GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why are many factory spoilers I see angled slightly backward?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 06:09 PM
AWay
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are many factory spoilers I see angled slightly backward?

Have you ever noticed in side profile pics of someones car with a OEM spoiler who is looks like it's angled backward (or upward) slightly? It's like it doesn't lay flat on the trunk lid. More specifically, the front screw of the 2 screws that go into the lid has more space between the trunk and the spoiler than the rear.

I've seen this quite a few times and then checked out my car yesterday and damned if mine isn't angled too! What's going on here?

Has anyone done anything to remedy this, (or even notice?) and if so, how?

Sorry if this sounds very confusing, but you probably have an idea of what I mean. I wish i had a pic to show you....
Old 02-02-04, 06:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,421 Posts

There are at least three slightly different varieties of OEM spoilers you'll find on a GS.

Here's a pic of Dex's old blue and my rear spoiler, both added at the dealer (dealer option, but not from factory - we both had third brakelight on back deck which is how you can tell if you didn't buy new). His was a little longer off the back and swooped up slightly where mine is flat.

The third one goes further up the trunkline almost to the back window and lays even flatter / closer to the trunk than mine. I think this one is OEM from factory on 1998 GSs (likely others).

Is that difference what you mean?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-07-07 at 01:47 PM. Reason: fix image
Old 02-02-04, 06:30 PM
AWay
Rookie

Mine looks just like that blue one that "swoops up in the back" a little bit. However the angle of the entire spoiler (not just the swooped part) looks to be angled backward a little bit.

It's almost like if you could tighten up the front screw it would sit flush instead of angled backward.

It's so damn hard to explain, but I think you're onto it.
Old 02-02-04, 09:59 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dvae i think u got the better of the 3
Old 02-03-04, 08:19 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Dave slightly OT...what % tint is on the rear?
Old 02-03-04, 08:41 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Originally posted by Letsride
Dave slightly OT...what % tint is on the rear?
I've got 33% (total of 35% w/ factory) all the way around on both my GS and LS... max allowed by law in NC. The angle in that pic looks darker than it really is.
Old 02-03-04, 08:47 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
There are at least three slightly different varieties of OEM spoilers you'll find on a GS.

Here's a pic of Dex's old blue and my rear spoiler, both added at the dealer (dealer option, but not from factory - we both had third brakelight on back deck which is how you can tell if you didn't buy new). His was a little longer off the back and swooped up slightly where mine is flat.

The third one goes further up the trunkline almost to the back window and lays even flatter / closer to the trunk than mine. I think this one is OEM from factory on 1998 GSs (likely others).

Is that difference what you mean?
I could be mistaken (as I haven't seen it recently), but my sister's GS400 has a factory spoiler (i.e. it came on the car from the factory that way and it has no interior deck 3rd brake light) and I think it has a spoiler designed like the blue one. Further, I remember looking directly from the back of her car, the sides of the spoiler extended a little bit wider than the trunk line.

The black spoiler reminds me of my brother's Honda Accord's spoiler--flatter top wing foil (i.e. non-curved lip at the top rear of the spoiler) and the sides of it are flush with the trunk line.

Any other owners with spoilers want to comment on how theirs looks like? I was thinking of adding one sometime in the future (maybe in the summer) but would like to know what the real factory OEM design is.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 02-03-04 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 09:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
I could be mistaken (as I haven't seen it recently), but my sister's GS400 has a factory spoiler (i.e. it came on the car from the factory that way and it has no interior deck 3rd brake light) and I think it has a spoiler designed like the blue one. Further, I remember looking directly from the back of her car, the sides of the spoiler extended a little bit wider than the trunk line.

The black spoiler reminds me of my brother's Honda Accord's spoiler--flatter top wing foil (i.e. non-curved lip at the top rear of the spoiler) and the sides of it are flush with the trunk line.

Any other owners with spoilers want to comment on how theirs looks like? I was thinking of adding one sometime in the future (maybe in the summer) but would like to know what the real factory OEM design is.
I know I had a conversation with Mo at SRT back in 1999 about his GS vs mine and the differences in the spoiler. His is OEM from factory and the sides go further up the trunk. Couple of pictures linked below from the SRT website of his, perhaps other members with OEM Factory spoilers can take side shots of theirs.

Here's a picture of mine straight on from the back so you can see the width on the trunk line.

Old 02-03-04, 09:18 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Just browsing on Ebay and I found this one with a factory spoiler. See how the sides of the spoiler extend past the trunk line? The pic isn't good, but the rear lip of the spoiler looks like it's curving upwards--like SRT's factory spoiler.

I'll try to get an angled side shot to see if the rear lip does indeed curve upwards.
Attached Thumbnails Why are many factory spoilers I see angled slightly backward?-rear-back-spoiler.jpg  

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 02-03-04 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 09:21 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Here's an angled side shot. It does indeed look like it's curved upwards at the rear lip (esp. if you catch the right rear portion of it).

Any other owners with spoilers that came on the car direct from the factory want to comment?
Attached Thumbnails Why are many factory spoilers I see angled slightly backward?-quarter-rear-back-spoiler.jpg  

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 02-03-04 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 09:41 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Note quite the prettiest color for a Lexus GS, but here's another rear shot of the factory spoiler (you can tell, as there is no interior deck 3rd brake light).

The sides of the spoiler are definitely extending past the trunk lid by a little bit, almost meeting the top edge of the rear side fender (like the black spoiler above in the angled rear shot).

However, as for the existence the rear top foil curvature on this bronze spoiler, it can not be discerned from this angle.
Attached Thumbnails Why are many factory spoilers I see angled slightly backward?-1073163638412_360000gs4002.jpg  

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 02-03-04 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 09:50 AM
AWay
Rookie

Default ok, hold on

First off, my spoiler is definitely the one with the "flared" up rear portion, aka- the one that extends past the trunk lid a little bit, aka- the one that goes slightly further up the trunk toward the rear window.

However, while I find it interesting that there are 3 different styles of OEM spoilers, this isn't really what I was originally trying to distinguish.

What I'm saying is that the entire spoiler itself seems like it's mounted incorrectly and angles toward the rear of the car a little bit. (like the front part of the spoiler is up in the air a little bit)

Does anybody understand what I mean, because it's quite hard for me to describe...
Old 02-03-04, 10:03 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Default Re: ok, hold on

Originally posted by AWay
First off, my spoiler is definitely the one with the "flared" up rear portion, aka- the one that extends past the trunk lid a little bit, aka- the one that goes slightly further up the trunk toward the rear window.

However, while I find it interesting that there are 3 different styles of OEM spoilers, this isn't really what I was originally trying to distinguish.

What I'm saying is that the entire spoiler itself seems like it's mounted incorrectly and angles toward the rear of the car a little bit. (like the front part of the spoiler is up in the air a little bit)

Does anybody understand what I mean, because it's quite hard for me to describe...
Are you referencing how the factory spoiler is mounted onto the trunklid? I've noticed that the factory spoilers that came originally w/ the car are mounted flush to the rear of the trunk, and that the front of the spoiler (about 3-4") is not even touching the trunk lid--much like SRT's factory spoiler.
Attached Thumbnails Why are many factory spoilers I see angled slightly backward?-ext3.jpg  
Old 02-03-04, 10:08 AM
AWay
Rookie

Default Re: Re: ok, hold on

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
Are you referencing how the factory spoiler is mounted onto the trunklid? I've noticed that the factory spoilers that came originally w/ the car are mounted flush to the rear of the trunk, and that the front of the spoiler (about 3-4") is not even touching the trunk lid--much like SRT's factory spoiler.
Ding ding ding! You got it. Yeah, that's what i mean, the mounting of the spoiler. Mine was added on by my dealer about a week after delivery and is mounted in this angled fashion. Weird. I was wondering if there was any way to remedy this? Perhaps put some more rubber or a bigger grommet in the rear of the spoiler as to even it out?

Atleast you know what i mean now.
Old 02-03-04, 10:14 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Default Re: Re: Re: ok, hold on

Originally posted by AWay
Ding ding ding! You got it. Yeah, that's what i mean, the mounting of the spoiler. Mine was added on by my dealer about a week after delivery and is mounted in this angled fashion. Weird. I was wondering if there was any way to remedy this? Perhaps put some more rubber or a bigger grommet in the rear of the spoiler as to even it out?

Atleast you know what i mean now.
Unfortunately, the factory spoiler is designed to have the front of it not touching the trunk lid (maybe for aerodynamics sake)--it's not a defect, just the design. If you look at the front parts of the spoiler that's not touching the rear trunk, it is (or should be) parallel to the plane of the trunk.

Nonetheless, I'm sure that you could make some mods to it to get it fully flush to the trunk lid, but in the end, it's probably best just to leave it for durability's sake. Alternatively, you could get another style spoiler that is fully flush (front to back) and install that instead.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 02-03-04 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Why are many factory spoilers I see angled slightly backward?