GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

RMM or L-SPORTLINE bumper with L-tuned exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-04, 07:25 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMM or L-SPORTLINE bumper with L-tuned exhaust

I am trying to decide what to do with my body kit options. I have a brand new L-tuned aero kit and TTE Lip waiting to be installed. I cannot make up my mind however with the back of the car. I have a black on black GS400 and I was planning to add the JDM add on rear apron, but for $600 I figure I may as well get a bumper. I also have the L-tuned exhaust so I understand through reading all the posts on this subject that I would have to modify my exhaust for the L-sportsline bumper. I am also considering now buying the RMM full kit as a private seller indicated that I would not require to modify my exhaust at all with the RMM bumper (Is this true?)

My question is , does anybody have the L-tuned exhaust with either of these two bumpers that could post pics or reply to my post. I am leaning towards the L-sportline as I love the combination with the aero kit and TTE lip. On the other hand I also like the idea of not modifying my exhaust. If anybody with the RMM rear bumper and L-tuned exhaust could set me straight, I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-25-04, 08:29 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I think this car had Ltuned exhaust when the pic was taken, it has HKS now though

Old 01-25-04, 09:08 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will probably need to modify the exhaust with the RMM bumper too. Sorry I don't have pics but I am extrapolating. GSTrance has the RMM exhaust with the L-Sportline bumper and it runs pretty flush with the bumper. The L-Sportline exhaust actually extends beyond the L-Sportline bumper. You can see this on gsintensive's or kyle3841's (or whatever that number is, I can never remember) car. The L-Tuned (I think) is really meant for the stock bumper. The RMM exhaust is pretty flush witht he RMM bumper also. You can see this on RMMGS4's car.

From all this and the pic above of the L-Tuned in the L-Sportline bumper, I would think the L-Tuned in the RMM bumper would look similar.

Not that it does not exist, but I just don't remember seeing the RMM bumper/L-Tuned exhaust combo. Someone with that pic would be perfect. Sorry I don't have time right now to track down all the pics I talked about above.

For your sake, I hope someone proves me wrong. If not, from the info above, I would have to conclude that you will need to modify (lengthen) the exhaust tip end regardless of the RMM or L-Sportline.
Old 01-25-04, 11:26 PM
Neo
The One

Found some pics:

GSTrance's RMM exhaust with L-Sportline:

kyle3481's L-Sportline exhaust with L-Sportline bumper:

BananaGS's RMM exhaust with RMM bumper:
Old 01-26-04, 03:44 AM
SPORTS
Driver

Originally posted by DGOT20s
I think this car had Ltuned exhaust when the pic was taken, it has HKS now though

Thanks for this pic. This definitely looks sunken in too much. Do you know whose car that is? I would fire them a PM. I am not keen about lengthening the tips because I am not sure how that would affect the function of the exhaust.

NEO thanks for all the effort. I have seen all those pics. I definitely like the RMM exhaust with the L-sportline bumper but I don't really feel like trying to sell my exhaust and reinvesting in the RMM one. (I have heard however that the RMM exhaust doesn't have that drone associated with my L-tuned one - Is this true?)
Old 01-26-04, 03:49 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by SPORTS
(I have heard however that the RMM exhaust doesn't have that drone associated with my L-tuned one - Is this true?)
I have not been in a car with the L-Tuned so I am not sure how bad the drone is. The L-Tuned does have a deeper presence to it though from the samples I have heard. I have sat in RMMGS4's car and it is pretty quiet. But then again, I don't think it is as loud or as deep as the L-Tuned.

My car is a GS300 so I will not know the behavior until I install it. There are exhausts that don't have that much drone on the 400s but will have one on the 300s.
Old 01-26-04, 06:05 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by SPORTS
Thanks for this pic. This definitely looks sunken in too much. Do you know whose car that is? I would fire them a PM.
The person that the car belongs to is jcramair1, he can probably answer most of your questions!
Old 01-27-04, 04:03 AM
SPORTS
Driver

Originally posted by DGOT20s
The person that the car belongs to is jcramair1, he can probably answer most of your questions!
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the help. I will PM jcramair1 and I think it will help with my decision.
Old 01-27-04, 10:25 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Neo
I have not been in a car with the L-Tuned so I am not sure how bad the drone is. The L-Tuned does have a deeper presence to it though from the samples I have heard. I have sat in RMMGS4's car and it is pretty quiet. But then again, I don't think it is as loud or as deep as the L-Tuned.

My car is a GS300 so I will not know the behavior until I install it. There are exhausts that don't have that much drone on the 400s but will have one on the 300s.
I just got the ltuned exhaust and I like the drone the exhaust is quiet so quiet that if the drone wasnt there it would be as if i didnt even get an exhaust the drone goes up and down as you drive and if you ease upon the peddle while cruzin you wont hear the drone you just gotta get used to it all the sound dencening is not need for this exhaust(i dont think i spelled that right)
Old 01-27-04, 03:38 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Originally posted by LEXISM
I just got the ltuned exhaust and I like the drone the exhaust is quiet so quiet that if the drone wasnt there it would be as if i didnt even get an exhaust the drone goes up and down as you drive and if you ease upon the peddle while cruzin you wont hear the drone you just gotta get used to it all the sound dencening is not need for this exhaust(i dont think i spelled that right)
The "drone" topic has been discussed at great length on these threads. Without getting off topic I think it is personal opinion with regards to what one likes or dislikes about any exhaust. I love the way it looks, the way it sounds on start up and at WOT but I find it very annoying between 1800 and 2000rpm's. I have had it for over a year and I still feel the same way. The only way that I would consider changing the exhaust would be if it was impossible to make it look good with an aftermarket bumper and perhaps another exhaust had similair characteristics without "THE DRONE".
Old 10-10-23, 02:07 PM
chg15
1st Gear

Hey Neo, I know im 22 years late but im hoping you see this. Is the L-Sportline exhaust just the Mufflers or the y pipe and the mufflers?