GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Update, newbie buying a GS400

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 03:00 PM
kmh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update, newbie buying a GS400

OK, heres the scoop;
1999 GS400, white
30,000 miles
Rear Spoiler
Sun Roof
HID Headlights
Nak Stereo
17" Wheel
(no Nav)
as mentioned before Car is super clean
dealer asking $29,000, won't budge
he can provide 4.9% financing...

watcha think?

Test Drive tomorrow am

kmh
Old 12-02-03, 03:41 PM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest going to autotrader.com and check out what other gs400's are going for in your area....but for $29,000, it seems like a relatively good deal.

i bought my gs400 3-years old and with 33,000 miles with all of your options for $28,900.

I would suggest looking at the tires, the tires on my gs400 were worn out and once i told the dealer, he replaced them with some brand new yokohamas...if i didn't tell him i'm sure he would not have replaced them....

have fun with the test drive and make sure you hit the throttle all the way to get the full effect of the 300 ponies.
Old 12-02-03, 03:47 PM
KevsGS
Driver

seems pretty good for only having 30k miles. enjoy the test drive.
Old 12-02-03, 04:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Is this car being purchased at a Lexus Dealer with the CPO warranty?
Old 12-02-03, 05:27 PM
kmh
Driver School Candidate

No unfortuanately...
kmh
Old 12-03-03, 07:36 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

go to kelly blue book. kbb.com. check out the price....

"Private Party Value $27,435
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party. "
Old 12-03-03, 07:37 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

plus i wouldnt deal w/ anyone that says they are not negotiable. everything is negotiable. if he wount budge on price, like the other ppl said, look at tires, breaks, maint records, etc. maybe say ok, put new tires, etc.
Old 12-03-03, 08:42 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by koreanpers
plus i wouldnt deal w/ anyone that says they are not negotiable. everything is negotiable. if he wount budge on price, like the other ppl said, look at tires, breaks, maint records, etc. maybe say ok, put new tires, etc.
Echo Koreanpers: I wouldn't deal with terms and conditions as in NON-Negotiable. Everything has its price and deal is a only a good deal, ONLY when both parties give up something that value to them to make the deal happens! Your case, you give up the right to have a CPO Warranty Lexus, you gave up the right to return the car @ no question ask promise (yeah my dealer gave me 6 days to drive it, if i'm not happy with the car, i can just return it and get my money back), you give up the Nav! the list could go on!

So here you can ask him: Give you new tires, new wiperblades, new battery, new radiator weather strip, new airfilter, new cabin filter... etc. the list can go on! Remember, you have NO Warranty on this car since you buy it from a Private owner right???? Once you buy it from him, sign the dotted line, it's your car, and if the car has problems, they are now yours to eat too!

Take the car to a certified Mech and pay him $100 to check your car out!

Man do a search on this forums on how to buy a used Lexus. Good info. is given from time to time.

Price: It's ok!
Old 12-03-03, 01:53 PM
hawk
Driver

only 30k miles seems low...oddities are always worth checking out, esp if not buying direct from original owner...yadda yadda yadda...could mean it was used sparingly but to me, i'd check to make sure it wasn't out of commission b/c an accident or something....yeah, that's paranoid, but you're buying something that has the potential to be a financial nightmare if it has a bad history

a couple things:

1) run the car through carfax
2) take vin # to lex dealership to have them check their records
3) call your insurance agency...some agencies will take the VIN # and push it through a separate check that brings up some stuff definitely not on carfax.com and maybe not on the lexus dealer network records....also, some insurance companies will tell u what value they'll insure the car for....never pay more than this

4) it being overpriced is debatable, BUT....everything's negotiable. try to find out how long the car has been in their inventory. at lex dealers, they try to get rid of stuff after 30-45 days and will be more likely to cut a deal on a car that's been there for a while
5) the Kelly Blue Book was started by Car dealers and for Car Dealers.....never forget that......a combination of local and national search on autotrader.com tends to be a better indicator of what the car's worth

also, a while back i put a huge post on for a guy looking for a used GS.....there's also a bunch of great info/suggestions from other guys, too. here's the link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=96249

EDIT---One quick way to exclude a car from your list:
pop the hood, make sure none of the bolts along the black rails going up the side of the car from the front end to the windshield have NEVER been turned (they're black bolts on black rails that will be scratched up if ever turned).....Also, pull up the carpet in the trunk...make sure there are no post-factory welds.....all of this stuff typically means that the car's ummm.....structural virginity is compromised

Last edited by hawk; 12-03-03 at 01:58 PM.