GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS really BAD on Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-03, 07:27 AM
ClaudiG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I tried everything. I found out after the fact that I needed tires. They weren't bald but close!

Even when I was on a flat road and only was rolling at a light and tried to slow down, it skidded all over.
I have not been in the snow since I got new tires so I'm going to see how they work.

My mechanic told me to put sand bags or something similar in the trunk so I'll try that as well. Either way, I would never trade my car in. It's too much fun!!

Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 12-19-03, 08:42 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

he heh yep. near-bald tires will do that.

Give that gear down thing a try with new rubber and see what you think. you may be surprised. For me its actually fun. Maybe I have some sort of sickness??
Old 12-19-03, 10:10 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My blue GS4 has stock GY 16's, and it is horrendous in the snow. I also am not confident that the Snow Mode does much more. Is consensus that we should merely use Snow Tires? And yes, GS4 experiences much more of a problem than GS3. Pops LS430 is heavy and powerful, but no real issue. Why?
Old 12-19-03, 12:33 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Not to add to the mystery, but...

I swapped snow tires front to back this year. The last two days the car was skidding and slipping everywhere - and we basically didn't have any snow! The roads were just slightly glazed. Last night I actually almost spun the car turning left and it was not a hard turn.

These are 1 year old Blizzak LM-22s.

This leads me to believe that either
a) car has an alignment problem that suddenly appeared (don't think so)
or
b) the tires are very sensitive to their position on the car.
or
c) My GS is possessed

All I know is that I have some of the most expensive snow tires and they are suddenly worthless. I'm swapping them back this weekend.
Old 12-19-03, 07:55 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Originally posted by koreanpers
i think it is so funny that our cars beep at us when we lose control....is there anyway to turn that beeping off? i mean, its already bad when we lose control of our cars....but then to compound the issue we have to hear this annoying beeping sound in our ears...lol
are you hearing "this annoying beeping sound" everyday , once a week , or less often than that. if its less than that just ignore it. if its everyday i' m glad the whole country separates our two cars.
Old 12-19-03, 07:57 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

So snow tires help, but bottom line is a GS4 specifically, sux in snow?
Old 12-20-03, 05:42 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Default Doug_999

I've got a GS in IL too and I have zero problems with my snows. I do have Artic Alpins on all 4 wheels so that might be the difference if I read your post correctly, you only have two. Everything I have read says you should always mount them at all locations and not mix with all season or performance tires. That might be your issue. A glazed road causes problems whether you have snows or not, anytime you have ice the AWD, 4WD, snow tires, etc. have much less to no effect on ice.
Old 12-20-03, 07:02 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Doug_999

Originally posted by AggieGS
I've got a GS in IL too and I have zero problems with my snows. I do have Artic Alpins on all 4 wheels so that might be the difference if I read your post correctly, you only have two. Everything I have read says you should always mount them at all locations and not mix with all season or performance tires. That might be your issue. A glazed road causes problems whether you have snows or not, anytime you have ice the AWD, 4WD, snow tires, etc. have much less to no effect on ice.

doug has snow tires at all four wheels. i've got blizzack ws-50's which really stick to ice like it's dry pavement, they are mind blowing in their traction on ice, but with the global warming we don't seem to be getting the ice and snow that we used to get. i'm up in seattle washington. i can't stand to drive on them on just wet or dry roads, i took them off a couple of weeks ago and will wait untill snow is coming before i put them back on.
Old 12-20-03, 09:37 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Ivan (3Dog) is correct. I have them on all four wheels. I have a sneaking suspicion that they just don't like to be rotated however. His Blizzaks (the WS-50s) are the best snow/ice tire - period. But as he points out, there are terrible in the dry. My Blizzaks (LM-22s) are much better in the dry but not as good in the snow and especially ice. However, since rotating them, the rears feel out of balance at speeds above 60 (had them balanced by Lexus). I'm having them moved back to their original locations this week.

Aggie, were you having problems this last week with traction? Just curious.
Thanks,
Doug
Old 12-22-03, 07:51 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 3dog
are you hearing "this annoying beeping sound" everyday , once a week , or less often than that. if its less than that just ignore it. if its everyday i' m glad the whole country separates our two cars.
it only beeps when the car starts to slide...for instance, i will gun it a little around the corner, and if the car significantly believes all is lost, it beeps at me until i regain control
Old 01-09-04, 01:11 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

put on the lm-22's last week. works a lot better now. at least i can finally stop in the snow! as for dry road handling..its rather scary above 70mph...LOL
Old 01-09-04, 02:10 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by doug_999
Ivan (3Dog) is correct. I have them on all four wheels. I have a sneaking suspicion that they just don't like to be rotated however. His Blizzaks (the WS-50s) are the best snow/ice tire - period. But as he points out, there are terrible in the dry. My Blizzaks (LM-22s) are much better in the dry but not as good in the snow and especially ice. However, since rotating them, the rears feel out of balance at speeds above 60 (had them balanced by Lexus). I'm having them moved back to their original locations this week.

Aggie, were you having problems this last week with traction? Just curious.
Thanks,
Doug
I've got the Bridgestone Bilzzak LM-22's on my car as well, and they really don't work as well on the snow and ice as I'd like to admit (definitely better than an all-season tire, however). The different compound (compared to the WS-50s') probably has a role in this, and also the directional nature of the LM-22's leads to less than ideal traction for a snow tire. During a heavy snow fall, I was sliding slowly downhill, but once I skidded to a stop, I could back up uphill just fine. . .

I'd consider the LM-22's a compromising cross between a hardcore snow tire and an all-season tire. Not quite the best for snow, but not the worst for dry roads either. . .

Anyways, I'll get the Bridgestone WS-50's or maybe Michelin Arctic Alpines for another winter as I'm not risking a wreck in my GS due to inadequate snow traction tires (as I have no need to drive fast in the winter). . .

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 01-09-04 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-09-04, 02:34 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I have never heard a bad thing about the Dunlop WinterSports. I regret not getting them - TireRack recommended the LM-22s however. Unfortunately I have received bad adviced from them more than once.
Old 01-09-04, 05:39 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just switched from my Mich A/S on 17" Chrome to Blizzak on 16" alloy as I do every winter. The Blizzak are incredible I never have a problem and the car drives great in snow.

Blizzak
Old 01-10-04, 07:48 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

what did you spend, and stock sizes? thx

Quick Reply: GS really BAD on Snow