GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DPW paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 09:52 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPW paint

hey guys,
i am wondering for those who have body kits on DWP gs, did you have to paint the enitre car to get to mtach or did you just paint the kits????? pics would be great!! thanks
rick
Old 01-24-04, 10:04 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

If a good shop paints and installs your kit, all they'll have to do is paint what your adding.. Shops that know what they're doing usually can match it up pretty good..
Old 01-27-04, 09:30 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

I have to get my spoiler and roof spoiler painted at the same time, and then my aero kit painted another time. I am scared that the paint from the spoiler and the roof spoiler wont match the paint when I finally get the aero kit installed, let alone match the DWP paint on vehicle itself.
Old 01-27-04, 10:34 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

i agree with sypher... just go to a good shop. DO NOT look for the best deal. just go for a top notch shop and they should do a good enough job. i went to a place that paints ferraris and is a authorized ppg paint shop. i have white also.. was very hard to match.

T
Old 01-27-04, 07:44 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

hey guys ,
i decided since i got a body kit, new spoilers, and grill, i am gonna go ahead and get the enitre car painted, this way i dont have to worry about matching, plus i can eliminate all rock chips and scratches. how much do you think a job like would cost me. i got a quote of 3k thats with installin the body kit grill and spoiler from the lexus dealer. thanks
rick
Old 01-27-04, 10:45 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 00lexondub
hey guys ,
i decided since i got a body kit, new spoilers, and grill, i am gonna go ahead and get the enitre car painted, this way i dont have to worry about matching, plus i can eliminate all rock chips and scratches. how much do you think a job like would cost me. i got a quote of 3k thats with installin the body kit grill and spoiler from the lexus dealer. thanks
rick
Are you changing the color?? Because that's cheap..
Old 01-28-04, 12:08 AM
hawk
Driver

i'm gonna chime in here....

1) i've never heard of an aftermarket paint job being as good as the factory job

2) in my limited understanding of the car market, i believe that cars with non-original paint jobs have lower resale values.

just thought i'd put that out there in case it's of help in making any decisions. these are things that i'm pretty sure of, but you should get actual confirmation of elsewhere

-hawk
Old 01-28-04, 02:50 AM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

hey guys ,
rick
Like Sypher said that is really cheap to have your entire car painted. My friend that had his S14 repainted cost him 5k to paint the entire car. thats including the engine bay as well.. is the dealer also repainting the engine bay? as far as body kit goes i think it should run you around 1500 to have it painted and installed..it may be alittle more if they have to do some adjustments for the kit to fit. that was the price i got from a good body shop..
Old 01-28-04, 11:22 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Angry

I wasnt expecting to be paying around 1500 to paint iand install the RMM kit. Sheesh, thats more than I expected. That cost is as much as the kit alone. "DWP love to hate."
Old 01-28-04, 11:49 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

WOW 3 k! my kit cost 1800 painted/installed, and just cause they r a lexus paint shop make sure they actually do good work. when i had my TL i went to a acura body shop and wow was the paint screwed up.. over spray.. etc... good luck.
Old 01-28-04, 09:04 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lettuce
I wasnt expecting to be paying around 1500 to paint iand install the RMM kit. Sheesh, thats more than I expected. That cost is as much as the kit alone. "DWP love to hate."
You can find shops to do it cheaper for around $1,000, but make sure you see work that they did before you let them touch your car..
Old 01-28-04, 09:10 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

i want to get the whole car paintedd, do you think it would be cheaper to change the color, i like that gs that sp has (you know the twin turbo one that someone posted here ), i beleive it s bmw m3 paint... what color you think would look good on it?
Old 01-28-04, 09:21 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

i want to get the whole car paintedd, do you think it would be cheaper to change the color, i like that gs that sp has (you know the twin turbo one that someone posted here ), i beleive it s bmw m3 paint... what color you think would look good on it?
If you change the color you better make sure they paint the enginebay and all door sills and trunks sill too.. Some shops will try to get out of painting those and then try to charge you a crazy amount to paint them afterward...