GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Things that are missing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-03, 10:07 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
[BWeird. None of those cars have won any kudos for easy to use interiors like the GS. Not many people understand that Lexus does studies with the human brain on interior hues, positions, feel etc.That is why so many magazines say they feel at ease or bored inside. They are designed to be that way. The cars you mentioned are very HIGH horsepower cars, with more concentration on performance than interior.

Lastly, all Lexus interiors mimic each other. This helps with multiple Lexus families. Going from one car/SUV to another is easy b/c things are similar.

Fog light indicator? I dunno but I have never had any problem in any Lexus with this. Pull it back to be off, push it foward to turn on. It turns off with high-beams, you cannot have fogs on alone with side markers unless you re-wire it. [/B]
I think you misunderstood him. The cars he refers to have a concentration on performance not the interior, but they have interior features that the GS does not have. That's his exact point.

I'm assuming that Timster does not like to drive with his fog lights on (neither do I - call us polite I guess). Therefore, we want to know when they are on. With the GS, there is no way to tell other than to give the fog light switch a turn - since you can't see the thing in the dark anyway. My point would be - If fog lights are supposed to be used only in fog/adverse driving conditions, then they normally should be left off. If they normally should be left off, there should be some indicator when they are on.
Old 12-29-03, 10:30 AM
LexFather

think you misunderstood him. The cars he refers to have a concentration on performance not the interior, but they have interior features that the GS does not have. That's his exact point.
oh, I see. Well they have these features and still have never won any awards for their interior execution.
996 Turbo, droooooooooooooooool.............
Old 12-29-03, 11:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Necessary options

I agree with lots of the little cool things that the GS is missing.
However, I STRONGLY agree with the windows up on the remote. I find useful
on the Benz. It's actually lazy-proof.
Old 12-29-03, 12:35 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm glad you joined the Lexus family, but at the same time I'm asking myself why you chose this particular model if you felt so many items were missing. There are cars out there that include these options.

That said, I owned an A6 4.2 and an SC430 prior to my GS3, and even though both were more expensive I don't feel like I've given up a thing in the convenience department. The only thing that would be a "nice to have" for me is a passenger side mirror that tilts downward when backing up. Otherwise, I consider this a lot of car for the money. Besides, one of the primary reasons the sticker prices keep going up on cars is because everyone wants more bells and whistles. BMW has introduced lots of new technology, but it doesn't come without a price. Hell, even the basics at BMW don't come without a price. At least Lexus doesn't charge for metallic paint!

Also, be careful what you wish for... my SC430 had tire pressure sensors, and they weren't compatible with many aftermarket rims so I had to have them removed and have the beeper and light disconnected to accomodate my OZ Operas. Basically, I had to pay for something that I couldn't use anyway. They also weren't compatible with Fix-a-flat (it damages them), so I had to give that up as well.

Re: the navigation screen, there is a "Screen Off" option in the Menu. I believe it turns the Nav screen off but leaves the Climate Control and Audio screens on. You may want to check that out.
Old 12-29-03, 01:09 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by dseag2
I'm glad you joined the Lexus family, but at the same time I'm asking myself why you chose this particular model if you felt so many items were missing. There are cars out there that include these options.
I'll give you my answer (since people have asked me that same question about 100 times on this board). Timster, feel free to put your comments in.

First off, it is not like we took our cars home for a week long test drive (Timster correct me if I am wrong). Didn't even take mine home overnight (mistake). The stuff Timster pointed out you only find out after a week or two with the car. Also note that he is not saying the GS is a piece of junk or that he wishes he had bought something else, he is just pointing out that there are some surprising omissions in the GS technology department. Some of these should have been rectified during the refresh in 2001. These are things that I for one took for granted in a car costing $54K and to be honest was a little shocked that they were missing. I think Lexus is now with the game as the 2004 LS430 refresh certainly added a whole bunch of new features (i.e. no more waiting 6 years to add technology)

Finally, Mike, Lexus models have received a lot of praise for their interior execution (not sure how many awards they have received?) - But just to clarify, are those awards based on the looks of the interior during the daylight or at nighttime?
Old 12-29-03, 01:15 PM
Timster
Rookie

When I was looking at cars it was daylight out. I just missed some of the little things.
I looked at the new 5 series Bimmer, way to much money and IMO ugly.
The GS430 is allot of car for the money. Most of what I mentioned were little things.
I guess I should focus on the bigger picture, like how quiet the car is and how nice it rides.
I haven't gotten to drive it all that much with the holidays and family.
I need to take it for a weekend drive.
Tim
Old 12-29-03, 02:14 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Understood, and thanks for the explanation. Personally, I've found it easier to appreciate my Lexus after owning other brands. Many cars offer the new technical goodies, but reliability and decent service may not be a part of the package. These things tend to be taken for granted, and you really don't appreciate them until they're no longer part of the ownership experience. My A6 also cost $53K, and I would take a GS430 over it any day. Even though it had Park Distance Control, Ambient Lighting, blah, blah, blah, it also had consistently squeaky brakes and an extremely poor service network. Oil changes took a minimum of 3 hours, Audi's service department never offered a loaner car, and it was never once returned washed. Needless to say, I've learned to LOVE my Lexus.

Re: test drives, I'm sure the dealers hate to see me coming, but when I was considering a G35 Coupe I test drove it 3 times (2 different dealers) to make sure it was the right car. That was in the daytime. Then I went back at night to see how the guages looked. That was primarily for visibility purposes because of that weird "amber" color. In the end, I chose the GS300 (which I test drove twice). However, never did I feel I was wasting the dealer's time because I trade cars frequently, so there is a decent chance they'll get my business somewhere along the way. If you're paying over $50k for a car (or whatever you're paying), you have every right to spend time in it and make sure it has the features you want.

Enjoy your GS430!
Old 12-29-03, 07:05 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Adding more illumination and indicators just clutters the console...UGLY...and uneccessary...you'll never win awards that way. You want to look at an indicator then you take your good eye off the road and you STILL have to flick the switch...in my Lex I know without looking where the on/off switch is...click...that easy. JUST SAY NO TO MORE IDIOT INDICATORS...IMO.
Old 12-29-03, 10:36 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to CLUB LEXUS!! Enjoy your new GS430. As for the things you previously had on your other cars you own that is missing on your new LEXUS is unnecessary for me. All i know Lexus Quality, Realibility and custumer service exceeds all other car manucfaturers out there. Have you ever thougth why the Germans cars like BMW and MBenz are electrical nightmares? So go figure .02

Last edited by Lexus GS3; 12-30-03 at 01:16 PM.