GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Question about the GS430 from LS400 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-04, 07:54 AM
Jaxon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the GS430 from LS400 owner

I've owned a '96 LS400 and an SC400. How would a GS430 compare with either the LS400 or the LS430?

Are they as reliable? Is the interior significantly pinched compares to the LS? What about the comfort of the ride? Overall performance?

Thinking of moving to a GS430 or an LS430. I'll drive them both, but that isn't the same as owning one for a while.
Old 01-15-04, 08:26 AM
I Love GS4
Driver

I don't have any experience to give you from the LS400/430 standpoint.
But from the GS side of things, the interior is anything but "pinched" Last night I drove to Monterey for dinner with some of my football friends, I am 6'0" and 255lbs. We have a 6'4" 280lbs. a 6'2" 250lbs, and a 5'11" 210lbs and there was room to spare. I barely have to move my seat up, and the front seat passenger was almost stretched out.
Power is there for sure, IIRC the GS has the most ponies of ANY of the Lexus cars (including the LS, SC)
Handling when stock is a little bouncy. You sure don't feel much of the road. I guess that is Luxury, but remember that the GS is the Performance sedan from Lexus, not there Prestigious Luxury flagship the LS. Most of the guys on here will tell you if you are looking for a better ride then you want to put on some 18" wheels, give the car a slight drop and add some new suspension components. I have added L-Tuned shocks springs and TRD sway bars and it is lovely ride. Not too harsh, but tons better than feeling like you are going to bounce right off the road going around turns.
The reliability is there for sure (in essence it is the same engine just tuned a little differently) MY GS has 130K miles and it runs like the day I got it. Even for being 5 years old now it gets stares wherever it goes. That is always nice, but maybe you get them in the LS too.
In summary you are really dealing with two very different beasts. If it is Luxury, a comfortable ride, roomy beyond belief, then you NEED an LS, but if you are willing to sacrafice a little ride comfort, a littel space, and a little luxury to gain the ultimate road going performance sedan that still holds a touch of class and dignity, and demands respect where ever it treads, then the GS is definitely your car.

Sorry for rambling on like this, but I hope this helps you make your decision.
-Chris
Old 01-15-04, 08:39 AM
Jaxon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Chris- Not wordy at all. In fact, I really enjoyed reading it. We are all spoiled with these cars. bought the LS for my wife. It has been a great car. It really doesn't NEED replacing, but I think they are beginning to show their age a little in style.

Thanks again, I wanted some input from am owner and driver!
Old 01-15-04, 08:46 AM
I Love GS4
Driver

Glad that I could help. I know what you mean about the LS400 showing it's age. It looks really good still, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. It might be the headlights I think. Every car out there now has some fancy different wierd headlight shape, the LS400 is just a rectangle. The GS is timeless as far as I am concerned. Here is a picture of mine, I can't imagine her ever looking outdated, but I am sure it will happen . . .
-Chris
Old 01-15-04, 09:04 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Question about the GS430 from LS400 owner

I've owned a '96 LS400 and an SC400. How would a GS430 compare with either the LS400 or the LS430? Are they as reliable? Is the interior significantly pinched compares to the LS? What about the comfort of the ride? Overall performance?

The GS has the same engine as the LS, but different exhaust piping, hence a bit more power in the GS, but overall, a very reliable engine and transmission. A few electrical gremlins in the non-Nakamichi radio display in the GS (some digits don't show up occasionally). I have a few rattles in my car over rough roads, but it's no big annoyance. I did have a really bad glovebox rattle, but I fixed that using someone's extensive DIY post on this forum.

The intereior of the GS is smaller than the LS--I do have my car seat a little back, and it's a tighter squeeze for the rear passengers than the LS, being that the GS has a smaller wheelbase. For taller passengers (over 6') a quick jaunt around town is fine, but for an extended trip, it might be a bit less comfortable for them, as their knees will come close to hitting the front seats unless you move your front seats forward (which is a little less comfortable for the driver, but not uncomfortable). Try out the interior, set the front seats to your liking, then get into the rear seat to see if it's enough space for you. I'm 5'7" and I have averaged sized friends (5'4"-6'0"), and space isn't a big issue in the GS.

I have the stock suspension, and the ride comfort is OK (maybe 7 out of 10). I have the stock 17" Lexus rims on my car (235 width), and it is nice on smooth roads, but once you hit rough roads, it gets a bit more harsh and jolting. If you don't have good, quality tires, the road/tire noise can be pretty loud on some surfaces. The LS, however, is much smoother and quieter than the GS in just about any road condition (mabye a 9 out of 10) (the softer tires and suspension probably have somethign to do with it, along w/ more sound deadening materials in the LS).

As for performance, being that the GS is a bit lighter and develops a little more power, it's somewaht faster than the LS. However, it's not that much faster. If you're shooting for more luxury, I'd go for the LS, but if you want the fastest Lexus with a few compromises (stock, at least), go for the GS.

Thinking of moving to a GS430 or an LS430. I'll drive them both, but that isn't the same as owning one for a while. [

That sounds like the best thing you can do--give them both a drive, and go for the one that you really like. Good luck.
Old 01-15-04, 10:55 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

r u more into modding the car or do u just like it stock....stock 2 stock they r both nice cars but if u r going 2 mod one or the other than the gs4 has much more option out there ....
Old 01-15-04, 12:01 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My father owned a '99 LS400. I inherited it when he passed away (God rest his soul.) I drove it for a few weeks afterward and never warmed up to it. Beautiful car, but too large and ungainly for my tastes. Traded it for an '01 GS300 and never regretted it. The GS is still pretty floaty in stock form, but not nearly as much as the LS400. Much more maneuverable. Didn't feel I was giving up any conveniences either. Similar wood and leather, CD changer in glovebox, Optitron lighting (but better), etc. I'm now on my second GS, so I would highly recommend it. Didn't get a GS430 this time around because the Sportdesign came with Saddle interior and sport-tuned suspension. Otherwise, I would have gone the GS430 route.
Old 01-15-04, 03:09 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

The new 04 LS430 with sports package is just sweet. I love the look of that car. It also has all the stuff you expect to see on a Luxury car - 6 speed tranny, heated & cooled seats, etc. If it were between an 04 GS430 and a 04 LS430, I just couldn't see picking the GS430 - way too outdated compared with the LS. However, when the new GS comes out, then my opinion might change. As of now, they basically have the same performance 0-60 and I'll bet the LS430 with sports package handles at least as well as the GS.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-15-04, 04:43 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by I Love GS4
I don't have any experience to give you from the LS400/430 standpoint.
But from the GS side of things, the interior is anything but "pinched" Last night I drove to Monterey for dinner with some of my football friends, I am 6'0" and 255lbs. We have a 6'4" 280lbs. a 6'2" 250lbs, and a 5'11" 210lbs and there was room to spare. I barely have to move my seat up, and the front seat passenger was almost stretched out.
I don't exactly know how to respond without looking like I want to start some flaming, and I do really enjoy my GS430 but come on now. I am 6'1" and having just lost 66 lbs, I am under 250 but the only way someone is going to be comfortable in the back seat behind me is if they had both legs removed at the hip. Among the A6, 5, and E, I found the GS to be much more comfortable for someone of my size, at least up front. But to believe you are going to put a couple of six footers in the front and be left with stretch out room in the back is just unrealistic. To give any footroom in the rear you are going to truly appreciate that scene in "As good as it gets" where Jack runs the seat in the Saab up so the steering wheel is in his gut to give back seat room. The GS was just not intended to be that, neither was the short wheelbase 7 but that's a different story. At least in this area, if interior volume is necessary, lean towards the LS. The GS had far more sporting appearance than the LS but the current LS is pretty remarkable for a big sedan. There is a reason why it is one of the top ten hottest models now.

And while the trunk in the GS is surprising, it still isn't up there with the LS.
Old 01-15-04, 05:48 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Question about the GS430 from LS400 owner

Originally posted by Jaxon
I've owned a '96 LS400 and an SC400. How would a GS430 compare with either the LS400 or the LS430?
Are they as reliable? Is the interior significantly pinched compares to the LS? What about the comfort of the ride? Overall performance?
Thinking of moving to a GS430 or an LS430. I'll drive them both, but that isn't the same as owning one for a while.
My previous Lexus was a 93 LS400, traded it around 95K miles and four years of ownership without a single problem. I purchased my current 99 GS400 last March and expect my GS4 to be as reliable as my LS4. 93 LS4 only has 250 HP and its 1/4M time is in the low 16. My current 99 GS4 has 300HP and does the quarter around mid 14. GS430 acceleration is about the same as GS400. Motor Trend tested a LS430 (01/2002) and acquired a 14.5 1/4M, and 6.1 0-60 time. I feel comfortable in both cars. The backseat in the LS may be slightly wider than my GS. Both cars ride like a boat and quiet. GS4 attracts younger driverS than LS4 and there are more performance parts available for GS.