GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

MY new CPO car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-03, 08:10 AM
chinspot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY new CPO car won't start

Hi guys,

I just purchased 00 GS300 less then 1 month ago, and this morning . the car won't even start ... no crank... the headlights all working ... so that's mean is not the battery, right ?...

Arrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh .... now waiting for the roadside assistance !!!!!! :P
Old 12-05-03, 09:01 AM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear that, since it is a RECENTLY purchased CPO car i would complain like hell to the manager at the dealership and hopefully he should give you something like a free oil & change, etc. for your disappointment...
Old 12-05-03, 09:20 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yah.....call the CPO manager. Complain how it was such an inconvenience to you. Maybe drop a few choice words like returning the car....LOL! That'll surely get their attention.

Good luck.

Pete
Old 12-05-03, 09:27 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Whoa guys - just cause it is a CPO car doesn't mean it will be perfect (even the brand new ones aren't). These things are mechanical and they do break!
Old 12-05-03, 10:01 AM
chinspot
Driver School Candidate

Default Updates --

The Tow Man come and he say it's the battery !! ... but still it's less than 1 month old !!! I didn't leave the light on last night ..

so I drove to the dealer and complaint !!! and they check in the car .... and the best part is they give me TOYOTA COROLLA for a loaner which I have to pay $10 !!!!!!!!! GS300 for a COROLLA .. the guy said 1st come 1st serve ... and also he said, the lady have kids so she deserve the ES .....

OK..... more complaint now on my head that I will have on my CPO guy !!!
Old 12-05-03, 10:09 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Updates --

Originally posted by chinspot
The Tow Man come and he say it's the battery !! ... but still it's less than 1 month old !!! I didn't leave the light on last night ..

so I drove to the dealer and complaint !!! and they check in the car .... and the best part is they give me TOYOTA COROLLA for a loaner which I have to pay $10 !!!!!!!!! GS300 for a COROLLA .. the guy said 1st come 1st serve ... and also he said, the lady have kids so she deserve the ES .....

OK..... more complaint now on my head that I will have on my CPO guy !!!
Uh oh, this sounds like another dealer "nightmare" story It's definitely unfair for the dealer to lend the ES to the kid-caring lady Talk to the CPO or sales manager about your situation, and if things go unsolved from there, call up the Lexus Customer Assistance Ctr at 1-800-25-LEXUS.
Old 12-05-03, 10:11 AM
dizzle
Rookie

What's CPO mean?
Old 12-05-03, 10:28 AM
chinspot
Driver School Candidate

Default CPO = Certified PreOwned

And that's if they really do the check !!!
Old 12-05-03, 10:32 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certified Pre Owned
Old 12-05-03, 11:32 AM
fudsnob
Driver School Candidate

chinspot,

Which dealer/service department are you working with? I'm curious, as it seems that no one at Lexus dealers in my area (SF Bay Area) would offer such a flippant response to your concern.
Old 12-05-03, 11:55 AM
chinspot
Driver School Candidate

The dealer name is Lexus Kearny Mesa down here in San Diego .. I just talked to my sales rep and he will take care of it so I won't need to pay for anything including the loaner car ...

I hope the car only need a new battery not anything else ....

BTW, anyone here have a reference to a lexus Techinician here in San Diego, It would be great to have somebody that CL peeps know...
Old 12-05-03, 11:56 AM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Default CPO. issue

Sorry to hear about your problem man. First of all, not all CPO's go under extensive scrutiny (128 points.)
The dealer might argue that the battery is not a part of the warranty, which is true , but normally, they should give you a new one to make you happy without further argument and the car is less than 1 month old under you.

If they won't give you a new battery, what would I do the next time the car won't start, I will NEVER drive to the dealership. I will pick up the phone and demand to the Customer Care for them to pick up the car from my home, check it out and then deliver it back. This way it is more expensive for them to rent/pay a wrecker round trip versus giving you a new battery.

About your loaner car, normally, you have an appointment to have an allocation of a loaner, the same with pick up and delivery service. If you just drive by the dealership , they may not have an extra loaner for you for that particular day. If they were the one who told you to go there, they should somehow provide you a loaner, unless you showed up at the service bay without them knowing.

Even if they had given you a Corolla, it should be free because they have to provide 24 hour roadside assistance which should be covered under CPO program. Also beware that not all CPO's, major maintenance services are current. They have the option to do the major service when the car is about 2000 miles close to the next service, otherwise, they just certify without doing the service. Also the previous owner might not be up to date with the service. Normally, in the CPO, they just test the battery, and when it is "OK." They will certify without replacing it, therefore, you don't know when the battery will be dead. You should have demanded new battery, new tires, etc..etc...and show you proof that the next major service had been done prior delivery. Of course, don't forget them to deliver you the CPO Certificate and go thru with you all components covered. Due to the excitement of most buyers, salesmen skip this procedure assuming buyer, knows nothing.

I hope this information could be of help to you. DO NOT assume that when a car is CPO it is perfect. The tire might look new but the thread won't allow you to drive another year. They don't normally install new tires to CPO when the car could be operated safely without new replacement to save money.

Lastly, make sure that your dealer recorded your name properly in the Lexus data bank as CPO. You might had purchase the car as a CPO and paid CPO price but unfortunately, the car is NOT in fact a CPO @ the Lexus Headquarter in Torrance and you may have problems in the future when you bring your car to another Lexus service department. This thing happend to one of my friend two years ago and I had a hard time helping him reconcile their records to have a free Nakamichi replacement because Lexus said his car is not registered as CPO and sad to say, he was the 4th owner. He assumed that his car was 2 years "off lease". His car was leased by 3 other people prior to him buying it and it was certified in his contract while NOT certified @ Lexus record. Lexus explained that the car should not pass certification despite low miles (45K miles) since it was owned by another person already and the car should NOT be certified twice.....LOL.... Believe me, by looking at his car , it looks like it just got off the showroom.

This might be off topic but just want to share some bad experience of a friend about CPO.

Sorry to hear your disappointment. I hope they will take care of you.
Old 12-05-03, 12:21 PM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Default Charging him for a loaner...

I think the reason why he was charged for the Corolla, is that because they haven't straightened (spl/chk?)
out their records and the service department thought it was not certified.

And also I think, the best person he had contacted was his salesperson. That way, his salesperson could have arranged service, sending them to his home and install new battery without him visiting the service department causing him disappoinment.

Chinspot, if there's anything more ( problems, issues /concern ) in your car, this is the best time for you to go over with your salesperson since got the first battery issue. If you have a mechanic, have him look over your car in detail, what is needed or may had been overlooked in the CPO process. Ask the CPO Certificate from your salesman, showing each items inspected/ repaired /or replaced. Do this while the issue is still fresh and you are getting their attention at this point. Otherwise bring in your car in the showroom and do your complain loudly infront of the LS430 customers shopping for ...
...............December Not Certified to Remember..............

Old 12-05-03, 09:31 PM
chinspot
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

After talking to another service manager, he waived the loaner car fee .... :-)

after work, droved the COROLLA back to the dealer and now I'm back with my car ... and wish nothing would go wrong in the near future !! ...

Last edited by chinspot; 12-05-03 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-05-03, 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

The car's 3 years old. Batteries die. It's not a 'nightmare' as someone said. Glad it's all straightened out now.

Quick Reply: MY new CPO car won't start