GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS really BAD on Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-03, 06:40 AM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to 2nd, or 3rd the notion of a GS being nearly worthless in NY snowy conditions.. I owned a 93 GS (sold) and now a 2000 and they both have been equally as terrible to drive in even the smallest amount of snow... NO traction... (I know tires could have attributed) I couldn't get out of a parking spot which was on a slight 10-20 degree incline in approx 1/2 " of snow last winter... Last march my GS SLID sideways down a 20-30? deg (slight incline, NO mountain) for about 15' and almost slid in to a fire hydrant ..... Anyway, Just use Lots of care/Caution when driving a rwd lexus in the snow.... Now, on the other hand my ML benz (sold) handled like a F_kin' DREAM in the snow!!! ... The rest of that car fell apart and was worthless... but I could tackle the snowiest of conditions in it..... yea 4wd!! Now we need a 4wd GS!!
Old 12-07-03, 07:21 AM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankfully, my GS is tucked in my garage for the snow.

I use my company beater that has AWD.

Although I did spend about 45 minutes yesterday with my buddy trying to get his 3 series bmw in his driveway and then into the garage. That car was spinning like crazy
Old 12-07-03, 07:23 AM
hitechgs3t
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Captain Bone
I don't know what any of these people are talking about. Maybe it's only the 400?

In my 300 on snow mode with Michelin Pilot A/S tires, I've never had a huge problem. Just take everything slow and it's ok. But, like I said, the 400 may be worse.

-Anthony
yeah i have 01 gs300 with 16in factory tire...last winter bizzard in pa... my car drive fine..i was very surprise but this year the lexus is stayin the garage..bring out my new suv acura mdx
Old 12-07-03, 07:59 AM
etnarp
Driver School Candidate

winter tires and a common sense driving approach= minimal problems
Old 12-07-03, 08:45 AM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Lexus sedans are not that great winter performer, but I'd hate to loose my car. Currently I'm keeping my 20 inch on my LS430 for the winter, and trying to geat a cheap winterbeater ($1000). The cost of snow tires would be almost the same anyways.
Old 12-07-03, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,563 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque
I'm confused here.

Why would anyone think that a heavy RWD car with an open differential (at least, for those of us still with the factory setup), even with dedicated snows, would be anything other than marginal at best???

You can put snow tires on IF you have LSD and probably do reasonably well; otherwise, park it when the snow flies.
The voice of reason. The answer to your question is because the 'anyone' is confused, not you.
Old 12-07-03, 09:28 AM
newyorker
Driver

Default well

i decide to buy a cayyane s
I went to the dealer and saw one that I like...I will keep my GS....this is good..
I don't like lexus trucks they are weak...
I also looked at VW tourag, which looks good to me buy my father want cayane s...
( I wish I can have turbo one..hehe)
problem solved for me....now I don't have to drive my lovely GS in snow.
Old 12-07-03, 09:28 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't drive my SC400 in the snow but I thought that the Traction Control System that it shares with the GS400 was to prevent spinning. Last winter I helped a guy with a GS400 get out of a snowy 7-11 parking lot. He thought his tranny was gone because it wouldn't spin at all. I showed him how to turn off the TRAC and we got him moving. However, once he found he could spin he had no idea how to take advantage of that, he just floored it and tried to burn his way out.

No matter what the condition of your tires and the differential setup/traction control system you have, if you couple it with a lead foot it spells disaster. From many years of driving RWD heavy American cars with and without LSDs in the mountains of upstate NY, I know that almost any car will go in the winter with good snow tires and moderation in the use of the gas pedal. And don't forget, once you get moving those same tires are the ones that will make you stop. Don't over-drive your stopping distance.

George
Old 12-07-03, 09:54 AM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

I concur that the GS is terible in the snow, worst than any other car I drove in snow ,not safe at all. On a red light I wasn t able to move the car it would just skid the rear in to the parked cars.
Old 12-07-03, 12:40 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

All I know is that I put the snow mode on, bought 4 Yokahama snow tires and my lex is fun and safe in the snow. Really don't have that many problems.
Ant maybe we just enjoy the fun in the snow more than others?
Old 12-07-03, 01:48 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Carpe Diem
However, once he found he could spin he had no idea how to take advantage of that, he just floored it and tried to burn his way out.
WORD OF CAUTION!!!

Those that get stuck with their cars, DO NOT KEEP SPINNING THE WHEELS AND "ROCKING" THE CAR you will ruin your tranny. Do not just sit there flooring it with the speedo indicating upwards of 120mph!

Last winter was my first in New England, I never drove my GS, but a few times once the roads where clear, I took it out and got stuck on 1-2"of snow (still had 20s on ). Well my tranny went caput in June!! My boss' friend has a tranny shop and he said after a bad winter he is FLOODED with shot trannies from people that "rock out" or floor it like Carpe said
Old 12-07-03, 02:46 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Last winter, I had a 1996 Es300 with stock rims and plain old Cooper Brand Tires and it was great in the snow. I was in stop and go Brooklyn all winter and I never got stuck. I haven't taken out my GS yet but I think I might downgrade to regular 16" rims and all season tires. Also, I think it depends on how heavy your foot is. I see lots of Livery Lincoln Town cars and Crown Victorias donig great in the snow.
Old 12-07-03, 03:44 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

The GS's with 17" Wheels came with SUMMER tires. You can NOT drive in the snow with SUMMER tires - they turn to glass (i.e. they get very hard at lower temps) and you just sit there. Traction control, snow mode, weight in the trunk, etc. WILL DO NOTHING. You have to put snow tires on. All seasons will work, but they are an all season compromise. Dedicated summer/winter tires are the way to go - even on a 4 wheel drive vehicle!

Doug
Old 12-07-03, 09:48 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

heres my opinon. Just move to florida. no snow, then you can drive like retards year round. Cause if your spinning your tires and still giving it gas thinking the car is gonna finnally say "You know what, im gonna grab the ice this time. Even though i couldnt grab it at the last 10 lights." then you probably drive like monkey terds. Join the rest of us monkey terds down here in florida and quit your griping. Delete this if you must, but thats my opinion on a recockulous topic.

Last edited by Stage3; 12-07-03 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 05:35 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by doug_999
The GS's with 17" Wheels came with SUMMER tires. You can NOT drive in the snow with SUMMER tires - they turn to glass (i.e. they get very hard at lower temps) and you just sit there. Traction control, snow mode, weight in the trunk, etc. WILL DO NOTHING. You have to put snow tires on. All seasons will work, but they are an all season compromise. Dedicated summer/winter tires are the way to go - even on a 4 wheel drive vehicle!

Doug
okay maybe its just people with GS400's and 17" wheels.......i have those 17's so does captainbone i have BRAND NEW tires on my car with plenty of tread so does captainbone. i have continetal extremes all season i think. they still suck in snow. and even with the snow control on like i said the baseball bat theory im just whoosh. and i was doin 15 mph down a street FULL of ice with snow on top. so forget it my car dont move in snow or ice nomore. captainbone it could be a weight of the 300 to the 400 it cant be blamed solely on tires. i dont see any other difference for the two cars outside of 20 million possible tires you can put on the cars.

~ Stella

Quick Reply: GS really BAD on Snow