GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What color calipers would go best with alpine silver GS
Silver
18.87%
Black
52.83%
Blue
3.77%
Red
22.64%
Yellow
1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

What color calipers go best with an Alpine Silver GS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-03, 11:49 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hameed
When you put it that way, Jaime, it makes perfect sense to me to go with black. Your explanation took out any doubts in my mind about the color to go with!!!

Thanks!! A compliment like that coming from guys like you that have spent close to $20K (or more) in mods on your car means a lot to me!!!!

We have similar tastes in type of mods, even the SC (I just don't have the dinero to do that type of mod at this stage in my career!)
Shucks!!! You gonna make me blush.....

You're welcome, you deserve it. I've been watching. I like where you're going with the stereo stuff too.

Can't wait to see pics of the stuff on the car already.

Have you decided which paint kit to use on the calipers? I would highly recommend the G2. Bit and I have it on our cars. He agrees with me I'm sure that the G2 gives great results. Just be sure and block off an entire day to do it right. It has to be put on in coats to net the best results with drying time in between. When I'm not lazy and take the wheels off to clean them off good (like before shows), they still look as glossy as the day I put it on. With your HRE's and the space between the spokes, you will have no problem keeping them looking sharp cause you'll be able to get your whole hand back there to clean them anytime.
Old 12-19-03, 12:04 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Shucks!!! You gonna make me blush.....

You're welcome, you deserve it. I've been watching. I like where you're going with the stereo stuff too.
For the stereo, I have bought the following so far:
1. Two JL Audio 10W3 V2 Dual 2 ohms subs
2. JL Audio 500/1 Mono sub amp
3. ZAPCO Z100C2-SL 2 channel amp for the front component speakers

Planning on buying:
1. DynAudio 240 GT"s for the front
2. Can't decide on what speakers I should get for rear fill
3. A second Zapco amp for the rear fill

Have not considered a HU yet..................

Can't wait to see pics of the stuff on the car already.

Have you decided which paint kit to use on the calipers? I would highly recommend the G2. Bit and I have it on our cars. He agrees with me I'm sure that the G2 gives great results. Just be sure and block off an entire day to do it right. It has to be put on in coats to net the best results with drying time in between. When I'm not lazy and take the wheels off to clean them off good (like before shows), they still look as glossy as the day I put it on. With your HRE's and the space between the spokes, you will have no problem keeping them looking sharp cause you'll be able to get your whole hand back there to clean them anytime.
For the front I will not have to worry about (first post of this thread)
Originally posted by hameed
I am about to buy the STOPTECH 355 mm (14 inches) big brake kit and I am torn between silver and black.
For the stock rears, yes G2 definitely sounds like the way to go.

As soon as I have the HRE's and Tein Flex on, I will take lots of pics!!

Last edited by Hameed; 12-19-03 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-19-03, 12:24 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

For the stereo, I have bought the following so far:
1. Two JL Audio 10W3 V2 Dual 2 ohms subs
2. JL Audio 500/1 Mono sub amp
3. ZAPCO Z100C2-SL 2 channel amp for the front component speakers

Planning on buying:
1. DynAudio 240 GT"s for the front
2. Can't decide on what speakers I should get for rear fill
3. A second Zapco amp for the rear fill

Have not considered a HU yet..................

For the front I will not have to worry about (first post of this thread)

For the stock rears, yes G2 definitely sounds like the way to go.

As soon as I have the HRE's and Tein Flex on, I will take lots of pics!!
Sweet!

For rear fill you shouldn't go crazy. I would suggest some really good Coax's believe it or not. I have the components, but only because it came as a package deal. Mine are attenuated anyway, so they don't sound the same as the fronts. They'll be easier to install too. The Dyn's up front are gonna rock, so trust me...you won't need much for the rearfill.

You KNOW what I would suggest for a HU.

Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 12-19-03, 12:38 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Sweet!

For rear fill you shouldn't go crazy. I would suggest some really good Coax's believe it or not. I have the components, but only because it came as a package deal. Mine are attenuated anyway, so they don't sound the same as the fronts. They'll be easier to install too. The Dyn's up front are gonna rock, so trust me...you won't need much for the rearfill.

You KNOW what I would suggest for a HU.

Can't wait to see the pics.
Suggest a decent coax set of speakers please..........

What HU would you suggest, I am guessing the same one you got? Please remind me what it is....
Old 12-19-03, 12:50 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Black, easier to keep clean.
Old 12-19-03, 01:32 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Suggest a decent coax set of speakers please..........

What HU would you suggest, I am guessing the same one you got? Please remind me what it is....
You have tons of Coax's available that are good. Diamond Audio, of course, makes some. They are the M series. Focal makes some, I think. Just about anything that you could put upfront in separates, you should be able to find it's mate from the same brand in a coax for the rear. MB quart makes some. Kicker makes some. Eclipse makes some. I'll try and look up some and get you some links.

I have the Eclipse 8053 HU. I like it because it has 18V outputs that are Balanced. It makes for better sound quality. It also has neat features like plays MP3's, Recorded cds (forgot what those are called), changer controller, remote, EQ, time alignment, Xover, awesome security features, great warranty, etc. It's pricey, but I wanted something I could later add stuff to w/o having to change out the HU. It's pretty cool.
Old 12-19-03, 01:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

can't wait to see the wheels and brakes on hameed post pics and for the rear calipers, i still stick to my setup, just get the duplicolor engine enamel high temp paint and clear, that's all you need. i cant' justify the extra money over the 3 bucks big can of paint over the g2, i did mine with the can and it's been over a yr and mine still shines like crazy
Old 12-19-03, 06:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,421 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally posted by Richie
Black, easier to keep clean.
Ah Richie - great minds. That's definitely a big reason why I got black front calipers. Plus the overall look too.

Hameed - the performance pads I have throw off more dust than stock pads so if you get silver calipers for example they're gonna be dirty anyway unless you clean them a LOT and it's not that easy to clean them behind the rims, although yours will be more open than mine are.

Also, big congrats also on all the mods you're doing... audio, Tein Flex, HREs, big brakes... wow! I'll be VERY interested in hearing how you like the coilovers. Based on my ride with a local who has an IS on HKS HyperMax II coilovers, I'm leaning toward something like those right now if I ever do coilovers. They're amazing.
Old 12-20-03, 05:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Ah Richie - great minds. That's definitely a big reason why I got black front calipers. Plus the overall look too.

Hameed - the performance pads I have throw off more dust than stock pads so if you get silver calipers for example they're gonna be dirty anyway unless you clean them a LOT and it's not that easy to clean them behind the rims, although yours will be more open than mine are.

Also, big congrats also on all the mods you're doing... audio, Tein Flex, HREs, big brakes... wow! I'll be VERY interested in hearing how you like the coilovers. Based on my ride with a local who has an IS on HKS HyperMax II coilovers, I'm leaning toward something like those right now if I ever do coilovers. They're amazing.
Hey Paul, thanks!

I have received the Tein Flex. Have to figure out when to install it...........

I rode in IcePlatinum's GS400 that had the Tein Flex and none of the other braces (LCB's and STB's, or even the TRD racing sways) that I have on my car and his car handled better than mine. Ofcourse his felt better for two other reasons. His car was lower by at least two inches than my L-tuned setup (lower center of gravity obviously has a significant effect on overall handling balance) and he had low profile performance tires on his as opposed to the crappy, choppy ride I get with my all-season Michelins (this contributes to my high ride height with the very tall sidewalls).

Based on that, can you imagine what my car will feel like once I put on the HRE's with performance tires, the Tein Flex and ofcourse all the braces and sways I already have on???? I am sure the term 'corners on rails' will be very appropriate to describe the handling!! I am so excited!!!!

Right now the only thing I don't like about my current L-tuned setup (I am not sure what the culprit here is)
is the very obvious weight transfer (top side tippy feeling) from side-to-side when making fast and quick side-to-side turns. I am sure the Tein Flex and performance tires will get rid of that completely!

I will venture to say that you may not feel as significant a difference as I would feel from the switch to coilovers simply because you already have low profile performance tires on your car..................
Having said that, I still think it would be very worthwhile to make the switch to a coilover suspension for the other numerous benefits they provide.

Last edited by Hameed; 12-20-03 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-20-03, 05:54 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hameed - the performance pads I have throw off more dust than stock pads
Bit, what pads do you have? I just received the Axxis Ultimates from Carson yesterday, and I HATE excessive brake dust!!

Also Bit, I had no idea you didnt have coilovers Since your car handles the way it does, maybe you do not need them?
Old 12-20-03, 06:52 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Paul, thanks!

I have received the Tein Flex. Have to figure out when to install it...........

I rode in IcePlatinum's GS400 that had the Tein Flex and none of the other braces (LCB's and STB's, or even the TRD racing sways) that I have on my car and his car handled better than mine. Ofcourse his felt better for two other reasons. His car was lower by at least two inches than my L-tuned setup (lower center of gravity obviously has a significant on overall handling balance) and he had low profile performance tires on his as opposed to the crappy, choppy ride I get with my all-season Michelins (this contributes to my high ride height with the very tall sidewalls).

Based on that, can you imagine what my car will feel like once I put on the HRE's with performance tires, the Tein Flex and ofcourse all the braces and sways I already have on???? I am sure the term 'corners on rails' will be very appropriate to describe the handling!! I am so excited!!!!

Right now the only thing I don't like about my current L-tuned setup (I am not sure what the culprit here is)
is the very obvious weight transfer (top side tippy feeling) from side-to-side when making fast and quick side-to-side turns. I am sure the Tein Flex and performance tires will get rid of that completely!

I will venture to say that you may not feel as significant a difference as I would feel from the switch to coilovers simply because you already have low profile performance tires on your car..................
Having said that, I still think it would be very worthwhile to make the switch to a coilover suspension for the other numerous benefits they provide.

might i recommend adding the tom's 6-piece link set to all your braces, they really tighten up and pull together that sloppy & loose rear end that the gs has. i voted for silver as that is what i did on my wifes brakes but the black makes alot of since. ivan
Old 12-20-03, 07:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Bit, what pads do you have? I just received the Axxis Ultimates from Carson yesterday, and I HATE excessive brake dust!!

Also Bit, I had no idea you didnt have coilovers Since your car handles the way it does, maybe you do not need them?
Fraid I've got Axxis Ultimates dude. They came with my StopTech big brake package. So you're gonna have dust. They also squeak occasionally on very low speed stops and when it's raining out they provide a bit less stopping power on mild braking than when it's dry - I think the pads are so hard that they slide over the rotor a bit more when they're wet. Certainly not a problem, just an observation - I can stop QUICKLY in any circumstance.

My vote - try the next step down - Axxis MetalMasters I think they're called. Not quite as aggressive and probably don't have some of the side effects mine have.

As far as coilovers, does anyone "need them"? But want them? Heck yeah...
Old 12-20-03, 07:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Right now the only thing I don't like about my current L-tuned setup (I am not sure what the culprit here is) is the very obvious weight transfer (top side tippy feeling) from side-to-side when making fast and quick side-to-side turns. I am sure the Tein Flex and performance tires will get rid of that completely!
I think that current problem is more because of running out of tire than your suspension. But I'm sure the Tein Flex will make a big difference.
Old 12-20-03, 10:40 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

I think that current problem is more because of running out of tire than your suspension. But I'm sure the Tein Flex will make a big difference.
I was gonna make the same observation too. Hameed, you will notice a big difference when you change out just the wheels and tires. When you compound that with the coilovers, it will make that difference even more evident. The sweet thing about the coilovers is the you can select the ride height to suit your needs...aggressive, not so aggressive and for the most part from what I've experienced the ride is not harsh as some would have you believe.

I too have the Axxis Ultimates and they are super dusty. I too would second Bit's suggestion of the Metal Masters instead, if you are not going to worry about extreme fade resistance. They have all the stopping power of the Ultimates, but since it's different material you will not have as much dust to contend with. I'm sure they are plenty, certainly better than oem, under 90% of conditions.
Old 12-23-03, 06:18 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

You have tons of Coax's available that are good. Diamond Audio, of course, makes some. They are the M series. Focal makes some, I think. Just about anything that you could put upfront in separates, you should be able to find it's mate from the same brand in a coax for the rear. MB quart makes some. Kicker makes some. Eclipse makes some. I'll try and look up some and get you some links.

I have the Eclipse 8053 HU. I like it because it has 18V outputs that are Balanced. It makes for better sound quality. It also has neat features like plays MP3's, Recorded cds (forgot what those are called), changer controller, remote, EQ, time alignment, Xover, awesome security features, great warranty, etc. It's pricey, but I wanted something I could later add stuff to w/o having to change out the HU. It's pretty cool.
Thanks Jaime! There was one Eclipse 8053 on ebay that sold for $499.00. Is that a good price?
Are these any good?
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...0&BasicSearch=

Here's a Diamond Audio coax (is this a good one):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14942

I was gonna make the same observation too. Hameed, you will notice a big difference when you change out just the wheels and tires. When you compound that with the coilovers, it will make that difference even more evident. The sweet thing about the coilovers is the you can select the ride height to suit your needs...aggressive, not so aggressive and for the most part from what I've experienced the ride is not harsh as some would have you believe.

I too have the Axxis Ultimates and they are super dusty. I too would second Bit's suggestion of the Metal Masters instead, if you are not going to worry about extreme fade resistance. They have all the stopping power of the Ultimates, but since it's different material you will not have as much dust to contend with. I'm sure they are plenty, certainly better than oem, under 90% of conditions.
I am so excited about these two fairly major mods to my car, it is causing me sleepless nights!!

I am placing my order today for the StopTech and I will make sure I specify that I want the Axxis Metal Masters. Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by Hameed; 12-23-03 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: What color calipers go best with an Alpine Silver GS?