GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What do you think of the new 2005 GS?
I love it-Lexus did it again.
38.13%
It's not for me I was expecting more.
61.87%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Now that you have seen the new GS, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04 | 03:01 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

And bimmer won't sell 58K 530's because......
Old 01-13-04 | 03:10 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Yuck

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
50 grand for this car? A 30 grand maxima with the same performance and 5 spd???

What does the lexus have over it? interior? active suspension? so that's worth 20K more?

hmmmm
Good point! The Maxima has lots of things over the GS. Such as
Torque Steer -Maxima has tons of this and the GS has none
FWD - Maxima's got the GS on this one again!
Skyview Sunroofs that don't open (love the idea, but why not make them open?)
and much much more

Personally, I love the look of the new Maxima and admit to never having driven one. However, I have yet to read a good review of the car.

I did drive my friends 2002 the other day - while the interior looks nice, it is cheap feeling and as he put it, "Don't floor it without both hands on the steering wheel or you WILL crash".

Basically, your argument makes more sense if you compare the new GS it with the new TL - even then, once you have had a V8, it sure is hard to go back.
Old 01-13-04 | 03:39 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Not just performance

The thing is...it's not the performance (torque steer, etc.) that was the main issue.
The thing is..this awesome V-8 car with such luxury amentiies should at least LOOK the part right?
instead of borrowing styling cues from the horrible front wheel drive imposter....
Old 01-13-04 | 04:38 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

you think they actually copied the maxima?!?

you think lexus cant design their own cars so after the new maxima came out, the redid the back end to match the maxima? if anyone copied anyone, it was maxima after the second gen gs..... by the way, the saturn ion has the same bumper/rear deck setup, does that mean the new gs copied them too?????
Old 01-13-04 | 04:42 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default it's derivative

The car is NICE...but it's not revolutionary like people wanted. But then, again it's lexus..and they aren't going to take big risks right? (although I thought the french riviera boat SC430 seemed pretty risky).

It's not a matter of who copied who.

It's a matter of this car does not DISTINGUISH itself from the pack.

Yes..yes...the luxury and refinement in the car is a staple.but by this time..all lexus cars have that as a staple. So what stands it APART in style from a maxima or saturn? or bimmer???

That's what the sentiment is in this thread. But I guess it's a moot point if you're expecting edginess from a conservative luxury car company.

Last edited by Anthracite SC; 01-13-04 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-13-04 | 04:57 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

if you want edges, cadillac has lots, and they are very sharp haha
Old 01-13-04 | 09:23 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

It’s a tough call Anthracite SC.

Option#1 - do something radical. Something really different. People hate change but it is good right? I present you the new BMW 5-Series.

Option#2 - do something evolutionary. Don't upset anybody. People will know it is a Lexus and they will buy it because of what it stands for. I present to you the new GS.

Personally, if they fixed the headlights and taillights on the new 5, I would like it. In fact, in a dark color, it looks good to me. But man the reaction I hear on it is not good. I guess I should mention however that I am one of the 4 people who LOVE the new 7 series design.

But I also LOVE the new GS - but I want to see it in person. That will come on Feb 10th.

I'm just wondering, if Lexus had done something revolutionary, would the people on this board like it? I mean, what if it looked like the new 5?
Old 01-13-04 | 09:24 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

doug, i like the new 7, headlights, i would cut off the saggyness on them... but i def love that car, especially the ***.

the new gs is hot, *** is hot, front is decent
Old 01-14-04 | 12:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by EGainer
doug, i like the new 7, headlights, i would cut off the saggyness on them... but i def love that car, especially the ***.

the new gs is hot, *** is hot, front is decent
You must be a J-Lo fan.
Old 01-14-04 | 05:43 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I'd heard rumors that there were two people who LOVED the new seven design. Glad they found each other.
Old 01-14-04 | 05:58 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Originally posted by EGainer
you think they actually copied the maxima?!?

you think lexus cant design their own cars so after the new maxima came out, the redid the back end to match the maxima? if anyone copied anyone, it was maxima after the second gen gs..... by the way, the saturn ion has the same bumper/rear deck setup, does that mean the new gs copied them too?????
You mean just like it was a "coincidence" that the current GS took some ques from the E-class at the time? lol.. youre too much.
Old 01-14-04 | 06:27 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Okay after going to the auto show, which is 10 mintues from my house, I have a new perspective on the new GS.
What I like
1. The new stance. It sits much lower from the factory. At the auto show there is the current GS and the new design. The new one sits 2 inches lower, or thats what it looks like.
2. The side profile is really nice. No need for side skirts right away.
3. The arm rest is neat, as well as the radio set up.
4. The new sport seats.
This is all the stuff I liked that I could see.
5. Headlights are nice.

What I don't like.
1. The rear end. I won't say it looks like a Maxima, because every one else said it, but it does. Ugly rear end.
2. The front grille. Its 4 inches longer on each side than the 2nd. gen. GS grille.
3. The interior wood. Exactly the same cherry wood steering wheel in an ES but the dash trim is different. The wood DOES NOT match.
4. Not enough wood grain interior. Not saying it needs to be wood every where but there isn't any on the dash at all. Every spectator kept mumbling "Oh thats a Lexus, doesn't look expensive like the other ones." New GS lloks like a ES with a really nice radio, and ash stray. No offense but it doesn't look like a $55,000.00 car.
5. Rear seats. They wouldn't let you sit in it but the representitive was nice enough to sit in it for me and adjust the seats. Same amount of room as the old one.
6. No more chrome shift bezel

All in all its a really nice car, and for new Lexus customers it offers alot. I am speaking on a previous customer point of view and as a current customer with a GS. If you have a GS expecially a modded one I wouldn't get rid of it for this one. Even if its payed off I would get a totaly new vehicle. The 2nd. Gen. GS still pulled the crowed at the auto show. If any one is in my shoes as I was actuall ylooking for a new car and really love my current GS so I wasn't getting rid of it, the new GS didn't do it for me. The best part of the car to me is the start button, and seats. I also like the 4 stage suspension, but I think that hurts people who want to put on coilovers. I really like the BMW 6 and the trunk isn't that bad, but they wanted $70,000.00+ for it. SC430 seems to be the route I am going since I want a two door, and luxury.
In conclusion the best car there to me is the Aston Martin DB9 Volante. Must have for rich guys. The best full size luxury car has to be the Audi W-12 A8L. See it and you would swear its a Bently, at least on the inside.
Old 01-14-04 | 07:02 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ThemisN
You mean just like it was a "coincidence" that the current GS took some ques from the E-class at the time? lol.. youre too much.

no, but you think the eclass was the only one with the 4 headlights? the old dodge caravan had 4 lights... the s type has 4 lights too.....

even the new 5 series looks like a current gs

Old 01-14-04 | 11:29 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

That is the best looking GS. That should be the 2006 GS.
Old 01-15-04 | 12:28 AM
chickpig
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by APLUS
5. Rear seats. They wouldn't let you sit in it but the representitive was nice enough to sit in it for me and adjust the seats. Same amount of room as the old one.
Were the rear seats adjustable? Did the rear door panels look the same as the front? Is there wood panelling on the rear arm rest? Any overhead aircon outlets? Did you take any pictures of it? I hope you could get back to me. thanks.

Quick Reply: Now that you have seen the new GS, what do you think?