GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Deposit on 2005 GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-03, 05:21 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Deposit on 2005 GS

Hehe, I put a deposit on the new GS. The sales person told me the new look was amazing, and that he got pictures of the vehicle from the Tokyo Autoshow. I told him that was not necessarily the vehicle. Funny how the dealers know less than us.

Anyway, 1k deposit on a vehicle I have not seen yet -

I am convinced the vehicle will not disappoint. Worse case scenario, the dealer will let me out of it.

Last edited by looknow12; 12-20-03 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-20-03, 05:58 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you just put a deposit on a GS or where you able to put a deposit on a actual car meaning you picked the color, engine, options? Just wondering if maybe you would be able to get what options are available before we relly find out. Anyway it sounds like your first in line to get the chance to order yourself or buy which ever one they ordered when it hits the lot. Congrats
Old 12-20-03, 07:09 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats.

I can't wait either. The current body style is too popular and i'm ready for a redesign. Its way overdue.
Old 12-20-03, 07:43 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

u were able 2 put a deposit? did they even tell what the price of the car is? options? i don't get it...
Old 12-22-03, 05:33 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by bluelex
u were able 2 put a deposit? did they even tell what the price of the car is? options? i don't get it...
...yea me too!! What options were you able to order?
Old 12-22-03, 05:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I think an early deposit just serves to put you in the front of the line when the car becomes available. The details such as options doesn't matter right now.
Old 12-22-03, 08:52 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by VikingKing
That is just stuipd!!!
Hey Guys,

Isn't it sad that there are people out there that have absolutely nothing else to do but troll forums and stir it up? If my life ever gets that dull I'll be ready to call it quits. Perhaps he could pick up a new hobby and learn how to spell.

At least we know when we see a message from this guy we can just skip over it and get back to the subject.

Looknow12... congrats on your deposit and being one of the first to own the new GS.

DSeag2
Old 12-22-03, 09:20 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hehe, I put a deposit on the new GS. The sales person told me the new look was amazing, and that he got pictures of the vehicle from the Tokyo Autoshow. I told him that was not necessarily the vehicle. Funny how the dealers know less than us.
Having done that a time or two in my life, it does guarantee that you can be the first on your block to pay full list (which will probably be the case for quite a while - our local dealer had 150 RX330s pre-sold months before it was introduced and you can be sure not a single one got a dime off)!!

I'd take the conservative route if at all possible; at least wait until everyone else on the waiting list has gotten theirs so that you've got some possibility of dealing. But I understand the excitement, too................
Old 12-22-03, 09:40 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well a valid point is made in vikings second post about not being able 2 talk numbers when u put a deposit but i thik when it comes 2 a brand new car and model line poeple don;t usually walk in and try 2 chop the price down? with so many peopel in line 2 get the new model why would the dealer drop the price any? mayb u meant that by waiting a little u can lower the price but by that time u won't b the 1st in u'r town 2 have one.. it i guess it depends on the person.. if they have the oney and don't want 2 wait than go throw a deposit or wait like the king did and get it under msrp after a few months...i'd rather wait cus mods won't out on the car 4 a little while anyway except 4 wheels....
Old 12-22-03, 11:08 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up its simple

if you can get out of the deposit, you can get out of the deal, just back off the deal if its too high in your opinion, it could be the greatest car ever, and they might cost a astronomical amount, so there needs to be some leadway in getting out of the deal. Thats just a reservation deposit in my opinion, you can get it back.
Old 12-22-03, 11:19 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

if you can get out of the deposit, you can get out of the deal
Sorry. Didn't mean to give the impression that I thought looknow12 had put down a non-refundable deposit. Certainly he can get his money back. I guess I'm just past the point in my life of wanting to be the first one to have a particular vehicle. (I was the first person in the entire STATE!!! to get a 4WS Prelude back in 1988............full list on that car meant I took a real hosing later, since the dealers were routinely discounting 15% once the "list" was empty.)

So you get the double hit: depreciation plus "all the market will bear". But that's capitalism and that's OK with me.
Old 12-22-03, 11:54 AM
JDZ25
Driver

Congrats!!! Good luck with your future purchase! I am jealous already!
Old 12-22-03, 12:55 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Deposit on 2005 GS

Originally posted by looknow12

Anyway, 1k deposit on a vehicle I have not seen yet -

I am convinced the vehicle will not disappoint. Worse case scenario, the dealer will let me out of it.
Good luck with it but you may want to wait to see if there are any "late-build" options versus early build.

As far as the sales people go - most know nothing and we are more up to speed than they are, however I do know that dealer principles and GM's have (at least most have at this point) gone to Seattle to see the new GS. Cameras were confiscated prior to viewing, but it is supposed to be really nice and much like we've heard it is NOT the LFS.
Old 12-22-03, 01:03 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

That is great to have a car sold before it has been released. I will not purchase anything in the 1st production year, not even a Lexus. I love my GS and I would think the new model would be even more fun to drive. Maybe I'm too used to Domestic cars. What about the resale value on the current models? Will the dealers be willing to give top dollar for your trades (If you're planning to trade)? I really hope the new model comes with upgraded suspension, tires wheels as a standard. Why are so many Lexus vehicles upgraded (modified) to get it to proper specs? But "specs" has different a meaning from owner to owner. I really don’t see why everyone is making a big deal about the new model. I haven't gotten bored with my 99 model yet. I know the is old dialogue, but I don't see why everything is such a secret!!!
Old 12-22-03, 06:27 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by APLUS
Did you just put a deposit on a GS or where you able to put a deposit on a actual car meaning you picked the color, engine, options? Just wondering if maybe you would be able to get what options are available before we relly find out. Anyway it sounds like your first in line to get the chance to order yourself or buy which ever one they ordered when it hits the lot. Congrats
Just the vehicle. There is no options or details yet.

Quick Reply: Deposit on 2005 GS