GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Complete Newbie...needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-04, 10:48 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Newbie...needs advice

Hi everyone! I just joined the ranks of Lexus owners and I've been scouring the boards to learn.

Basically I just hope to get some opinions on where is a good place to start modding my new car ('04 GS3). I've already decided that some window tint and bulb replacement are the 1st order of business, but after that I'm lost. Let me say that I love cars and know a fair bit about cars, but when it comes to actually working on them and that type of thing, I know nothing, so bear with me please

Basically what I'd like to do is upgrade the suspension some and maybe put 18s on it. I like the stock ride except it's a little floaty and leans too much. I'd like to keep basically the same ride but level it out and ground it a little more. I'd also like to up the performance some, but I'm definitely not interested in a 500rwhp monster, and I'd prefer to not get into FI, but I'm not totally against it. I also don't want to sound like a rice rocket going down the road...I've got the Levinson system and I'd like to be able to hear it without ruining my ears trying to drown out a droaning muffler!

So, from reading/searching on here, this is a basic idea of what I think (so far) are good components to look at:

Daizen sways, Tein CS, somebody's front STB (what's the difference b/t brands?), Tom's rear links

Then an intake, I'm thinking either ProLex or SRT (how loud are these?) and exhaust but then we get into the loudness again. Also an LSD and TC, but that's way over my head and I'd need to do more reading there.

So...that said, what do you guys think of those components? What am I leaving out? What don't I need? And most importantly, where do I start? This will be a gradual upgrade process, and I don't want to put on one component and screw up my car until I can get the rest installed...make sense?

I'm learning a ton just reading here, and thanks for any help!
Old 01-22-04, 10:51 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Hey,

Welcome to Clublexus!! Anyways, it's good you are reading, honestly your best bet to not annoy or upset anyone is to search for the parts you want using the search in the upper left side of the screen or even the advanced search. So use that first, and you'll be able to answer your own questions. Imagine if there are 1000 new people here everyday and they asked the same question, it's gotta be around this forum somewhere. The best place to search is the search function. Good luck and i'm not trying to get you for anything, just letting you know where you can go to learn stuff.

GsNav
Old 01-22-04, 11:08 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

gsnav -- Thanks for the welcome! I have been using the search function quite a lot, with mixed results. I don't think I form search phrases well! That's how I've narrowed down the components I listed, is reading about them here...I *think* that those are best suited to what I'm looking for.

What I haven't been able to find is the 'beginner's guide to modding'! I've got an idea of what I want, I just don't know where to start. I assume suspension should come before performance, but I don't know where to start there. Does it matter in what order you add suspension parts, or should I try to go (just for example) coilovers then sways, or should I go sways then coilovers, or does it make any difference? What I don't want to do is, just hypothetically, get coilovers before sways, and since it's lowered but still leans start rubbing in turns. I know that's completely extreme and probably impossible, but the point is I don't want to install something and have it lessen my car until I can do something else. I'd like to get a roadmap, if you will, of steady gradual improvements.

If there's a thread on this that I missed, I apologize and will gladly accept a link Wish me luck!
Old 01-22-04, 11:22 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Hey 04GS300,

I'm actually just started coming back on this forum. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm not one who thinks mine is the best train of thought, i'm just here to give you my opinion. I know there are so many things that are possible to upgrade. I think you've narrowed it down well to suspension. Depending on your money issues and what YOU want. Everyone can put in their own saying, but honestly, it's your preference, but i would go with coilovers first before sways. Cause you can limit the lean with the appropriate adjustments on coilovers.

My view on upgrading things is to do it slowly and give a lot of thought to every piece you are going to put on the car. Plus, if you do it piece by piece, then you'll really get to feel and see how much the difference in the upgrade makes.

BTW, i also have a set of coilovers for sale, the TEIN HA's.

Hope this helps, this is just my 2 cents.

GsNav
Old 01-22-04, 11:56 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Complete Newbie...needs advice

Originally posted by 04GS300
Hi everyone! I just joined the ranks of Lexus owners and I've been scouring the boards to learn.

Basically what I'd like to do is upgrade the suspension some and maybe put 18s on it. I like the stock ride except it's a little floaty and leans too much. I'd like to keep basically the same ride but level it out and ground it a little more. I'd also like to up the performance some, but I'm definitely not interested in a 500rwhp monster, and I'd prefer to not get into FI, but I'm not totally against it. I also don't want to sound like a rice rocket going down the road...I've got the Levinson system and I'd like to be able to hear it without ruining my ears trying to drown out a droaning muffler!
Welcome aboard. Like gsnav said, there is a wealth of info that can be attained by searching the site. I'll start with a few suggestions.
So, from reading/searching on here, this is a basic idea of what I think (so far) are good components to look at:

Daizen sways, Tein CS, somebody's front STB (what's the difference b/t brands?), Tom's rear links
It depends on how far you want to take the ride and what you would consider harsh riding. Everyone has different life experiences with cars and "butt-o-meters" for ride tolerances. I would start with the Daizen sways. This will definitely help with the handling and reduce the body roll. See how you like this first. I think that the TRDs race sways are slightly better, not by much but it is there. BUT, it greatly decreases ride quality on bad roads where it translates side-to-side bumps. On flat straight roads, obviously, the ride will still feel pretty good. If you are staying with the stock 16s (not sure if you have 16s or 17s) and stock suspension, you should have enough cushioning to balance out the TRDs. If you are planning on dropping the car and going to 18s, then definitely do Daizens. The only real reason I mentioned the TRDs is they can be had for a little less these days, even new and especially in the classified if you are patient. If you are planning other upgrades, my opinion is to go with the Daizens.

After the sways, if you need to do more, I'd suggest the Tein CS and your 18s. These, I think, should really be done in tandem if possible. They both contribute to handling (better) and ride quality (worse). With the CS and the Daizens, the ride degradation should be minimal. Also, CS is only if you want to retain the ride quality as close to stock as possible. If you like a more sprited ride and can stand a little more ride harshness, the Tein Flex is another great option. There are other good coilovers too but I am keeping in in the Tein family since you mentioned CS and I have experience with both CS and Flex.

You can also do the reverse and go CS/wheels and then sways. The sways are just the least $ investment to start with. Some members have had good success with just sways. Remember, everyone's opinions on ride and handling are different.

If you really want more, come back and we'll talk about additional bracing. You may want to consider the Tom's front and read LCBs.

If you want STBs, I only know only the UGO and RMM will fit the GS300. You may have to remove the engine cover or add spacers. This topic has been discussed so "search" .

Then an intake, I'm thinking either ProLex or SRT (how loud are these?) and exhaust but then we get into the loudness again.
I have the PLP silent flow. Not any real noticeable noise, hence the silent flow name. It gave a little more oomph on the pedal. If you are realistic and are not expecting to get a 400 out of it, then you'll like it. The SRT one is a more comprehensice system with intake and ECU. I believe the SRTs will give you the most power from the feedback on the forum. It is more costly and invasive since the install involves splicing wires.

Exhaust noise is so personal that it is hard to say. Most will drone on the 300. It is just to what extent. I have the RMM but since I have not put it on yet, I can't say. From my reasearch though, the RMM is the quietest of the bunch. It is also not the deepest in tone but you can't have it both ways. Either it is loud (a nice loud) at WOT and drone a little, or it is quieter at WOT and minimal drone. You just have to pick your poison. I would suggest going here to get a few samples:
http://www.lexusgonewild.com/norCal_...xhaustComp.htm

There is also this:

http://www.lexusgonewild.com/norCal_...xhaustComp.htm

but that could be a little misleading since the sound is coming from a v8.

You can also buy the DVD which I think is better since it is higher res sound being played in (let's say) your home theater with a better bass unit/sub. You can definitely get a better feel for the sound.

Also an LSD and TC, but that's way over my head and I'd need to do more reading there.
Although the 300s don't put down as much power as the 400s, I think evey little bit helps. It is not as big of a bang-for-the-buck as it is for the 400s, but if you have the funds, I'd say go for the TC. I have not done enough research on the LSD to see if it is beneficial in the 300s.

And most importantly, where do I start? This will be a gradual upgrade process, and I don't want to put on one component and screw up my car until I can get the rest installed...make sense?
Except for the TC and the SRT ECU wiring, the other mods are relatively safe. I'd start with the suspension since that is the most lacking in our cars.

Good luck.

Last edited by Neo; 01-22-04 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 01:59 PM
04GS300
Pole Position

Thanks a ton, Neo! That helps a lot. I was really concerned about my starting point...I've never really suped up a car before, so I don't know the chain reactions of what affects what else and where to start...I'm relieved to hear it's pretty safe to basically start where ever.

From what I've read re: Daizen vs. TRD, I think I'm definitely more suited to the Daizen sways.

Anyone else care to chime in? All opinions are welcome and will be considered!!!
Old 01-22-04, 02:17 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks a ton, Neo! That helps a lot. I was really concerned about my starting point...I've never really suped up a car before, so I don't know the chain reactions of what affects what else and where to start...I'm relieved to hear it's pretty safe to basically start where ever.
Although this is somewhat true, they all do work together. Be honest with yourself and assess how far you want to go. For example, in the suspension, I would not do the LCBs first. You get more out of some combo of coilovers (or shocks and springs), wheels, and sways. The other pieces are really fine tuning for me. Each piece will change the ride characteristics. I usually like to balance the front and rear. I would not get a front or rear sway by itself. You can get away with a front (or rear) STB or LCB only but it will affect the handling characteristics and if you are not careful and under estimate the changes, it could become dangerous.

I'm not trying to scare you. Depending on what you do, always be more aware of the car after a change and be safe. Modding a car is a lot of fun, very addictive, and costs a lot of $ . I've done minor things to previous cars but this is the first car that I've commited to really mod so I know how you feel. I really underestimated what I wanted to do and have replaced parts because of it. It was a great learning experience but it was costly. This is why I mentioned to really be brutally honest with yourself on how far you are going to take this and plan accordingly.

The wealth of knowledge and the willingness to share/help on this forum is amazing. So, continue to ask so you get enough info to make appropriate decisions. Ultimately, no matter what people say here, you will still have to go with your gut.
Old 01-22-04, 03:10 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

From what I've read re: Daizen vs. TRD, I think I'm definitely more suited to the Daizen sways.

Anyone else care to chime in? All opinions are welcome and will be considered!!!
Hi and welcome. Here is what my experience has been.

First Intake: i bought the SRT Intake, but then i decided against it, just because there was really no concrete evidence to justify it. I have read lots of ppl that like it and some that dont. So instead i bought the Weapon R Intake and a custom cold air box. I liked it a lot. However, when i first put it on, i noticed less torque on the low end..which is normal w/ adding intakes. The plus side was that it increases your top end power. I love the sound it makes. Not even barely noticeable during idle. When you go wide open, it sounds beautiful https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=101162

Second Exhaust: i bought the TRD cat back exhaust. Very few members have that exhaust. It does not look as flashy as other exhausts (by that i mean the shiny chrome look), but it works beautiful. Awesome on startup. You do not notice it at all..until you give it some gas. Deep and not obnoxious. Turns heads when i gun it Plus since i added the exhaust it seemed to add the low end torque back. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=103663
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=108134

Third Suspension: From what i have read the overall choice if you can afford it is the tein coil overs. I however, was not ready to spend all that much quit yet. So, i bought the L-tuned struts w/ Eibach Pro Kit springs. Wow, it made the car look a lot better. Made the ride handle a lot better too. Not as good as our bmw, but very good. Now in regards to sway bars, i will be getting the Daizen sways. I have heard nothing but GOOD things about them. Trd is also good, but too stiff. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=101162

Appearance: the quickest yet one of the best exterior mods...get the cleared out bumper lens. It is right in front of the front wheels. Get rid of the yellow. you can buy the clear lens on ebay for around $18. Also, you can make your front grill all chrome. See, lexus made our grills chromed, but then painted over it w/ black paint. You can remove the black paint yourself...its worth it https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=93892

Hope that helps

Last edited by koreanpers; 01-22-04 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 03:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus!

The other guys have covered your questions pretty well. The BEST way to get your questions answered and gather experience is go to a local meet and see/experience this stuff for yourself. Not sure where in NC you are, but there are a few of us scattered out here and there. I'm in Charlotte.

Check the regional forums for local meets in the SE.
Old 01-23-04, 07:23 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

Thanks, Dave! I'll check out the regional forums. I'm out in Chapel Hill...probably about 2.5 hours from Charlotte.
Old 01-23-04, 07:44 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm in GSO too....
Old 01-24-04, 07:38 PM
04GS300
Pole Position

Thanks, LetsRide. Anybody in the RDU area on here? Also, where are some good shops to get work done in NC? Or do you guys just use the dealerships? It seems most of the Lexus tuneshops are out in Cali.
Old 01-25-04, 03:50 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I do my own work....
Old 01-25-04, 06:51 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus! You can find lots of GURUS here!
Old 01-25-04, 09:26 PM
04GS300
Pole Position

Letsride....what model is your GS? Mine is Crystal White as well....it looks like we've got almost the same car! lol

Quick Reply: Complete Newbie...needs advice