GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What do you think of the new 2005 GS?
I love it-Lexus did it again.
38.13%
It's not for me I was expecting more.
61.87%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Now that you have seen the new GS, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04 | 09:38 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

first sight really looked like a Maxima to me. But after a few minutes and looked through more pictures it doesn't look like a Maxima anymore.

Front end: nice. aerodynamic, innovative headlights but can do without the chrome trim, grill stays true to GS series. Somehow the light/grill combo reminds me of the current Avalon but that's just me.

Side: profile reminds me of G35 sedan but stretched. Gen2 GS is more proportional. The A4/S4 running board is fugly. Get rid of it.

Rear: Taillights are a step back from 2nd Gen. Even 1st gen is more innovative. Kinda reminds me of Infiniti I35. LEDs are nice but still. Hate the fact that the rear bumper is all sinked in like the Altima/Maxima/G35 coupe. Looks like Nissan now.

Interior: Really like the design. Not enough silver trim (and not enough wood trim for some people). They should offer different trims like either wood trim package or aluminum trim package (I don't like wood). BMWs have silver trims in place of wood for some packages and those are superb.

Mechanical: V6......... Don't know what a V6 is doing on an Aristo. 6-speed auto is an improvement. They need a manual to compete with 5 series. 245hp not bad, torque no improvement. AWD yay.

Overall: B.

I expect even more innovative exterior styling but that's ok. Interior I'm satisfied with. Power, don't like V6 but 245hp is better. 6speed auto nice. need to refine the exterior before final production.

at first I didn't like the 98+ GS either but then it grew on me and eventually it looks better than the 5 series and everything else. I think this 3rd gen GS is not bad already. Eventually it'll be great I hope. But V6? I was expecting 3JZ-GE 3.5 liter 280HP inline 6.

I still like my GS better externally.

Last edited by GlobeCLK; 01-06-04 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-06-04 | 10:19 PM
acnup00tl
Advanced

I am convinced my 2nd gen Gs will be a classic.. I do not care for the styling of the new Gs. Too me it looks like a total ripoff of a 745,New Maxi and 04 grand prix. You would think Lexus would OF come up with something better after 6 years.

Maybe when I see it in person it will be different. The interior looks very nice but nothing real eye catching. I will stick with my 2nd gen ,in my mind its the most beautiful car ever made.
Old 01-06-04 | 10:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Just when u thought that Lexus would do something great and finally surpass BMW and MB, they take a step back with this car IMO. Its an average car in terms of looks and performance, at a time when Lexus needed a GREAT car.

I was very excited to see the new GS because i loved how the updated 2004 LS looked and also bec of all the hype of this being a revolutionary design, but in the end i was very disappointed. The 1st and 2nd gen GS made a statement with their unique styling, but this car is just another car on the road.

Old 01-06-04 | 11:25 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Front looks like an IS300/Ford ZX2, side like the new Solara and the back.. Maxima w/ Paseo taillights!?!

Overall:

Last edited by msilverIS; 01-06-04 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-07-04 | 06:39 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I'm gonna say this now, but I wish I had posted it before the pictures came out.

You guys were not going to like this car no matter what. You think your current GS is the most beautiful car on the road and there really could be nothing better. I feel sorry for the Lexus designers because no matter what they did, a bunch of you were going to hate it.

Personally, I LOVE the look of the new GS. It is so much better looking than the new 5-series, it is not even funny. This coming from a guy who swears by BMWs! My only complaint is that it won't be out for a while and DAMN would I love to get rid of my pos GS and get into this new one.

Of course, no way will it be as low as it shows - unless of course it has a sports package (I'm a praying).
Old 01-07-04 | 07:21 AM
mrweaver7
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by doug_999
I'm gonna say this now, but I wish I had posted it before the pictures came out.

You guys were not going to like this car no matter what. You think your current GS is the most beautiful car on the road and there really could be nothing better. I feel sorry for the Lexus designers because no matter what they did, a bunch of you were going to hate it.

Personally, I LOVE the look of the new GS. It is so much better looking than the new 5-series, it is not even funny. This coming from a guy who swears by BMWs! My only complaint is that it won't be out for a while and DAMN would I love to get rid of my pos GS and get into this new one.

Of course, no way will it be as low as it shows - unless of course it has a sports package (I'm a praying).
I agree Doug. I think some people will complain regardless of what design comes out. It could have 400hp and I believe some people still would complain that it doesn't have 450. I think the stats are well. I work at Lexus of Orlando and the car is fast. It's not a Corvette but it sure isn't a Maxima either. I like it.
Old 01-07-04 | 04:29 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Think the poll speaks for itself. I myself sits on the disappointed side of the fence. First time in my life that I am actually excited and anticipated for a new model release. I had plan to sell my current one and get the new one due to my lack of NAV system in the car.

I am not a car knowledge person at all, but from my point of view, Lexus brought out a model that does not look "better". I am not commenting on what the car looks similar to, just that it doesn't do anything for me. In addition, there is not much change in power, it 's still a GS430. So, I have no incentive to get the new one, ESPECIALLy when I can't even get over the sight of thing.
Old 01-07-04 | 07:21 PM
lexmaster
Driver School Candidate

Weaver, since you work at a Lexus, do you know whether this car is really the final GS? There is a lot of speculation that not all has been revealed to the public especially since Clements only mentioned a 4.3 V8 but no horsepower numbers? I would be curious to see if you could provide us with any info. The unveiling just didn't seem to have that spark that I expected. There has to be more to than engine. I'm thinking they will announce a 4.3 V8 coupled with the Synergy Drive?
Old 01-07-04 | 07:29 PM
lexmaster
Driver School Candidate

I am with Lex430 on this one. I was very very very very excited about this unveiling. I probably expected way too much. But I was very upset at the design yesterday. I agree with someone who posted earlier that it looks somewhat like a Grand prix. Before I read that, I did noticed that myself but I said it couldn't be. It has some resemblence to it, but just like I don't see the 7 series resemblence at all, I'm sure most ppl will not see the grand prix either.
Old 01-07-04 | 10:31 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

I like the new style!

To me they have retained some of the original styling while giving it some flair. In a sense It reminds me of the first generation GS with the Italian styling. I'd buy it if I could afford it!

DT

Last edited by Downtown; 01-07-04 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-07-04 | 11:37 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I like it, but I don't love it. I haven't voted because the options are too polarized. I don't love it, but I don't think it's bad. Unless there's more to it, as some suspect, I don't think the successor to my GS430 will be a new GS unfortunately. I like the next-gen M45 from pics, but obviously there's more to be seen there, too.
Old 01-08-04 | 12:00 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Who really wants to get rid of their 2nd. gen. for the new one? My GS300 will be paid off in five months and I was waiting to see what the new one looks like. It looks nice and I love the interior but it let me down on the exterior styling. I believe the 2nd. gen. is more aggressive looking. I think I will get the SC430 instead. Don't get me wrong the new GS is sweet looking, but doesn't capture the sport for me in "sport sedan" more like the ultimate luxury family car for the guy who still loves to look cool and go fast when he wants to.
What about you guys? Really who wants to get rid of their 2nd. gen.? To me the "wicked" Lex just looks so good going down the street. My 99 turns people heads almost every where I go.
Old 01-08-04 | 04:38 AM
RI-GS4
Driver

I kinda like it, have to see it in person to fall in love with it. I think that when it hits the market it will have more power. I'll tell you one thing...it put my 745Li purchase on hold...looks like i'll be buying the new GS instead.

I still think that Lexus will make minor changes to the car over all when it comes out...guess we'll have to wait and see...

Last edited by RI-GS4; 01-08-04 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-08-04 | 04:19 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I think I'll also reserve judgment until I see it in person. My first impressions are that Lexus is taking an evolutionary approach with the design. i like the idea of all wheel drive as well. I've had 2 GS's and maybe this will be the third as I'm already tiring of my LS400 that I bought in Sept. I had my GS400 for a year and loved it more each day so go figure...

Murph
Old 01-08-04 | 07:29 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Murph
I think I'll also reserve judgment until I see it in person. Murph
OMG! The voice of reason hits Club Lexus!

Seriously guys/gals, listen to Murph, withold judgement until you see it.

Quick Reply: Now that you have seen the new GS, what do you think?