GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Roof spolers and rear spoilers???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-04, 09:51 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof spolers and rear spoilers???

After researching on this site, I found that the L-sportline roof spoiler as well as the Wings west lip spoiler is only attached with adhesive tape??!! when I first found this out, I was disappointed greatly. My question is how durable are these two products when on the vehicle, I tend to wash my GS about 3 times a week, will the water affect the ashesive that is on these spoilers??? any help, thanks
Old 01-04-04, 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,346 Likes on 1,537 Posts
Default Re: Roof spolers and rear spoilers???

Originally posted by Lettuce
I tend to wash my GS about 3 times a week...
Wow. Why so often? By hand or car wash?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-04-04 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-04-04, 10:39 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

By hand of course! never will I let it go through one of those "Ding washes."

Last edited by Lettuce; 01-04-04 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-04-04, 11:31 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Roof spolers and rear spoilers???

Originally posted by Lettuce
After researching on this site, I found that the L-sportline roof spoiler as well as the Wings west lip spoiler is only attached with adhesive tape??!! when I first found this out, I was disappointed greatly. My question is how durable are these two products when on the vehicle, I tend to wash my GS about 3 times a week, will the water affect the ashesive that is on these spoilers??? any help, thanks
I have the Junction Produce Roof Spoiler. It is also attached useing adhesive tape. I have yet to have a problem with it in any fashion. The adhesive is extremely durable and you should experience no problems with wetness on it. I would say at least give it one day to adhere without water abuse though.

Good luck on your decision.

-Anthony
Old 01-04-04, 12:09 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

I have the Lsportline roof spoiler and at first I said the same thing to my buddie that owns an autobody shop but he insisted it would stay and as of now it has given me no problems. Goodluck.
Old 01-04-04, 12:15 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It will definitely stay on the car...that 3m double sided tape is extremely strong. Even if it did start coming loose, which would be rare, it would probably be a situation that you would notice it before it came to the point of it actually flying off the car...ecspecially given the fact that you wash the car 3 times a week. you would notice it.
Old 01-04-04, 12:29 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Would it be better to not directly spray the water from the hose on the spoilers, more of adjacent to them?
Old 01-04-04, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

if you stick them on right, it would actually take a lot of work to get them off. these stuff are super heavy duty
Old 01-04-04, 01:00 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you stick them on right, it would actually take a lot of work to get them off. these stuff are super heavy duty
Exactly...it doesnt matter if you sit there and spray the hose on it directly all day long. Just wash you car just as you normally would and all will be fine.
Old 01-04-04, 05:42 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Trust me man, that stuff is SUPER strong! When I was a sales rep, I used to use a similar product to apply POS and advertising corx signs to the outside of retail stores, I was cruising in my old sales assignment this weekend and a few signs that I put up 2 yrs ago are STILL THERE!! Thats through snow, rain, heat, etc etc.

Dont worry man, you will be fine!
Old 01-04-04, 06:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Exactly...it doesnt matter if you sit there and spray the hose on it directly all day long. Just wash you car just as you normally would and all will be fine.
yup, and in fact if you don't use the right method to take them off you will take off the paint as well when you pull on them
Old 01-04-04, 08:48 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

I have the UGO roof spoiler also attached by 3M double sided tape and have never had an issue. Just make sure that you stick it on right and you will not have any problems.
Old 01-04-04, 09:09 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i've had thw ings west spoiler on 4 just under 2 years already and not near 2 coming off yet, also the roof spoiler's been on since june and i wash my car 3 times a week also and touch it up everyday no problems at all....good luck...also the Rmm spoiler in the same double stick tape..
Old 01-12-04, 06:10 PM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

my UGO CF roof spoiler is held on by 3M tape it still wont come off! hahahah I have tried to take it off so that I can finally put on the Junction Produce Roof Spoiler, but I havent had good luck with it... so for now, it stays on =X
Old 01-12-04, 07:53 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Roof spolers and rear spoilers???

Originally posted by Captain Bone
I have the Junction Produce Roof Spoiler. It is also attached useing adhesive tape. I have yet to have a problem with it in any fashion. The adhesive is extremely durable and you should experience no problems with wetness on it. I would say at least give it one day to adhere without water abuse though.

Good luck on your decision.

-Anthony

Lettuce, I don't mean to hijack your thread...

Captain Bone, do you have a pic of the JP roof spoiler? The only ones that I see are the UGO and the L-sport. All the pics that I see of JP roof spoilers are not clear.

TIA.

Quick Reply: Roof spolers and rear spoilers???