GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS really BAD on Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 06:09 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 300 and when I was buying mine, my friend told me living here I should really consider the 300 if I was going to drive all year round. He said the weight difference from the 2 engines makes the 400 a much worse car in the snow.
So Stella and Anthony you are correct in saying the weight is a huge factor!
Jeff

Last edited by Lexis11; 12-08-03 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-08-03, 07:41 AM
altaf
Pole Position

Did anyone mention that the GS sucks in snow?
I've got 16" w/GoodYear GT+4 tires and its damn scary driving it. I kept it garaged during the snow storm here last week... I learned my lesson my first winter of ownership.

On the bright side... if your GS is a lemon, just take it out one snowy day... its bound to get totaled!
Old 12-08-03, 10:36 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

I don't really get this either........I mean, I've lived in the Northeast all my life (CT,PA) and was taught to drive with a heavy rear wheel Mercedes 300SD turbodiesel. As everyone has mentioned here common sense is your best ally against driving in snow. Those people who sit there and gun it--letting their wheels spin forever make me want to walk over to them and smack 'em in the face to wake 'em up. A light touch on the throttle and some decent all weather rubber is all you really need. Oh, and PATIENCE.

I'll never forget it, I was 15 working on my learner's permit and there's like 8 inches of snow on the roads... my Dad takes me up to my high school parking lot to do donuts in the snow (in his Benz) and learn how a RWD handles in those conditions. Invaluable experience for real. Maybe that's why snow doesn't bother me.

I ran the GS with the stock 16's and new rubber all last winter and had NO problems whatsoever. Come on guys, suck it up and learn a little bit, doing donuts in the snow is fun!!.
Old 12-08-03, 12:24 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Stage3
Delete this if you must, but thats my opinion on a recockulous topic.
I have GOT to add that one to my vocabulary list!! RECOCKULOUS!! I'm not even gonna ask what THAT means

ROFLMAO
Old 12-08-03, 05:59 PM
MasterG
Pole Position

I have Michelin Pilot A/S and We just got hit pretty good and I didn't have any problems. If you're running cheap tires on your car that's the problem. Why would someone put cheap tires on a Lexus ? Go buy a Saturn.
Old 12-08-03, 09:03 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

D- glad i could expand your vocabulary just that little bit! you use that when something is so ridiculous, its beyond ridiculous...its recockulous. Use it wisley grasshoppa.
Old 12-09-03, 07:32 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

Tires make a HUGE difference, but it is still up to the driver to put it all together. True, a low slung RWD car is not going to do great in snow, but with decent tires it is not a major problem.

I had the stock GoodYear's, and they were horrible, in even a little bit of snow. They were horrible in dry conditions, too, so no surpise. Couldn't wait to get rid of those tires. Replaced them with Dunlop SP5000's, and I couldn't believe the difference. I could with confidence take the car out in the snow, and it handled respectably in one big storm around here with up to a couple of inches of snow on the ground.

For those with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's, it is not surpising that you did not have any problems. Those are probably the best all-season tires on the market, and they combine superb summer performance with good winter performance.
Old 12-10-03, 07:45 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

i think it is so funny that our cars beep at us when we lose control....is there anyway to turn that beeping off? i mean, its already bad when we lose control of our cars....but then to compound the issue we have to hear this annoying beeping sound in our ears...lol
Old 12-10-03, 08:57 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Alewifebp
Tires make a HUGE difference, but it is still up to the driver to put it all together. True, a low slung RWD car is not going to do great in snow, but with decent tires it is not a major problem.

I had the stock GoodYear's, and they were horrible, in even a little bit of snow. They were horrible in dry conditions, too, so no surpise. Couldn't wait to get rid of those tires. Replaced them with Dunlop SP5000's, and I couldn't believe the difference. I could with confidence take the car out in the snow, and it handled respectably in one big storm around here with up to a couple of inches of snow on the ground.

For those with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's, it is not surpising that you did not have any problems. Those are probably the best all-season tires on the market, and they combine superb summer performance with good winter performance.
These are the same exact tires that got me through the blizzard last winter....Dunlop SP5000's
Old 12-10-03, 01:30 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

I just took my Gs4 in the snow yesterday and tested it out on different areas. Its not as bad as you people say. I have stock 17 inche rims and all season tires. I just made sure I didn't have a heavy foot and I was able to get out of a lot spots.
Old 12-18-03, 08:19 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Yeah unfortunately the 400's do stink in the snow. When we had the first storm I learned the hard way - even though I already knew.

I live on a hill and as I slowly inched my way down it - braking the entire time, I continued to slide but thought I could somehow make the right hand turn up my street - avoiding a perpetual downward spiral.......NO SUCH LUCK. I made the turn , lost total contronl, and crashed into the curb - smashing the rim and many other things underneath, then fishtailing my back end up onto the neighbors lawn.

Needless to say, I sat there stuck for an hour before the neighbors pulled me out with a truck. I had to park it for 3 days without moving it because I couldn't get enough traction to move an inch.

$1500 later - including 4 new tires, I've learned - the car will not move at the slightest sign of snow.

I love my car and would NEVER EVER think of trading it in for anything else.
Old 12-18-03, 08:30 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Yeah unfortunately the 400's do stink in the snow. When we had the first storm I learned the hard way - even though I already knew.

I live on a hill and as I slowly inched my way down it - braking the entire time, I continued to slide but thought I could somehow make the right hand turn up my street - avoiding a perpetual downward spiral.......NO SUCH LUCK. I made the turn , lost total contronl, and crashed into the curb - smashing the rim and many other things underneath, then fishtailing my back end up onto the neighbors lawn.

Needless to say, I sat there stuck for an hour before the neighbors pulled me out with a truck. I had to park it for 3 days without moving it because I couldn't get enough traction to move an inch.

$1500 later - including 4 new tires, I've learned - the car will not move at the slightest sign of snow.

Old 12-18-03, 08:44 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

And the conclusion can be made..

There isn't one.

It seems we all have varying opinions based on our own experiences.

Your best bet for winter driving with a GS seems like three things

1. Winter Tires
2. Patience
3. Caution

With these, everyone should at least be safe

-Anthony
Old 12-18-03, 09:01 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Captain Bone
And the conclusion can be made..

There isn't one.

It seems we all have varying opinions based on our own experiences.

Your best bet for winter driving with a GS seems like three things

1. Winter Tires
2. Patience
3. Caution

With these, everyone should at least be safe

-Anthony
thats best way 2 stay safe... i didn't really have a problem driveng the blue gs3 when i lived n.j. in the snow.. the rear wheel thing kinda sucked but i just drove slow and safely and got where i was trying 2 go ...b safe up there gys no more bad news plaese
Old 12-18-03, 09:58 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ClaudiG

not flaming here but, did you even think to gear down to 2nd or 1st gear using the shiftgate (depending on the steepness of the hill) before you started down the hill? If so, you may have barely has to use your brakes at all. Works well for me anyway.

Quick Reply: GS really BAD on Snow