the symptoms and I will try to help upi point the issue.
Old 08-27-24, 10:02 AM
gs30
Rookie

So i just tested the coil packs(with a cold engine). From the terminals i got 0.8 ohms on all three packs. From the second test i got 12 kohms. So it was a bit over on that first test, does that matter or no?

And to answer you question dwoods, its cranking at full speed.

Really appreciate the help
Old 08-27-24, 07:23 PM
tammap
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gs30
So i just tested the coil packs(with a cold engine). From the terminals i got 0.8 ohms on all three packs. From the second test i got 12 kohms. So it was a bit over on that first test, does that matter or no?

And to answer you question dwoods, its cranking at full speed.

Really appreciate the help
High Primany coil winding resistance can definitely cause weak sparks. Before condemming defective coils, check the connectors. A dirty connector wiring can cause high resistance

Check both male and female connectors and its wiring also. Attached is a link to a very contact cleaner.

Amazon Amazon
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
gs30
Rookie

Originally Posted by dwoods801
s it just cranking over slowly? Or is it cranking at full speed and just not starting til it's cranked over a few times? If it's cranking slowly, then it's going to be on the starting end of things, could be a bad battery cable or something. If it's cranking at full speed but not starting til it's cranked over a few times then that's am issue with engine. Possible the fuel pressure isnt holding when you turn it off, so it's to build pressure when your cranking it over, it could be a few things.help me with the symptoms and I will try to help upi point the issue.
What would be the possible issues or solution if it was the fuel pressure?