GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS really BAD on Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-03, 01:05 PM
newyorker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS really BAD on Snow

I live long isalnd NY ..

snow snow snow...

car stuck every stop.... wheel spin....

I used chain and it still spin...

I am thinking of changing my GS to an SUV.

I just love my GS if not snow...

how about you guys..
Old 12-06-03, 01:19 PM
roller400
Rookie

I know what you mean. I can bearly stand my GS in the rain. Even going 40, if I floor it, it will lose traction. I too am thinkning about trading it in for an awd sedan.
Old 12-06-03, 01:23 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

im just trying to get an suv and have two cars. i feel like my cars a baseball bat in the snow cuz the back end always spins out first and its like im swinging my car into whatevers in its way. i hate it in snow so i dont move unless i get rides but sometimes its unexpected.

~ Stella
Old 12-06-03, 02:10 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

amazing....even in snow mode its still that bad?
Old 12-06-03, 02:34 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bluelex
amazing....even in snow mode its still that bad?
I don't know what any of these people are talking about. Maybe it's only the 400?

In my 300 on snow mode with Michelin Pilot A/S tires, I've never had a huge problem. Just take everything slow and it's ok. But, like I said, the 400 may be worse.

-Anthony
Old 12-06-03, 02:41 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

I haven't taken my car out yet. All you guys are scaring me.
Old 12-06-03, 05:08 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Don't know much about driving in snow, but I can't see how changing from a RWD car to a RWD truck/SUV is the solution to the problem. Maybe something with AWD is what you need?
Old 12-06-03, 05:55 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I take my FWD when the weather is bad. In addition to the foul weather, plenty of salt and sand here.
Old 12-06-03, 06:05 PM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by roller400
I know what you mean. I can bearly stand my GS in the rain. Even going 40, if I floor it, it will lose traction. I too am thinkning about trading it in for an awd sedan.
awd won't help
just get better tires
Old 12-06-03, 07:33 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Goldark
awd won't help
just get better tires
Bingo. Hence the problem. Better tires make a world of difference.

-Anthony
Old 12-06-03, 08:01 PM
LeXGs43Rx3
Driver

On our GS430 we had Nokian snow tires, and even then the car was like hell to drive in the snow, and even in the rain. We gave the GS back a few weeks ago and replaced it with a 2003 745LI Sport, and threw on some 18inch Dunlop M3 Snow tires, and all I can say is wow. The car is amazing in the snow with these tires on. It came with Pirelli PZero tires, which we did not even try to use in the snow, but in the rain they were great as well, even better than the GS with the snow tires. I don't know, there is something about the GS in bad weather, its not just the RWD. One of my friends has a G35 with the sport package (18inch sport tires) and she didn't understand me explaining to her how a RWD car isn't going to be too great in the snow, lol, and we were driving and although the car was a bit scary to drive, I would say it was just as bad as the GS with snow tires, if not a little better.

BTW, from experience, AWD does help out ALOT. A friend of mine has an A4 3.0, and left on the stock tires and had no issues at all in the snow we have been getting.
Old 12-06-03, 08:33 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LeXGs43Rx3
On our GS430 we had Nokian snow tires, and even then the car was like hell to drive in the snow, and even in the rain. We gave the GS back a few weeks ago and replaced it with a 2003 745LI Sport, and threw on some 18inch Dunlop M3 Snow tires, and all I can say is wow. The car is amazing in the snow with these tires on. It came with Pirelli PZero tires, which we did not even try to use in the snow, but in the rain they were great as well, even better than the GS with the snow tires. I don't know, there is something about the GS in bad weather, its not just the RWD. One of my friends has a G35 with the sport package (18inch sport tires) and she didn't understand me explaining to her how a RWD car isn't going to be too great in the snow, lol, and we were driving and although the car was a bit scary to drive, I would say it was just as bad as the GS with snow tires, if not a little better.

BTW, from experience, AWD does help out ALOT. A friend of mine has an A4 3.0, and left on the stock tires and had no issues at all in the snow we have been getting.
Everyone has their opinion. I think I'm done trying to make my point since it's obviously being hammered.

-Anthony
Old 12-06-03, 08:47 PM
wilassasin
Driver

make sure u have a full tank of gas, the added weight of gallons of gas helps with traction......
Old 12-06-03, 09:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Heavy snow with wide performance tires is a bad combination. It's not just a GS thing. Even my last car, a FWD Acura Legend GS was lousy in snow.

If you want to deal with snow, get snow tires, drive slow, turn on snow mode, and sometimes you may need to turn VSC *OFF* to get anywhere.

Better still, stay home.
Old 12-07-03, 06:12 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question

I'm confused here.

Why would anyone think that a heavy RWD car with an open differential (at least, for those of us still with the factory setup), even with dedicated snows, would be anything other than marginal at best???

You can put snow tires on IF you have LSD and probably do reasonably well; otherwise, park it when the snow flies.

Quick Reply: GS really BAD on Snow