GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Clunking sound over bumps from front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 05:11 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Yea, I'm not too impressed with the reliability/build quality on my GS that's for sure. I will say that now that my engine tick is fixed, I like the car a lot better.

My knocking was fixed by lubing the upper mounts - at least that's what I think it was. Tim, if they can't figure it out, have them call Arlington Lexus in Palatine IL and talk to the service manager - reference me (oh and they know me alright) and they can tell your guy exactly what was done.
Why was your GS430 engine ticking, Doug?
Old 02-06-05, 09:46 AM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think I can finally put this to rest. Clunking fixed by replacing entire spring/shock/strut assemblies both sides. Squeaking/scrunching sound finally ID'd to the sway bar pillow bushings. Quiet as a mouse now.
Old 02-12-05, 01:31 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

One of mine was replaced at 3 months. I'm starting to think our two cars were made ont the same day!
Old 02-14-05, 02:19 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I had the stabilizer tsb done today. they said bolts were loose
Old 02-14-05, 03:28 PM
BklynGS
Driver

I having a similar problem as some of you described with my 2001 GS300. I get a knocking (sometimes rattle) sound from the front end when I go over small bumps, I'm almost sure its coming from the right side. The funny thing is that it only happens when its cold outside, anything over 70 degrees and the sound is totally gone. Did anyone have the same problem, or or does anyone know what the problem could be? From what i read I'm gonna get the sway bar and ball joints checked. Thanks in advance
Old 02-14-05, 03:50 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BklynGS
I having a similar problem as some of you described with my 2001 GS300. I get a knocking (sometimes rattle) sound from the front end when I go over small bumps, I'm almost sure its coming from the right side. The funny thing is that it only happens when its cold outside, anything over 70 degrees and the sound is totally gone. Did anyone have the same problem, or or does anyone know what the problem could be? From what i read I'm gonna get the sway bar and ball joints checked. Thanks in advance
Yes, mine was that the upper mount needed to be lubed or something like that. This was after my entire strut was replaced several months earlier.
Old 02-14-05, 04:00 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

this is exactly what I'm experiencing lately.

good to know now.
Old 02-14-05, 04:28 PM
BklynGS
Driver

Yes, mine was that the upper mount needed to be lubed or something like that. This was after my entire strut was replaced several months earlier.
Thanks doug999... I've had my suspension changed to H&R and Bilstein shocks, and i still get that clunking sound over bumps.... i also notice that as the car warms up from being driven, the clunking tends to go away a little or get quieter. Did the same thing happen with you? If this was the same problem as yours, and if it is the upper mount.... you have no idea how much i will appreciate your help... this noise is driving me crazy for 2 winters now and the dealer is no help at all.
Old 02-15-05, 10:52 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BklynGS
Thanks doug999... I've had my suspension changed to H&R and Bilstein shocks, and i still get that clunking sound over bumps.... i also notice that as the car warms up from being driven, the clunking tends to go away a little or get quieter. Did the same thing happen with you? If this was the same problem as yours, and if it is the upper mount.... you have no idea how much i will appreciate your help... this noise is driving me crazy for 2 winters now and the dealer is no help at all.
Yes, mine was only occuring in the winter months. The problem was that I never got a service ticket so I'm not sure exactly what they fixed. If you are interested, I will give the dealer a call and find out exactly what the repair order said.
Old 02-15-05, 01:58 PM
BklynGS
Driver

Yes, mine was only occuring in the winter months. The problem was that I never got a service ticket so I'm not sure exactly what they fixed. If you are interested, I will give the dealer a call and find out exactly what the repair order said.
I'm actually bringing the car to my shop this Saturday ( needs an inspection anyway) , im gonna tell them to check out the noise and what you said it was. If they can't fix it, i'll get back to you on that offer. Thanks a lot.. appreciate the help.
Old 07-20-06, 06:02 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my clunking diagnosed to be the sway bar link. Could someone confirm that the first number listed on the diagram in post #14 of this thread is the torque to tighten the bolt to?

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-20-06, 06:12 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...iew/131/1/148/
Old 07-20-06, 07:58 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Chuck, but the numbers for torque shown on the TSB don't match any of the numbers on the corresponding bolts that are shown in the previous post (#14).

I'm trying to get the torque specs for the link bolts. Any ideas on tnat spec?
Old 07-21-06, 03:41 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STONER
Thanks Chuck, but the numbers for torque shown on the TSB don't match any of the numbers on the corresponding bolts that are shown in the previous post (#14).

How about this Stoner? I used these when I did my Daizen sway bar bushings.

Old 07-21-06, 04:30 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STONER

I have my service manuals around here somewhere if you want me to dig them out, just let me know.

Quick Reply: Clunking sound over bumps from front end