GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dealer Humor or Stupidity?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 12:05 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by tod071
I thought I had to "bite my tongue" about a minor issue, but after hearing all ofyour issues, **raising hand in air** I'd like to share too. Took my GS in for service and asked to do the standard tune up. Then asked if they could check my alignment. The reply I got was: "why do you think you need alignment? these cars do not get aligned because of their sophisticated computer system". I told him: "well, if you think driving with my steering wheel tilted to the left, then that's fine." They checked it and wrote down: alignment pulling to the LEFT!. Think about it...well, I ended up taking it back again to align it to the other left. Is it just Hawaii, or do all the dealerships in the US NOT have a wheel alignment machine?
Tod071 -

I know what you mean....that's why I don't take it to Servco anymore. My first time there... was my last time there!!

I try to do the minor maintenance stuff myself.

Pete
Old 12-30-03, 12:20 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, and its not like we can just DRIVE to the next closest dealer. Don't get me wrong, the service techs (the people that actually work on the cars are good, friendly, experienced, and drive Lexus' themselves), but the service advisors just don't know what they're talking about. The reconfirmed a service appointment w/ loaner and had to get me a RAC to compensate one time.
Old 12-30-03, 12:25 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dealer Humor or Stupidity?

Originally posted by whitels
I was at a "BIG" Lexus dealership in So. California last week and this conversation below took place. I thought it was very interesting. I almost sold my car right then and there ;-))

Part 1.
Me: My car seems to crank much longer before it would start. Can you please check it?
SA: How long do you need to crank it?
Me: About 3-5 seconds. It didn't do this before. Usually, it would just start right up.
SA: Actually, we have documented that it is normal for these cars to have to crank as long as 25 seconds before the car would kick in.

Part 2.
Me: Would you please check my headlights. It appears to me that it has condensation inside the lens.
Tech: Condensation is normal unless there's moisture inside.

Guys, is this the level of knowledge that Lexus dealers now offer or is it just me?
What a looser, send him back to the GEO dealership of Napa Valley..
Old 12-30-03, 01:08 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually I had similar replies when I called Longo Lexus last time.

Last week I called to make an appointment for my 65k minor service. I also wanted them to take a look at my condensed headlights. The appointment lady Bonnie (who's always nice to me) transferred me to some technician. I told him about the problem, and he said condensed headlights are only covered under the 4yr/50k warranty and I'm already passed that. I then told him about my extended warranty I purchased from Longo when I bought my car which has full coverage just like the original warranty but all the way to 7yr/100k miles. He then told me that no extended warranty covers everything. I'm sure it does because my sales told me it does, and a few months ago when Verone still worked at Longo he told me it does also.

I'm really not happy about the tone and his attitude. When I bring my car in in about 2 weeks I'll be discussing this with my service advisor. These condensed headlights are really dimming my headlights and making things hard to see at night.

I really have to say, after Verone left Longo Lexus it's not the same anymore..... at least regarding what I've experienced for the last few times I visited Longo.
Old 12-30-03, 01:25 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

GlobeCLK, Albert Young is the name of the tech who diagnosed that my condensation is normal. He is supposed to be their master tech. I don't know where these people are coming from. When your headlight spread has uneven brightness, like you are seeing darkened maps as it illuminate the surface of the road, I can't see how you can say that it is normal.

Normally defective, maybe.

Last edited by whitels; 12-30-03 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-31-03, 09:50 AM
JERS69
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry H. Miller Lexus in Utah!!!They do not even know if something is under warranty!

Here is the story. I purchased a 2000 LX 470 knowing it had a cracked exhaust manifold, covered under the powertrain warranty, right? I take it in there and they call me and tell me it is not covered under warranty. It will cost me $900.00 to replace it. I'm like, look at the warranty manual and see if it is under the powertrain warranty as I am over 50k miles. He calls me back and reads it to me, no exhaust manifold. I call Lexus customer service and they tell me it is covered under the emmissions warranty. I call my dealer back and tell them this. He calls me back 15 minutes later and says that it is not covered under the emmissions warranty and reads it to me. I say, try the California emmissions part of the warranty. He starts reading it and BINGO there it is and it is covered. I walk out of there for $700.00. to fix a height control sensor and not $2000. ( I have spent $4k this year on service at this dealership)

Here is the kicker.....I am waiting for my wife who is in the store one night and I decide to get the warranty manual out of my glove box myself and read it (I would have done this when my car was being fixed but my the car was at the dealership) It says in BLACK AND WHITE THAT THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD IS COVERED UNDER THE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY. THIS IS IN MY 2000 LX470 OWNERS MANUAL SUPPLEMENT ON PAGE 13.

To make a long story short they played "dumb" to try to screw me out of my $900.00. Don't you think a service advisor would have some sort of an idea about what is covered on a warranty?