GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2 Oxygen sensors out...No new ones being made??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 04:03 PM
jamesbl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Oxygen sensors out...No new ones being made??

Hi everyone,

I've got a 2001 GS430 and my check engine light came on , so, of course, I took my vehicle in to my dealership, who diagnosed TWO oxygen sensors as being the problem.

After some checking, a few days later the dealership called me and said they would have to "get one from their warehouse" as no dealerships had them in stock. He then called again later and said no warehouses had them either, so they'd have to wait until the stock got replenished. That was last Thursday (1/22).

Today I get a call saying that Lexus is not even MAKING these oxygen sensors any longer, so he suspects they are redesigning it. Bottom line is he said it would be approximately Feb 14th or later before they can fix this problem.

The part numbers he gave me are 89465-50120 and 89465-50130. Attached picture shows the two they're telling me are bad:

Has anyone heard this and can anyone confirm? This is not very reassuring at all!

Thanks,

-jb
Attached Thumbnails 2 Oxygen sensors out...No new ones being made??-o2sensors.jpg  
Old 01-26-04, 04:05 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Seems strange to have both go out so soon. How many miles do you have on the car? Ever run race fuel?
Old 01-26-04, 04:08 PM
jamesbl
Driver School Candidate

48k miles. I've only ever run 93 octane since the first mile. I've had one or two tanks of crappy gas but other than that everything's been fine. I also have the Weapon-R intake, fwiw.

-jb
Old 01-26-04, 06:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's very strange. i don't know if the o2 sensor is different between gs400 and gs430 (very likely) but i just got a new o2 sensor not too long ago
Old 01-26-04, 06:36 PM
Drukinfoolio
Pole Position

The dealer you went to is corrrect.
I just went into Toyota/Lexus Dealer Daily, it does show that 146 of part number 89465-50120
is on back order. And part number 89465-50130, 91 of them are on back order.
The good news is that they are in transit (go to dealer that are ordering them).
Old 01-26-04, 08:01 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work on Lexus vehicles for a long time and never see two O2 sensor goes out at one time. But it's still under warranty, why not? What code is it?
JPI
Old 01-27-04, 08:12 AM
jamesbl
Driver School Candidate

The code they gave me was P0135-B151. What does this tell you guys? Since I'm now operating with CEL on, how bad is my mileage going to suck? It will be driven this way for a minimum of two weeks.

Thanks again,

-jb
Old 01-27-04, 08:29 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Very very strange to hear of an O2 sensor going out on a Lexus that early on. Especially two at the same time. There had to be some sort of glitch that caused it.

I'm curious as to how much approximately an O2 sensor costs for a GS?

Look at the bright side... at least if they're redesigning it, you are probably getting a new improved version that will give you better reliability and maybe even better performance?

Originally posted by jamesbl
The code they gave me was P0135-B151. What does this tell you guys? Since I'm now operating with CEL on, how bad is my mileage going to suck? It will be driven this way for a minimum of two weeks.

Thanks again,

-jb
When I had one or more O2 sensors go bad on my 95 Maxima I actually got significantly better gas milage, but much worse performance.

It was a V6 with a 5-speed manual rated for something like 23 city 27 highway, but I was getting around 33MPG with 75% highway and 25% city driving and a somewhat heavy foot!

See, when an O2 sensor goes bad your emissions system goes into open loop mode which basically causes the ECU to make certain assumptions as to how much fuel to use in the combustion chamber. Most cars make the assumption to run lean as this is less detramental to the car's health and emissions (unless you're running forced induction or something).
Old 01-27-04, 09:03 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Default o2 sensor

By the way what is Lexus charging for the O2 sensor? I'm surprised that Bosch doesn't make a sensor for the Lexus since they make a ton of them for all kinds of applications.

rominl,what did your cost you?

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 09-20-06 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-27-04, 09:07 AM
jamesbl
Driver School Candidate

I understood that once the CEL was on, the system would go into a closed loop (some call it a "safe mode") operation and did not accept input from any sensors, but instead relied on a preset list of calculations, which almost always resulted in lower gas mileage ? Who knows the final word on this?

Thanks again,

-jb
Old 01-27-04, 11:49 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I understood that once the CEL was on, the system would go into a closed loop (some call it a "safe mode") operation and did not accept input from any sensors, but instead relied on a preset list of calculations, which almost always resulted in lower gas mileage ? Who knows the final word on this?

Thanks again,

-jb
Sorry... I got dislexic with the term... yes, closed loop is correct. Read what I wrote above but replace 'open' with 'closed'.

I don't know what's typical but as I said, on my Maxima, my milage got much better once the O2 sensor went bad... same exact thing happened with my friend's Dodge Neon. But the performance on our cars both suffered very noticably.
Old 01-28-04, 10:28 PM
jamesbl
Driver School Candidate

Hey JPI, what does the code P0135-B151 tell you?

-jb
Old 01-29-04, 12:24 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

-jb
The first part I can decode from the Lexus manual, it's the following:

DTC P0135 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Trouble areas to check:

* Open or short in heater circuit of heated oxygen sensor
* Heated oxygen sensor heater
*ECM

It's probably the O2 sensor itself, so you should be fine after replacement.

However, as for the second part of the code, I don't know what that is.
Old 01-29-04, 06:57 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the late respone.
P0135 is the Bank 1 sensor 1, Which is the one on the passenger side. To check for this you will need A voltmeter or A toyota Diagnostic scan. Once you have the scan tool hook up, The scanne will provide all the readings. Your passenger A/F sensor fail I know for the fact.
What is the B151 code? Are you sure it is the right one? Not unless you mean P0151. Let me know if you need any further assitance. Have a great day.
JPI

-jb
Old 09-19-06, 05:14 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

I'm sorry guys, knowing this is a super old thread but I'm facing this very same issue and want to follow up with you guys...

What did you ultimately do to fix it? Cost? How do I know which one broke? Where to get the parts? Can local Mechanic do this job without deep/extensive Lexus knowledge? What about the "sensor" which is under the carpet... what is that one? How do you know if it broke? This will help me to decide to go to the dealer or have my mechanic does the job!

Thank you,

chuck

Quick Reply: 2 Oxygen sensors out...No new ones being made??