GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ultimate blackwood solution!!!!!!!!! (updated pics on page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-04, 01:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default ultimate blackwood solution!!!!!!!!!

man it's been a while since people started looking for black wood setup in the gs, however the center console piece has always been a problem coz' the RHD aristo one just doesn't fit without a gap. i have ivory interior but i always wonder how blackwood would look on my car, however with the fitment issue i would never touch it. everything has to be either perfect or it's not happening.

so after a lot of work looking around, i think i have found the ultimate solution. i found an overseas company that does awesome pattern imitation, and i asked if they could do blackwood pattern on the center console (in case you don't know yet, the center console wood is fake). as far as i know all the shops i have been in contact in the US they have pretty bad issues either in color or pattern, so i gave this company a try.

well the result came in today, and whoa la!!! the results are pretty amazing. the following are the pics. sorry it's night time so it's a bit dark

Old 01-07-04, 01:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

here are the center console finished product side by side with the jdm aristo door piece

Old 01-07-04, 01:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

it's hard to see coz' of the lighting, but both me and my friend we inspected the pieces closely. the pattern they match pretty darn well already, but the color isn't 100% perfect. the center console piece is very slightly lighter color than the jdm door piece.

however keep in mind that's if you put two of them side by side. i wonder if i put the pieces in the car (one on the door and one in the center, is it going to be easy to detect. but for sure the color isn't perfect. i went back and forth with the company (thank god they are nice people, otherwise they would have kicked my butt) and this is the best color and pattern setup they can do already.

so now it comes down to one of two solutions. 1) live with the slight color different and get the jdm door pieces, or 2) take out all the factory wood pieces and use the same technology to black wood all of them. that way i have perfect match for sure.

i am still debating which one to go with. this weekend i will put them in the car and see how it goes. for sure the fitment of the center console piece would be perfect coz' heck, it's MY center console to begin with!

and of course, will snap pics for you guys to see. and you tell me what you think
Old 01-07-04, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

oh and about the price and company info, i will keep them private for now as they requested. basically coz' of all the color changes and pattern redesign, i poured in a lot more money than anyone of you would ever want to so that can't be an estimate and the company said they are interested in the US market and want to explore more. i don't want to do any kind of advertising here (against the forums rule) so when the time is right, things would be clear

but at least this is hope for all of us! i have read so much about people wanting the blackwood, but the center console piece has always been the obstacle. the end might be here
Old 01-07-04, 01:46 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Rominl,

looks cool

So, this center piece will fit? No more gap?
When are you posting some pics of your new interior?
Old 01-07-04, 01:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by HKGS300
Hey Rominl,

looks cool

yes no gap, coz' the center console is a LHD one to begin with (off my car). i will make time to do the test fit this weekend and take pics of the car for sure it shouldn't be super hard
Old 01-07-04, 02:16 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by HKGS300

looks cool

Originally posted by rominl
yes no gap, coz' the center console is a LHD one to begin with (off my car). i will make time to do the test fit this weekend and take pics of the car for sure it shouldn't be super hard
Looks nice but I got confused.

Did they use blackwood imitation pattern and imprint it onto your OEM piece? Or did they fabricate a piece that will replace the OEM piece? From these conversation it sounds like it's a new piece they shipped to you, but I have the impression that they worked on your piece and shipped it back to you, therefore couldn't possibly have any fitment issues.

Sorry for the run-on sentence but just want to know. thanks alot!
Old 01-07-04, 02:40 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice!
Old 01-07-04, 03:03 AM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

are there gonna be 2 more holes for my heat seat buttons
Old 01-07-04, 03:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Looks nice but I got confused.

Did they use blackwood imitation pattern and imprint it onto your OEM piece? Or did they fabricate a piece that will replace the OEM piece? From these conversation it sounds like it's a new piece they shipped to you, but I have the impression that they worked on your piece and shipped it back to you, therefore couldn't possibly have any fitment issues.

Sorry for the run-on sentence but just want to know. thanks alot!
ooops sorry for the confusion. it's not a new piece. its the piece that's on your car. they reworked mine and imprint the blackwood pattern on my center console.
Old 01-07-04, 03:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by GS400kid
are there gonna be 2 more holes for my heat seat buttons
whatever you send them is whatever it comes back
Old 01-07-04, 05:36 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

2001HiTechGs (Jimmy) did a complete blackwood conversion on his GS3, including the center console. Not sure where he got the kit from, but it looked very nice from the last time I saw it

Old 01-07-04, 06:04 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I thought he used the Aristo piece. From that pic you can see the gap!!
Old 01-07-04, 06:48 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ya jimmy(2001hitech) got the complete aristo kit, u can c the small gap on the drivers side, very small gap....

rom ... i think i would prefer the company doing all the pieces so that way they all match up , but it depends on price .would the aristo sides and shift **** b a lot less $ than haveing the company redo the stock pieces? same price? more? also can this company do the shift **** aswell? very interesting find rom, i've been waiting 4 steve like most here 2 come up with something 4 the center consoel 4 a while now b4 i bought the aristo sides glad i didn't yet cus if u'r guys can redo all the pieces and shift **** i'll go with them depending on price of course...

i also had the same wondor if it would match up nice with biege interior but if anyting i'll get this done 4 the black one, that would b really nice on black interior...i'll wait 2 c what it looks like against u'r biege 2 c if i like it...thanx 4 the info..

Last edited by bluelex; 01-07-04 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-07-04, 07:03 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

This is Good News,
Ive been wanting to do this mod for a while

Rom-what would be the turn around time on this?

Quick Reply: ultimate blackwood solution!!!!!!!!! (updated pics on page 4)