GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2JZ-GTE swapped folks... Aristo V300E

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 11:17 AM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2JZ-GTE swapped folks... Aristo V300E

I know there were several people on this board that had the GTE engine swapped into their GSs, although I'm not sure if they are still around.

I did read up on some of the old posts and questions regarding to the 2JZ-GTE.

Of lately, I've been doing some hardcore thinking and have decided that
the major hurdle to doing this swap will be the wiring.

The Aristo 147 came in either 6 speed or 4 speed auto format with
non-VVTI engines. the last year of production for the 147 was 1996, i believe....

The Aristo V300E 161 came only in 4 speed with e-shift and VVTI....
this engine would be ideal in terms of swapping into our Gen 2 GSs, although
the pricing for these swaps are still around $6000 - $8000

I'm wondering if I was able to obtain a complete 147 GTE clip (from front seats
and forward), I could directly swap all of the fuse boxes, etc... basically
making (drivetrain wise) a Gen 2 US production GS into an OBD1 JDM 147 Aristo.

I figure there will be some major wiring issues between the ECU and the dash (speedometer, etc)...

I'm asking this because the 147 clips are more than 50% cheaper than the 167s....

opinions? thoughts?

Old 12-18-03, 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well i don't know for sure but from what you said, the extra money you pay for the wiring would probably be a lot more than what you pay extra for the 161 clips
Old 12-18-03, 12:29 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
well i don't know for sure but from what you said, the extra money you pay for the wiring would probably be a lot more than what you pay extra for the 161 clips

the problem with the 161 clips is that even though they are the closest in configuration to our Gen 2 GSs, it will still bear to get all of the accessories / dash working properly...

maybe what i should do is put together a 2jz-gte into 2nd gen swap kit once i'm done

so, anyone stalking the boards that's done this swap?
Old 12-18-03, 01:17 PM
B_Cruz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably a dumb question but why not just get the TT Supra swap that is USDM. It will save you the hassle of the RHD wiring.

sorry for the newb response.

Byrn
Old 12-18-03, 02:03 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I know AJ did the swap succesfully but I haven't seen him on the boards for some time.

I also thing the swap would be "easier" with the 161 clip.
If you could get the wiring diagrams iof both cars you could see what matches and what doesn't.

I'm interested in the results.
Old 12-18-03, 06:31 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hardest part about a 2JZ-GTE swap from 98+ V300 into 98+ GS is the custom driveshaft actually. As long as you have all the parts, then tranny/ecu/wiring won't be a problem. No matter what a custom driveshaft will be needed.

It's more logical to do a 98+ V300 swap. OBD I and II differences I dont know, but if you're gonna do a 93~96 swap you might as well try the USDM Supra swap. If you can get some connections in Japan, a 98+ V300 engine/tranny will run you about 2000 USD only.
Old 12-18-03, 06:40 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

*LOL* for a second I thought you did the swap already without our knowledge, Terry. You should change that word "swapped" for something else...... it's confusing!

Anyway, as Globeclk already pointed out, you will need to build a custom driveshaft and the ECU/wiring harnesses are not exactly plug&play either. There are a lot more electronics involved with the V300 than just simply shoehorning the engine into your GS.

It's not going to cost you $6000, more like $5000, maybe even cheaper if you have some friends overseas. But in any case, good luck. If you ever come down my way, you are more than welcome to take a ride. It's a lot like riding in a supra turbo, but with more space, luxurious interior and a bigger trunk hehehehe
Old 12-19-03, 05:18 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Well a question along the same lines....how about the 98 USDM Supra TT swap. Would that be any easier to do?
Old 12-19-03, 05:41 AM
Aristo V300VE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice to already own a Aristo V300 already I am in the process of upgrading my fuel pump and some 720cc injectors. From most I have heard the electronics is the biggest problem. Also you need to upgrade the tranny, the 5 speed in the GS can't handle the power of the 2JZ-GTE. It is easiest to use the 6 speed manual from a Supra.
Old 12-19-03, 09:02 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a better question: Why doesn't toyota just ship some V300's to the US for sale? Obviously there is demand, and if the supra passed emissions...I don't know why the V300 wouldn't. Or...why don't you just buy a V300 from Japan and ship it over here...what would it cost to ship? $5K? Just got to get it past customs...and add some safety braces and your good to go...You can buy a used one for 30K or less and add the 5K to that and you into the prices you pay here anyways...
Old 12-19-03, 10:07 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by KVA
Here's a better question: Why doesn't toyota just ship some V300's to the US for sale? Obviously there is demand, and if the supra passed emissions...I don't know why the V300 wouldn't. Or...why don't you just buy a V300 from Japan and ship it over here...what would it cost to ship? $5K? Just got to get it past customs...and add some safety braces and your good to go...You can buy a used one for 30K or less and add the 5K to that and you into the prices you pay here anyways...
A simple matter of economy. While the Supra is huge among car enthusiasts, the car in general is a failure in the US in the eyes of the Toyota execs. Their numbers don't lie. Supras sell way too little in the few years it was introduced in the US that it's just pointless to allocate part of their production line to produce such low-demand cars. As a guy I know back in the US used to say, who the heck would pay $40,000+ for a toyota? High performance or not?

I think it's along this same line that the V300 never got introduced in the US. It may appeal to people like you or me who are ardent 2JZ enthusiasts, but if you look at the target demographic of the Lexus GS (aristo), this engine spec would never make it to the list. Also, don't forget the main main main reason why the 2JZ was created in the first place was to compete in the JGTC, putting it into a street-driven car was always secondary, almost as an afterthought. (kinda like how TRD builds its products heheh)

The above reasons were also the same main reason why the Skyline, the Sylvia and many other fantastic JDM cars were never introduced in the US.....

By the way, with the new emissions regulations, I can hardly believe that the Supra would still pass emissions. The engine simply costs too much and too inefficient to make it mass-production worthy. I am just glad I was able to get my hands on one of the last Aristos in this country (well 2 of the last Aristos hehe).
Old 12-19-03, 10:12 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

What would be cheaper, a custom turbo setup on the GE or the full house V300 swap?
Old 12-19-03, 11:46 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Richie
What would be cheaper, a custom turbo setup on the GE or the full house V300 swap?
a custom turbo setup on the GS will cost 10k the most and should produce alot more HP than a swap without mods (I think 400rwhp sounds logical.) In the long-run however, the V300 swap has alot more potential, and going multiples of the stock 276hp will be easier.

It really depends on your goal. I think if you're satisfied with a turbo setup on a GE, then go with that. If you're looking for 450+rwhp, V300 swap is the way to go.

With the possibilities of my friend getting a new S4, I'm leaning more towards a GTE swap nowadays But think about spending 10k+ on a swap and only having 276hp is scary. It requires at least another 2.5k in BPUs and tuning to match the GE-turbo setup.
Old 12-19-03, 12:03 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
a custom turbo setup on the GS will cost 10k the most and should produce alot more HP than a swap without mods (I think 400rwhp sounds logical.) In the long-run however, the V300 swap has alot more potential, and going multiples of the stock 276hp will be easier.

It really depends on your goal. I think if you're satisfied with a turbo setup on a GE, then go with that. If you're looking for 450+rwhp, V300 swap is the way to go.

With the possibilities of my friend getting a new S4, I'm leaning more towards a GTE swap nowadays But think about spending 10k+ on a swap and only having 276hp is scary. It requires at least another 2.5k in BPUs and tuning to match the GE-turbo setup.

10k would be the price if you had someone doing the swap for you.
i would expect it to be much less if you were able to do the swap yourself.

i've done plenty of swaps and electrical work and redos...
if everything goes as planned, hopefully the car will be done within a couple weeks.

as for the driveshaft... i've already talked to a couple of transmission contacts
and they don't have any problems with doing the work...

i'll probably end up breakin the 2jz setup with the twin turbos... if they don't have
any problems clearing the firewall.... and then step up to a single turbo setup.
maybe a T71 or a T6*.... something small so that it spools up quick and provides
decent top end....

it would've been nice if the V300E was brought to the states by toyota...
but, to Americans, the V8 is king... especially with the baby boomers buying
up luxury cars now... they are used to seeing V8s... i don't think anyone would
consider buying a $45k+ luxury car with a straight turbo 6... but, with a silky smooth
V8... now, that makes sense....

to us enthusiasts, the 2jz is what we wish toyota would bring to the states
in the GS lineup.... although, i don't think when toyota planned on bringing
the aristo to the US, they would've thought there would be people modifying
these cars...
things would've been totally different if the V300E was in the US....

would've been nice if toyota tested out the US market with a 2JZ-GTE
version of the GEN 1 GS...
4 door supras... i think 600+ hp gen 1 GSs would be as common as
600+ supra twin turbos....

we (americans) always get screwed when it comes to getting
the high HP cars from europe and japan....

ie. Nissan Skyline GT-R
Toyota Chaser
Civic Type-R
Ford Cosworth
to name a few....
Old 12-19-03, 01:00 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Terry, you should do an extensive writeup when you are finished.

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GTE swapped folks... Aristo V300E