GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why did lexus make the GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 06:04 PM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exception....I'm young...

It could be true that most older people don't use their E-shift. I bought the GS400 5 years ago
because I was intrigued with the E-shift that was not available in the GS300 back then. I'd been using it from time to time just to play with it when I have passengers. They like the way the GS "beep, beep , beep" when changing gears from 5 to 3. When I'm alone I seldom use it. I prefer to use the PWR (PWR/ECT/SNOW botton) mode when I take off into the freeway from the feeder. I feel that I have more power merging ( i dont know how to yield in my GS, lol) from the entry to the fast lane 30 to 45 degrees. I only drive this way when im merging infront a Mercedez S500. One driver followed me and shouted; Your car can really take off with a maximum arrogance." Ha gave me a LOL
Old 12-11-03, 07:21 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default E-Shift

You older guys (in the 50's)don't count as the "older crowd" ...
I know alot of you bought the GS400 becaue of the E-shift - like I did.. I bought my '99 5 years when I was 25..

The Older crowd i was referring to is the 75+plus crowd these old ladies and men cruising around in GS400's -Everytime I see'em I'm thinking I wonder if they are looking at their steering wheel and thinking "Down?!?" What does this Down button do? Does it lower the car or lower the seat..? LOL

HAHAHAHAH
Old 12-11-03, 07:54 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

e-shift, steptronic, etc - gizmos. You play with them for the first month of the car and then realize that they are so slow to react that you might as well play with the radio and let the trans do its own thing.

signed, a younger GS430 owner (alright fine, I'm 36) who could careless that they deleted it.
Old 12-11-03, 11:04 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Doug,
ummmmmmm.. I'm pretty sure E-shift is actually alot better than Step tronic, as only one or two cars other cars have it.. ie Porsche.. Have you tried one?, its not the same - I have heard many GS430 owners "wishing" for E-Shift.. Don't knock it unless you really know..

It might not be faster with E-shift but you have a choice better than none -to be able to control your car fully and enjoy every ounce of power rather than just sitting there holding the automatic ****..is Ummmm better... For example : have you ever drove at 45 and E-shift to second and nail it - its pretty awesome - or coming into a curve drop one lower gear and explod out of it?

Maybe Lexus did satify alot of owners like yourself by taking E-shift out.. Personally for us hardcore owners who bought the car in its first 3 years while E-shift was available.. By deleting the E-shift - Just made the GS400 a more sought after "Limited" car..
Old 12-12-03, 10:58 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99 GS400 and I don't really like the e-shift. I mean, it doesn't bother me at all that it's there... I actually appreciate it because occasionally I will feel giddy and decide to play around with it a bit. But that only lasts a couple of minutes until I get tired of it.

And it's not because I'm an old geezer. I'm 21 years old and have owned several manual transmission cars. I would have actually bought a manual transmission GS4 if they had such a thing. But e-shift is just weak IMO.

It won't let you shift below 2nd, ever. It won't let you shift below 3rd if the motor isn't warmed up. It has a terrible lag to it... like a second after you push the button it finally shifts. I can shift a manual transmission vehicle in about 1/5th the time and with a much more 'positive' feel to it. And last but not least, sometimes I actually want it to maintain a gear at a higher throttle position. ie: I'm merging onto the highway and giving it some gas but I don't want the engine revs to shoot up so I put it in 4th gear on e-shift. Well out of the blue it downshifts on its own to 3rd or even 2nd. E-shift still reads 4th, but it's definitetly not in 4th. So basically your inputs are nothing more than suggestions.

I realize that this is a good idea for some people because they may accidently put it in e-shift mode and then take it to the dealer complaining that it will barely accelerate at all (and in the process they also may ruin their transmission)... but the dealer should have some sort of c-best setting that allows the true enthusiast to use all 5 gears and to have 100% control over which gear the car is in at any time, just like a true manual transmission (OK maybe it shouldn't let you shift to the point that you'll damage the car, but you get my point).

And last but not least they really need to work on the reaction time of the transmission. I realize they have to make the shifts feel 'cushy' so they take a long time to react. But maybe make the car smart enough to realize that if the owner has the car in e-shift mode, has the 'power/snow' (ETC) switch to 'power', and has the revs way up... that maybe they won't mind a more positive/abrubt feeling shift.

And despite somewhat popular believe, the quicker a shift occurs, the better it actually is for your transmission. Want your automatic to last forever? Get a shift kit for your transmission. Unfortunately they make no such thing for any Lexus, but I had one on my 2000 Chevy Silverado that could be adjusted from 'stock' up to 'level 3' on the fly, and the transmission stayed much cooler the higher the level was set. Level 3 was hard enough of a shift to chirp the tires shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes even 2nd to 3rd.
Old 12-12-03, 10:59 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: E-Shift

Originally posted by 1QWKGS4
The Older crowd i was referring to is the 75+plus crowd these old ladies and men cruising around in GS400's -Everytime I see'em I'm thinking I wonder if they are looking at their steering wheel and thinking "Down?!?" What does this Down button do? Does it lower the car or lower the seat..? LOL

HAHAHAHAH
HAHAHHAHAHAHAH LOL!!

Whenever I see some 70 yr old blue haired lady in a GS4 or E55 AMG, i think, why the hell didnt she save 10-15k and get the basic model, I mean really, just HOW fast do you have to get to bingo?!!

I must say though, my brother and I MAKE our grandfather use the Sportshift in his S500!! Okay okay, he used it once or twice and never touched that thing again!! LOL
Old 12-12-03, 11:05 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I agree with Threxx, the fact that it acts more like a suggestion is what originally kept me from using it.

Last night I installed TMs on my car, and i went on the highway and played with the Eshift for a few minutes. Its best for a 5 to 3rd kick down, I just tap the button twice while simultaneously flooring it, works out pretty well. its also good for engine braking and staying between 3-4-5 while jockeying in and out of lanes on the highway

I just hate the way it will upshift/downshift when it wants. This disrupts me, because I have to look down, or try to figure out what gear its in, taking my attention from driving. Like Threxx said if it was fully (or closer to fully) manual , that would be an improvement.

I prefer having it, and having quibbles, than not having it and just sitting there waiting for a downshift!! LOL

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 12-12-03 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-12-03, 11:07 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: E-Shift

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Whenever I see some 70 yr old blue haired lady in a GS4 or E55 AMG, i think, why the hell didnt she save 10-15k and get the basic model, I mean really, just HOW fast do you have to get to bingo?!!

ROFLMAO

Last edited by TwentyTen; 12-12-03 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-12-03, 02:13 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Threxx and Dgot20's : I agree with you guys to an extent but According to my car -It don't ever upshift at random.. the only time I notice the upshift by itself is when I'm at a dead stop and the gear shows M2 which you are really in 1st.. You hit the gas and the car shifts for you from 1st -to 2nd.. thats it..Once in second the car will not interupt you and you can push it all the way to the rev limiter..
And the only time I notice it downshifting is when you are in a 4th or 5th and you hit the gas and it kicks down and shift back to the same gear..
I don't notice any inconsistency in my E-shift - though when I'm in M Mode I'm actively shifting up and down. Of course if you leave it in 4th or 5th - it drives itself -shifting itself figuring the driver has no clue to what is going on and decides to save it self.. LOL

QWK

You guys might want to get your E-shift check if you are experiencing all these problems. Mine works perfect..
Old 12-12-03, 02:18 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Of course if you leave it in 4th or 5th - it drives itself -shifting itself figuring the driver has no clue to what is going on and decides to save it self.. LOL
Thats exactly what i mean, last night I was in 4th doing about 110 or something and I was cutting across a lane so i eased off and coasted, but i was gonna jump back on it! The car must have figured fun time was over, and shifted to fifth!!
Old 12-12-03, 04:37 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Its best for a 5 to 3rd kick down, I just tap the button twice while simultaneously flooring it, works out pretty well.
I'm hesitant to enter this discussion, because I've never driven a GS with the E-shift. If the car had a manual transmission option I would have taken it, but if E-shift was an option I wouldn't--I just kind of don't see the point. Like with the comment above, for a 5 to 3rd kick down I just floor it and it works out better than pretty well.

Call me a lazy old fart (32), but with an automatic I want the car to do the shifting. Stick me in a 2-seater with a stick and I'm in heaven, but even if the GS4 still had E-shift I doubt I'd use it at all.
Old 12-12-03, 04:43 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Doug,
ummmmmmm.. I'm pretty sure E-shift is actually alot better than Step tronic, as only one or two cars other cars have it.. ie Porsche..
ummm, I think you are confused. Which Porsche system are you referring to? I hope not their Tiptronic, because that is a different beast altogether. For the record, the e-shift works just like the steptronic transmissions do - slowly.
Old 12-12-03, 05:24 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

I'm afraid to use the e-shift because I feel I might do something wrong and ruin the transmission. Hopefully, in a future member meeting in the northeast one of you guys can show me the way. I want to see the light too.
Old 12-12-03, 06:12 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Doug,
I am going to have to politley disagree. I do know that Lexus and Porsche's Tiptronic are the same.
I read that lexus bought the rights to the Porsche tiptronic system and re-modified to work the way they wanted it to for the GS..Is essentially the same overall raw product but re-engineer to work for lexus cars.

I don't think an acura TL's Steptronic is the same as the GS400 Tiptronic..
I driven the two and TL's StepTronic is even slower.. than the GS's Tiptronic in shifting..

What ever is said in the end..My GS is perfect for me.. and If I wanted a real Stick shift car- I'll just go buy a BMW M5 and call it a day..

Peace...

QWK
Old 12-14-03, 04:21 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

Lightbulb

mighta made more sense to their production line to produce a ton of 4.3 liter v8 engines instead of having to produce both a 4.0 for the GS and a 4.3 for the LS and SC...

Last edited by machinegt; 12-14-03 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Why did lexus make the GS430?