GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To sell or not to sell????

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-04 | 04:13 PM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

Jeff I don't know where to start with this: First I am the exact same type of person you are with regard to building cars and in the process decide that you might want something different. I personally think about selling my GS at least once a month or so. The main reason is becuase I know that I am going to hit a road block with power unless I want to dump an additional $30k into it. Some people will say the gs was not ment to be an all out sports car, but you know what I say to those people "To Each is Own"....I look at it as a challenge if I can take what I feel is the most reliable luxury mid-size sport sedan and get it to a point where most sports cars can't touch you, then you feel good about that accomplishment!!

I like many others like to be different when it comes to cars and owning a Super Charged GS400 with the mods that you have into your car is something that Supra owners, Corvette Owners and lots of other car enthusiasts would love to accomplish.

So the question is really this -What makes you, me and other like us want to sell our cars after so much work has been done and so much $$$$ has been sent.

ANSWER: Simply becuase we think the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence. The truth of the matter is that it in most cases it is not. Most of the time we are just bored of the same project and want to learn and experience something new.....I have finally come to realize that with the bug of modding cars no matter which car. YOU WILL LOSE MONEY!!! and if you are prepared to do so then you will feel better about yourself and the car you are selling!!!

Look at these factors: The GS400 is getting outdated and a new one is on it's way.....AMG is beating the **** out of the competition.......The new M5 is just around the corner....and to think that at somepoint you may run into one of the above mentioned cars at a Red Light!! You know what the results are!! <---------This is most likely the main reason you want to sell or have thought about selling your GS. Also don't forget you have in the back of your mind that you once had a car that would light the **** out of almost any car on the road in a straight line!!! So now you say to yourself if I loose I have no revenge....I will end here becuase I could talk about this all day.

SORRY SO LONG!!! Just trying to support a fellow Club Lex friend. PM me or call me if you need some advice or pep talk.

John

Last edited by jcramair1; 01-01-04 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-01-04 | 04:41 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

John...your advice doesnt count...you have the best case scenario when it comes to cars! Im just joking with you on that, and your right about all of the things that you said. I thought about this for the last day or so pretty in depth. This left me remembering when I had my Supra, all I could think about is how much I wanted a GS to Pimp out. Now that I had it for a little over a year, which by the way is the longest I have owned a car for about 8 or 9 cars now, Im feeling the urge to play with another toy. That being said, I absolutely love my GS, and it is set up quite nice if I have to say so myself. I think Im going to do something that I have never done with my other cars...Im actually going to enjoy the GS for awhile now that I have it where I want it(well, almost...its never done is it!). It will be paid off soon, so my thoughts are to keep it, and then add a Supra to the stable once it is...now that will keep me satisfied, and my wife for that matter.

Now that I had my moment of weakness and I feel like I have betrayed my baby...has anyone ever heard of someone doing the 6 speed conversion on a GS? ANd I thought I was done with the car!

Thanks for lsitening to me think out loud on the forum....and also for the words of appreciation for what my car has become...that goes a long way.

Hameed....I know you were just scared that I was selling your LSD with the car!

Last edited by TTurboPimp; 01-01-04 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-01-04 | 06:43 PM
Letsride

WOW Jeff....you had me scared there for a bit. The six speed sounds like a step in the right direction.....
Old 01-01-04 | 06:46 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Good writeup John!!
Old 01-01-04 | 07:38 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Now that I had my moment of weakness and I feel like I have betrayed my baby...has anyone ever heard of someone doing the 6 speed conversion on a GS? ANd I thought I was done with the car!
I know that RMM mated a 6-speed Getrag to the 4.3L V8 when they constructed the IS430, but I'm not sure how much modding would need to be done to make it work with the GS....

maybe you should find out?
Old 01-01-04 | 08:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default new car?

I am also a person who has historically gotten bored with then changed cars. Three years is the longest I kept a car. I will approach 3 yrs with my sc in a couple months. This time I'll keep the car. I have spent too much to let it go. Plus, I don't see any cars out there that look better. Certainly not the new sc. I'm interested in the G35 but I don't think it looks better. I think I'll keep my car and get the G35.

My suggestion would be to keep your gs and get something else to play with. I had a company car, then the company scaled back and took it back. You never know.
Old 01-01-04 | 08:27 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: new car?

Originally posted by reggiek
I had a company car, then the company scaled back and took it back. You never know.
Very good point man, about 6months ago before my company announced its acquisition of another company, we thought we were in danger of losing the company provided vehicle benefit and TRUST ME, we were all like
Old 01-01-04 | 09:32 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

u r and will always b the pimp...gs or not....i would keep her so much money invested and yime and even if u don't drive here a lot u still go when ever u want and take her out 4 a road kill or 2 enjoy her 4 a little longer than mayb do something else...good luck
Old 01-02-04 | 08:52 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Yeah man, Im gonna keep her for awhile...I just need to think out of the box for mods to do to her. I have also been pondering the idea for awhile now of getting an older SC and doing the Supra TT conversion on it. I have seen some bad *** SC's on this forum, and if your not worried about mileage and such, you can get them pretty cheap. We'll see....for now, I will finish up my GS. Matter of fact, I need to go to the stereo shop today and see where they are with my new set up!
Old 01-02-04 | 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by bluepiz
I know that RMM mated a 6-speed Getrag to the 4.3L V8 when they constructed the IS430, but I'm not sure how much modding would need to be done to make it work with the GS....

maybe you should find out?
\

well, how about a whole new computer? you need that in order to make the tranny work with the engine
Old 01-02-04 | 12:31 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Default Re: To sell or not to sell????

The funny thing is, even while Im thinking about selling it, Im still spending money on it as we speak...ie, stereo set up.

I do this all the time, build a car up and get bored with it once the process is just about done.....I have issues!!

What to do....keep it or sell it?
I feel your pain. Is this a genetic thing or what?

I only had 3,000 miles on my new OZ Operas and Michelin Pilot Sports when I traded my SC430 in. Prior to that, I installed AutoCouture front and rear lip spoilers and an X-Pel clear bra. I kept the car for 1 year. I've had my GS3 for 3 months now, I've had L-tuned springs installed and I'm in the process of buying L-tuned skirts and BBS RGR's. At the same time, I'm waiting for the unveiling of the new GS so I can figure out the right time to trade.

Please break the chain and keep your car. It is a beauty!
Old 01-03-04 | 07:33 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Good to hear your are going to keep the GS a little while longer.
Old 01-03-04 | 07:49 AM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

Jeff I am glad to see that you are keeping her for a longer period of time.
Old 01-06-04 | 04:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hameed....I know you were just scared that I was selling your LSD with the car!
Hey Jeff, check your paypal account!