GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dealer Humor or Stupidity?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-03, 03:35 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer Humor or Stupidity?

I was at a "BIG" Lexus dealership in So. California last week and this conversation below took place. I thought it was very interesting. I almost sold my car right then and there ;-))

Part 1.
Me: My car seems to crank much longer before it would start. Can you please check it?
SA: How long do you need to crank it?
Me: About 3-5 seconds. It didn't do this before. Usually, it would just start right up.
SA: Actually, we have documented that it is normal for these cars to have to crank as long as 25 seconds before the car would kick in.

Part 2.
Me: Would you please check my headlights. It appears to me that it has condensation inside the lens.
Tech: Condensation is normal unless there's moisture inside.

Guys, is this the level of knowledge that Lexus dealers now offer or is it just me?

Last edited by whitels; 12-29-03 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-29-03, 03:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Wow, somebody needs to be dragged through the halls of the dealership behind a GX .

The level of service at my dealer continually increases each time I go, very pleased with them.
Old 12-29-03, 03:40 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues

The GS crank thing (if it was your GS you were referring to) is normal, the moisture/condensation in the headlight was stupidity. Depends who you spoke to though, some may not (honestly) know the definition of those 2 words.
Old 12-29-03, 04:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Issues

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
The GS crank thing (if it was your GS you were referring to) is normal, the moisture/condensation in the headlight was stupidity. Depends who you spoke to though, some may not (honestly) know the definition of those 2 words.
but cranking for 25 seconds?! isn't that a bit way too long?

and boy, which dealership did you go? i will make sure i never visit them. that's stupid
Old 12-29-03, 05:05 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it purely stupidity here. I would've ask for the service tech manager at this point. No sense wasting my breath and time with this idiot.
Old 12-29-03, 05:19 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The knowledge (or lack of knowledge) of Lexus service departments never ceases to amaze me. The fact is that these cars don't break often - but when they do, the dealers have no clue how to fix them. My experience anyway.
Old 12-29-03, 06:27 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

omg, that dealership you went to, those guys are dumbasses. they are just trying to cover for their own butts.
Old 12-29-03, 06:44 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ?

What dealership was it? Share with us to avoid any future issues.

However, keep i mind, that in today's world, especially with the job pool available in So California to pull from, finding competent people is getting increasingly difficult. Qualifications tend to favor the mirror under the nose approach than actual abilities. Sad, but true.

BTW, MY GS cranks over within 1 second with 1.5 tops. Longer than that and I would replace the fuel filter and o-rings.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-29-03 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-29-03, 07:23 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow thats good to hear that every were there are idiots working at the lexus dealership. I thought it was just mine . Every time I go in there to get my oil changed I have other questions that never get fixed or answered. For instince the last 2 questions were when I press on the brakes they make a clicking noise. Dealer response thats normal. I told him to get in and listen. When you aplly the brakes it would make a click. When you have the brakes pressed down and are turning it clicks. His response normal. I did the search function and found out it was the springs that hold the pads in. Problem fixed Club Lexus 1 Dealer 0. Problem two. When I accelerate the car makes a gurguling noise from the dash . Asked the dealer of coarse I had a smart @ss response that it was normal. Searched it found out I needed some coolent problem fixed. Club Lexus 2. Dealer 0. The Lexus branch must train every one in BS classes to cover there buts if any problems come up. Im glad for the wealth of knowledge I learned from CL. Im glad for the search button that way I get an answer right away instead of asking the same question over again. Thanx every body for keeping up a great forum to visit every day.
Old 12-29-03, 08:48 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Default Re: Dealer Humor or Stupidity?

Originally posted by whitels
Guys, is this the level of knowledge that Lexus dealers now offer or is it just me? [/B]
Your lucky, last time I went to the dealership to get my check up I had to wait for 15 minutes then the guy says "Shouldn't you be nextdoor?" (nextdoor is a chevy dealership) Oh well what do I know i'm just a kid right?

I got water under my left headlight and I asked if there was something I could do and they said "wipe it out" then went back to his desk.
Old 12-30-03, 05:33 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the level of service from Lexus of Manhattan...
Old 12-30-03, 06:09 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto for the level of service at Lexus of Pembroke PInes.

When I had my SC430, they tried to charge me $350 to change my runflats to non-runflats (didn't include the cost of the tires). When I questioned it, the service manager said the service writer didn't know what he was talking about and they would charge me whatever JM Lexus was charging. How lame is that??? Also, as someone else mentioned, if there were any glitches outside of normal maintenance I just got the stock answer, "that is normal". I know they hosted the So. Florida meet, which is great, so someone there is obviously a Lexus enthusiast. I just haven't met him yet.

JM Lexus, on the other hand, had a technician ride with me when the sunroof in my SC300 was creaking. He took me right into the shop and fixed it. Now that I have my GS, the assistant service manager has gone over wheel, exhaust, and intake options. They have consistently blown me away with their service.

Just goes to show that it varies drastically by dealership. I now drive 30 miles to JM Lexus rather than 2 miles to Lexus of Pembroke Pines to service AND buy my cars. It's worth it.
Old 12-30-03, 07:43 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the cranking being different or getting a little longer i've heard of but not 25seconds that seems way 2 long...my gs3 cranks up right away and when i got the gs4 i thought something was wrong cus it needs an extra 2 seconds but i found out it happens...
Old 12-30-03, 08:57 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

I've heard from a friend who's a lexus tech, there is an updated throttle body that addresses the long delay in cranking the car start. However, it only applies to 2003 or later model GS..., if you are having the problem, try checking with the dealer see if they'll warranty a new throttle body for you.
Old 12-30-03, 11:04 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I had to "bite my tongue" about a minor issue, but after hearing all ofyour issues, **raising hand in air** I'd like to share too. Took my GS in for service and asked to do the standard tune up. Then asked if they could check my alignment. The reply I got was: "why do you think you need alignment? these cars do not get aligned because of their sophisticated computer system". I told him: "well, if you think driving with my steering wheel tilted to the left, then that's fine." They checked it and wrote down: alignment pulling to the LEFT!. Think about it...well, I ended up taking it back again to align it to the other left. Is it just Hawaii, or do all the dealerships in the US NOT have a wheel alignment machine?

Quick Reply: Dealer Humor or Stupidity?