GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dealer visit for moisture in headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 02:58 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer visit for moisture in headlamps

Well the old miosture in the headlamp housing on 99 GS. I took my car into the service department today for moisture in the headlamps. After about 2 hours of waiting, I was told told that moisture in the Headlamps is normal by Lexus. I called Lexus Extra Care and I was told they will only replace the headlamps if there is STANDING WATER in the lamps. This is crazy, Lexus stance on the issue is that moisture is normal. It appear as though Lexus is trying to squeeze out of the problem.
Sounds like I'm in for a battle.
Old 02-02-04, 03:34 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Typical reply by Lexus....What ever happened to Great Customer Service?

If I was you....I'd be removing my bulbs..... and reaching for the garden hose.....fill both sides a bit (about 1/8")....put back both bulbs....and drive to dealer ASAP! LOL!!!

Better yet...boil some water and use that instead of the garden hose....that'll steam things up!!

Last edited by PHML; 02-02-04 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 04:58 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down water in headlight

it is not normal, it is a design flaw, it is not safe it interfers with the light dispersal.

it is also something that people who see it cannot believe. i really don't care for people at work to be laughing at my headlights. i got mine replaced last year when i bought my 99gs400 in march. the dealer paid for one and i paid for the other at dealer cost. they said the warrenty had expired. i think looking back i should have held out for them to pay for both and they would have done it to get the sale.

hameed wrote to lexus and got lexus to replace both of his. find his thread or pm him for info on how he did it. it took him quite a bit of effort. and there is a correct way to do it. do not accept what you have heard already.

the first lexus i test drove, a certified 2001 gs430 had both headlights full of condensation and the sales guy acted like it was normal. thanks to club lexus i knew not to accept that as normal. i did not buy that car for that and some other reasons.

i still have trouble believing that lexus puts out a headlight that does this and then has the ***** to ***** on its customers. big thumbs down on lexus customers service on ths one.

it does not help lexus sell cars

Last edited by 3dog; 02-02-04 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 05:56 PM
hawk
Driver

find yourself a new dealer.....here's a link to the "elite" dealers listed on the lex website.....it's worth a shot to see if another dealer might fix you up

http://www.lexus.com/dealers/eol.html

the dealer i use also owns germain lexus of naples down there in florida, so you might wanna try them out. however, as i recall this was listed as a warrantable repair when i took my car in for this.....so in a 99, you might be out of luck unless you do what hameed did, which was to write to lexus with links to complaints about moisture in headlights threads here on CL (i think that's what he did, right?). and as i recall, lex replaced those headlights even though hameed's warranty expired

btw, those hid lamps cost about $800 each.....
Old 02-02-04, 06:34 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I HAVE THE BEST RESULTS WHEN I CALL LEXUS CUSTOMER SERVICE

Hello,
Since I took delivery of my 99 GS4 in November 03, I get the best results by going to Lexus Customer Service. I have called them twice...once for the headlamps (both were replaced free of charge), and once for the digital display on the Pioneer Radio. I wanted them to pay for the repair of the radio display, and they did me one better...they authorized the full replacement of the $600.00 radio with no fuss whatsoever.

My car has 80 + thousand miles, and they did it under "Customer Satisfaction". No yelling or screaming required....(at least not in my cases). They also asked me to call back if anything else comes up. THAT'S SERVICE.

Call 1(800) 255-3987 AND OH!!......Be NICE! They appreciate it more when you are courteous. Makes it harder for them to say no! A discourteous caller runs the risk of being told "NO" very easily.

GSEREP1

Last edited by gserep1; 02-02-04 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 06:37 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe this is under 4-year basic warranty. I had one of the two headlamps replaced under basic warranty last year.
Old 02-02-04, 06:42 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: I HAVE THE BEST RESULTS WHEN I CALL LEXUS CUSTOMER SERVICE

Originally posted by gserep1
Call 1(800) 255-3987 AND OH!!......Be NICE! They appreciate it more when you are courteous. Makes it harder for them to say no! A discourteous caller runs the risk of being told "NO" very easily.
GSEREP1
I second that. I was able to get a free navigation update after my basic warranty expired.
Old 02-03-04, 08:21 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I totally agree!! Just try to be courteous and stay calm.......
Old 02-03-04, 11:32 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Are these complaints in reference to the HID Lamp Assemblies? Is there a leakage issue with the enclosures?
Old 02-03-04, 12:04 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have noticed that their response is directly related to your usage of their service. Once I found this site, I've done a lot more on my own or at independent shops. When I asked for some out-of-warranty work, they even told me that I don't use Lexus service enough to warrant them to extend some consideration. Maybe for new owners of used cars, Lexus is more lenient to try to hook the owner into going to them for more service. I bought mine brand new back in 98 so i guess then can see I don't run to them for every oil change.

In my case, I tried to see if they will address the dash rattle and was denied. They even did not want to comp me the kit even though I volunteered to do the labor. I wanted to see what they did with the rattle before trying to do something about my radio LCD. I guess this is what I get for not spending the extra for their service maintenance. I usually only to do the "majors" at Lexus but after that, I skipped their 60k and went to an independent shop.

With any other manufacturer, I would have shrugged this off. I can see the "fairness" of their decision since I don't use their service enough for them to reciprocate. Still, this is Lexus and I expected more.
Old 02-03-04, 12:15 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Hi, read this forum, and see what the rest of us had to do with this issue. I was just out of the warranty...not by mileage, but by time period. You can see what happend...

Moisture

and here is the letter that has been submitted

Letter and other info

Last edited by koreanpers; 02-03-04 at 12:15 PM.