GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

More Pics of 3rd. Gen. GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-04, 08:04 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by APLUS

Yes I must have that car. It is my new inspiration, second to getting filthy rich. To me that is an instant classic GT. Did you see the convertible one? Must have I must say. The rake on the windshield really makes the car stand out. I am going to my local Aston Martin dealer to get some close up views of it. Wish they let me take it out for a spin, but they won't $30,000.00 non-refundable cash deposit for a test drive
I dont know why, but lately I am REALLY liking these cars as well! I think its the size of them, they have the classic GT proportions, long hood, low roof, short raked deck! These are also extremely understated and classy!

Aplus- you have good taste!
Old 01-17-04, 08:23 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by APLUS
The seats look great though. Hopefully the GS will at least offer other types of wood colors like on the LS and SC.

Yes the seats are amazing looking but remind me of the seats in a Acura CL-Type S?

Finally some seats with good side support. Makes you fit more snugly in the cockpit.

The current GS's seats are as flat as a pancake you are reminded of it when you make any type of turns.

Someone at Lexus was listening!

Add me to the list of the many new fans of this great looking next GEN GS! It looks great and it's about time.
Old 01-17-04, 10:12 AM
Mind18
Driver

Originally posted by doug_999
Ok, you guys didn't ask, but here goes anyway...
You all know I miss my 5-series something fierce. Most of you know that the new 5 doesn't do it for me (nor you guys either). But I have to tell you, I LOVE THE NEW GS!

So here's the thought - maybe, just maybe, this new GS was designed to appeal to German car buyers? Or maybe to people that like German cars? I dunno. Let the insults begin
I think you could be on to something, because I've always felt that recently Lexus as taken their "ideas/mimics" too far. For example, the IS300 was basically created to compete against the BMW 3 series, where even the dimensions are similiar. However I've always felt, while i love the looks of the car, that in their quest to create a more youthful brand and mimic their competitors, they forgot that Lexus alone has some great attributes , the interior of their vehicles being what they overlooked in this case. I believe Lexus even admitted that they undercut the target age group they thought this car would appeal to.

The second example would be with the SC430, where their central "model" was luxury ships/boats. Again I almost think they took this idea too far, where I ask, what happened to the idea of "sport" as well, which was one aspect that made the pervios SC so appealing? Instead of sport luxury, the SC became a luxury cruiser. And now we come to the new GS, where as you pointed out doug_999, maybe they are again trying to appeal to German buyers by mimicing them, but perhaps taking this idea too far (i.e. the BMWish interior).

I'm still a Lexus fan, but these days I wondering what Lexus is thinking? I thought they hired an advertising group in order to refocus the brand identitiy, but I just sense confusion. I'm glad Lexus is still doing well, but I somethings wish they weren't, in order for them to become more "fierce" in competing....a little creative destruction if you will......

Just my four cents.

Last edited by Mind18; 01-17-04 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-17-04, 01:40 PM
Pelligrino
Driver School Candidate

APLUS

They didn't have the convertible one there, but i can only image how that one looks. Yea the lines of this car are truely amazing, its just so sleek and clean. Did you say a $30,000 non-refundable cash deposit to TEST DRIVE! Thats a little insane, but if your gonna test drive it you might as well buy it. Definately a good choice of cars. Pick me up for a ride when you get one....

I'm loving my GS to the fullest but my next move in a couple years i think will be the Mercedes S-Class, new or used I haven't decided but I am addicted to the big body Benz's. Just something about the S gives me the chills. Thats what I'm sayin now, but maybe my mind will change once somemore cars come out but I've been stuck on this S-class for a while.

Last edited by Pelligrino; 01-17-04 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-17-04, 07:00 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pelligrino

Good choice on the S-Class. I say o for the 2003, thats when it got the Bi-xenon lights and updated tailights.
Yeah I just got a great deal on a foreclosed home that I just bought and I am going to get involved into foreclosed property. Its pretty nice here in Detroit. Home pricing starting to rise. Give me a few years and the DB9 Volante will be mine.
Old 01-17-04, 11:39 PM
Pelligrino
Driver School Candidate

APLUS

Yea we'll see what happens in a couple years but for now i'll focus some time on the GS and do that up. Yea whenever you get that DB9, you let me know......and we'll see how fast that thing really goes.
Old 01-18-04, 05:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

The new GS sucks royally!!! This is supposed to be ground-breaking style???? Just as Mind18 said, I can only see confusion.

The upside to this is that our 2nd gen GS looks even better than this and will indeed remain good looking for a very long time.
LET THE MODS CONTINUE!!!!!

Last edited by Hameed; 01-18-04 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-18-04, 05:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

At least in pics, the more I see it, the more I don't like it.
Old 01-18-04, 06:35 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hameed
The new GS sucks royally!!! This is supposed to be ground-breaking style???? Just as Mind18 said, I can only see confusion.

The upside to this is that our 2nd gen GS looks even better than this and will indeed remain good looking for a very long time.
LET THE MODS CONTINUE!!!!!
Hey Hameed,

Your GS looks great, I loved my former 2001 GS430, but once this new GS comes out, it'll make the current GS look outdated, no matter how many mods you do to your current one.

I remember when the new RX330 came out there were people that didn't like the new styling and complained about the interior and said they would keep their RX300s, but as you see more RX330s on the road, the old gen RX300 just looks so outdated.

The current GS is long overdue for a revamp and of course people have different opinions on the new style, but see it in person at a autoshow and it'll grow on you. Add me to the list of fans of this new generation.

Last edited by lexguynj; 01-18-04 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-18-04, 06:39 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally posted by lexguynj
Hey Hameed,

Once this new GS comes out, it'll make the current GS look outdated, no matter how many mods you do to your current one.
I beg to differ bro! The current style is a timeless classic. Other timeless classics that come to mind: Nissan 300 ZX TT, Shelby Cobra, last generation MR2, current MB SL500 etc.

The 3rd gen GS is anything but a timeless classic. Each to his own. It is all good!

Last edited by Hameed; 01-18-04 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-18-04, 07:40 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

[QUOTE]Originally posted by APLUS
[B]Aplus, are you associated with Autospies?

No, but I don't know if any of you guys remember that I am starting my on Auto Styling Boutique, A-Plus Motoring, I am just looking for the right location, and waiting a little bit because I just bought a new house.
With My business I get alot of memberships and access to certain areas.

how can you have a business without a location? personally i don't think its a business until you're open for such. until then its just some paperwork filled out for tax purposes. it does sound like you have a lot of knowledge about different cars.

Here is a pic of a Crossfire with the wheels I want
http://www.dealerrater.com/gallery/xl/DSC_1745.jpg

just my opinion but that crossfire is butt ugly. i really dislike the grill and the recessed sides. the new gs is way better looking. so is the bmw. would you really want a chrysler? not exactly know for being reliable

that car with the blue interior, i don't know what kind it is, but the blue color inside would make me vomit all over it.

that aston martin is classic i'm drooling, what a beautiful car. i would love to own that one.

thank you for posting all the pictures of the new gs. i'm starting to dig on the lights front and rear, the seats look better than the current ones. i do think that after you see them on the road the old car will look older and the new car will be more accepted

Last edited by 3dog; 01-18-04 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-18-04, 12:04 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember when the new RX330 came out there were people that didn't like the new styling and complained about the interior and said they would keep their RX300s, but as you see more RX330s on the road, the old gen RX300 just looks so outdated.
You're funny. I still don't like the styling, and I wouldn't trade my '03 RX300 for an '04 RX330 if Lexus paid me. The RX330 interior is nice, but the exterior looks like a big shoe on wheels. They lost something in the translation from first gen to second gen.

BTW, I'm also a fan of the new GS, but I think the current generation will be a classic, just like the first gen SC. I owned an SC430, and I still think the SC300/400 is a much prettier car. Just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better.
Old 01-18-04, 01:04 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by dseag2
You're funny. I still don't like the styling, and I wouldn't trade my '03 RX300 for an '04 RX330 if Lexus paid me. The RX330 interior is nice, but the exterior looks like a big shoe on wheels. They lost something in the translation from first gen to second gen.

BTW, I'm also a fan of the new GS, but I think the current generation will be a classic, just like the first gen SC. I owned an SC430, and I still think the SC300/400 is a much prettier car. Just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better.
Why thank you! I am funny! Of course the styling of these new vehicles are all subjective. The RX300 is a great vehicle and still is, but the RX300 styling still is more appealing to soccer moms than to guys that are looking for more sportiness in a truck. The RX330 was tweaked to appeal to a broader range of consumer, that is why the performance package option, 18" wheels, sportier exterior (someone was listening over there at Lexus). That is why I believe newer is better in most cases.

Take a look at the first GEN GS, I'm sure there were people up in arms and critical when the total revamp of the 2nd GEN GS came around. It'll all grow on you as time goes on. This new & upcoming GS looks good and it can only get better from there. Especially when they upgrade to the new V8 which will be making all of us drool and want one.

This debate can go on and on, because there are people that desire the latest and greatest and people that are content with what they have now and keeping it for the long term. There is nothing wrong with either case or side of the fence you are on.

As for your former SC430, that is a beautiful car! As for the SC300/400 it may have the classic style you had mentioned, however it's just outdated now and reborn initially in the new Camry Solara (which is also a nice vehicle).
Old 01-18-04, 10:09 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

anyone notice that the radio/ navi looks to be made of some sort of cardboard cutout? looks like its just one that they slapped together for the show and then they go back and finish all the things they couldnt. almost seems like the carboad cutouts at like the furniture store to make it look like there was a tv and vcr in the ent center.

just another observation, looks like it had push button start and stop.

Last edited by Stage3; 01-18-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 07:34 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Why thank you! I am funny! Of course the styling of these new vehicles are all subjective. The RX300 is a great vehicle and still is, but the RX300 styling still is more appealing to soccer moms than to guys that are looking for more sportiness in a truck. The RX330 was tweaked to appeal to a broader range of consumer, that is why the performance package option, 18" wheels, sportier exterior (someone was listening over there at Lexus). That is why I believe newer is better in most cases.
You're right... it is all subjective. You just keep tellin' yourself that your RX330 doesn't look like a soccer mom mobile and I'll keep tellin' myself that my RX300 still looks good!

Quick Reply: More Pics of 3rd. Gen. GS