GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

More Pics of 3rd. Gen. GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 08:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally posted by lexguynj
Your GS looks great, I loved my former 2001 GS430, but once this new GS comes out, it'll make the current GS look outdated, no matter how many mods you do to your current one.

I remember when the new RX330 came out there were people that didn't like the new styling and complained about the interior and said they would keep their RX300s, but as you see more RX330s on the road, the old gen RX300 just looks so outdated.
I agree when it comes to 'stock' setups. The 1st gen. GS looked good to me but the 2nd looks much better (to me at least). I expect I will prefer the overall look of the 3rd gen. to a STOCK 2nd gen GS when I see it in person. Each gen adds some more visual cues, details, trim, that usually add appeal and make it seem more 'modern', leaving the previous gen behind. However, I think a modded 2nd gen GS, with staggered larger rims and aftermarket exhaust, will remain really appealing for a long time. The 1st gen Lexus SC is a good example too... I saw one recently, black, with aftermarket rims, and that was it, and it looked stunning.
Old 01-19-04, 08:49 AM
J-Money
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

With that being said, I still don't like it. It seems that the made the butt even bigger. Or maybe thats the hips? Anywho, about 1/2 into the rear doors it looks too big. Just MHO.

Baby got HIPS............ GS face with a big ole booty!
Old 01-19-04, 08:52 AM
J-Money
Driver School Candidate

I like the front however, not sure if I like the current front better or not though.

Just looks like it needs a more sloping rear window and that would solve it for me.
Old 01-19-04, 12:48 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Mind18
I think you could be on to something, because I've always felt that recently Lexus as taken their "ideas/mimics" too far. For example, the IS300 was basically created to compete against the BMW 3 series, where even the dimensions are similiar. However I've always felt, while i love the looks of the car, that in their quest to create a more youthful brand and mimic their competitors, they forgot that Lexus alone has some great attributes , the interior of their vehicles being what they overlooked in this case. I believe Lexus even admitted that they undercut the target age group they thought this car would appeal to.

The second example would be with the SC430, where their central "model" was luxury ships/boats. Again I almost think they took this idea too far, where I ask, what happened to the idea of "sport" as well, which was one aspect that made the pervios SC so appealing? Instead of sport luxury, the SC became a luxury cruiser. And now we come to the new GS, where as you pointed out doug_999, maybe they are again trying to appeal to German buyers by mimicing them, but perhaps taking this idea too far (i.e. the BMWish interior).

I'm still a Lexus fan, but these days I wondering what Lexus is thinking? I thought they hired an advertising group in order to refocus the brand identitiy, but I just sense confusion. I'm glad Lexus is still doing well, but I somethings wish they weren't, in order for them to become more "fierce" in competing....a little creative destruction if you will......

Just my four cents.
You forgot the ls430. It's a copy of the last model s-class mercedes.
I also am still a lexus fan....of the first gen cars.
Old 01-19-04, 01:01 PM
J-Money
Driver School Candidate

Thing is when you look all makes of cars people are complaining about the same thing. I think manufacturers are jumping the gun on this "futuristic" look. They seem to be trying too hard. Just let evolution take over. I think they are trying to make cars look like what people thought in the 80's. Well we don't have flying cars yet, nor all the other wishful thinking we did back then. Just let gradual changes take place, and who knows.... maybe cars will NEVER look like what we thought of as "cars of the future".

Just my .68 cents.
Old 01-19-04, 06:48 PM
CorplHIcks
Driver School Candidate

Default APLUS ? any more pics

APLUS, did you get more pics, specifically of rear seat area and other areas like you said you would?

If so, can you post them????

Thanks.
Old 01-19-04, 07:00 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by dseag2
You're right... it is all subjective. You just keep tellin' yourself that your RX330 doesn't look like a soccer mom mobile and I'll keep tellin' myself that my RX300 still looks good!
Don't get me wrong, the RX330 is still a soccer mom's type of vehicle, which is why it's my wife's primary vehicle for her and the baby. However it's less of a soccer mom's car now than the previous RX300. It's a sportier soccer mom's car!

Last edited by lexguynj; 01-19-04 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 08:47 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

egads first lexus messed up the sc redo into a ladybug sc430 convertible and now they
turned the gs into a limp lump of metal.

i hope everyone speaks up and lexus listens so they can -change-
Old 01-20-04, 05:56 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 3rd gen gs

All of a sudden I am starting to appreciate Chris Bangle more. As most everyone, I didn't like the new bimmer 7. Now it has grown on me. The new 5 is growing on me. It's because the cars don't look like every other car you see on the road. Aucra, then Lexus started something. Understated, yet sporty and elegant. BMW was always that. Now that everyone is riding that formula, it's time to be bold and daring.

Maybe the new gs will grow on everyone. If not, let's send letters to Lexus demanding they hire Bangle.