GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

homelink/ garage door openor question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 02:18 PM
hersh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homelink/ garage door openor question

we just bought a 2001 GS300 and i tried to program the garage door openor buttons according to the instructions in the manual. this did not work, i dont know why, the light above the button was flashing like it was supposed to when it recieved the code and whatnot. does anyone have any ideas as to why this may be the case? the garage door system is liftmaster

thanks.
Old 01-16-04, 02:20 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Do you know if it uses rolling code? I think theres a website homelink.com that you may want to check out...Oh and Welcome

Last edited by Letsride; 01-16-04 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-16-04, 02:29 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

if your garage door opener does use rolling code techonology then there's probably a button on the garage door opening unit itself that you gotta press. when u do press it you must then hold in the homelink button until the it is programmed, it should work, did for me. Good luck and welcome to CL.
Old 01-16-04, 02:32 PM
hersh
Driver School Candidate

i found the button, it was inside the garage door thing on the ceiling...

well it works now. thanks everyone. and thanks for the welcome.
Old 01-16-04, 02:35 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

NP
Old 01-16-04, 03:53 PM
Timster
Rookie

Wish mine did!
I've programmed a couple of dozen of these and this is only the second one that will not program.
I guess I have to take to the dealer and ask for a replacement.

Old 01-16-04, 05:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah i hate rolling codes
Old 01-16-04, 06:50 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Got the directions from the homelink site. I think it mentions that you may have to push the remote several times to get it programmed into the opener. After over a year of not being able to work, this solved it. I have to push the homelink button in the GS three times for the opener to pick it up. After that, everything is fine.
Old 01-16-04, 08:38 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Homelink instructions

This sounds weird, but a lot of people have been having problems with programming the Homelink in their cars, so you're not alone. I had a problem programming my car too, as I tried to follow the instructions in the manual--which really don't make sense. In any event, I got hold of the factory service manual and from deciphering the signal sequence, I wrote the following info (aka my easier, no-non-sense version) up on how to program the Homelink:

---------------------------------------------

HOMELINK REMOTE PROGRAMMING

PROCEDURE A: If you have a rolling code garage door opener (most new ones are of this type)

1. Decide which of the 3 Homelink buttons you want to use to open your garage door. Press this button for 20 seconds, after which the Homelink LED will start blinking about 1Hertz. Keep pressing this Homelink button.

2. Bring the handheld garage remote close to the Homelink unit in your car and firmly push the button on the handheld remote (for about 0.5 seconds) a few times (spacing the pushes about 1 push every 2 seconds). Once the red LED on the Homelink starts blinking in 5.6 Hz cycle, it means that the code has been properly programmed into the Homelink. You can now stop presssing the Homelink button.

3. Next, on your garage door opener (note, this is the main motor unit), you'll need to find the "Train" button (which is sometimes hidden inside the light cover). This "Train" button allows you to program a new remote to the garage door opener, so it can start registering the new rolling code. Press and release the "Train" button, and your garage door opener will start blinking. While garage door opener main unit is blinking (you should have about 30 seconds), get inside your car and push and release the recently programmed Homelink button a couple of times. Once your car's Homelink code has been registered, your garage door opener will operate correctly.

--------------------------------------------

PROCEDURE B: If you do NOT have a rolling code garage door opener (most older ones are of this type)

1. Decide which of the 3 Homelink buttons you want to use to open your garage door. Press this button for 20 seconds, after which the Homelink LED will start blinking about 1Hertz. Keep pressing this Homelink button.

2. Bring the handheld garage remote close to the Homelink unit in your car and firmly push the button on the handheld remote (for about 0.5 seconds) a few times (spacing the pushes about 1 push every 2 seconds). Once the red LED on the Homelink starts blinking 5.6 Hz cycle, it means that the code has been properly programmed into the Homelink. You can now stop presssing the Homelink button. Your remote has now been properly programmed and you can start using it immediately (since your garage door opener main unit does not have a rolling code feature that you need to train).

Notes: On a Genie type of garage door opener, the train button should be inside of the light cover on the main opener unit. If you open it up (2 screws on top of the plastic light cover), you should find a black button on the left side of the left light bulb. On Craftsman garage door openers, I believe the train button is on the rear of the main unit. It's somewhat apparent when you're looking for the train button. Good luck to all with this problem!
Old 01-17-04, 05:59 AM
Djdelite
Pole Position

Thanks. for the step by step directions...I couldn't get it at first as well..I might try again..
Old 01-17-04, 07:10 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

SeattleGS400 - Thanks! That was very helpful.