GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

"There may be a little snow up there"

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 06:50 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would feel saver walking up that road after experiencing the GS in 1 cm of snow a couple of weeks back.
Old 02-11-04, 08:09 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which blizzaks do you have? i have the lm-22. check this forum thread i started last week..w/ ppls snow pix

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=anyone+beat
Old 02-11-04, 10:59 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Awesome pics, that looks like fun. I am used to driving in the snow so I enjoy it. Be safe though.
Old 02-11-04, 01:34 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies. The drive actually wasn't that bad. There were alot of sharp, short, corners so I turned off the traction control and played rally driver for a while. I didn't come across another car in either direction on the way up. The car doesn't handle that bad in the snow and is quite predictable. All in all it was a damn fun drive! And the Greddy exhaust makes a nice sound when you're driving up a thin road with 6' snowbanks on each side. Kind of like a little echo chamber!

Koreanpers - I've been reading your thread with the snow photos. That's what gave me the idea to take a few photos while I was up there.
Old 02-11-04, 07:12 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default gs in snow

Originally posted by GS4fun
I can't believe you took a rear wheel drive vehicle known to be horrible in the snow on a mountain that has 6 foot of snow dropped on it.

You are CRAZY man!
contrary to what i keep hearing on club lexus, the gs400 goes real well in the snow. this was my first winter with my lexus and my wife has one to. what it needs is snow tires and it works real good.

i put the blizzak ws-50 on both of our cars just before the worst snow and ice since 1996. we live on a hill that is steep enough for people to ride those plastic things down the hill, which is a good block long, and probably gains at least 100 feet elevation from bottom to the top. i went up that hill when it wasa sheet of ice and i went up that hill when it had 3-4 inches of new snow (and still snowing hard) on it. in both circumstances the car did great. i went out the night everything was a sheet of ice like a hockey rink and enjoyed driving around. the blizzak ws-50's eat ice for breakfast lunch and dinner. i live in an area with very steep hills and did not get stuck once. i think driving in the snow is a blast i wish we had snow more so i could spin doughnuts in the parking lots more often, god that is fun.

if you look at the pictures carefully you will see that the 6 feet of snow is on the side of the road. the road he is on has packed down snow that the blizzaks would handle without a care. these are the conditions that these tires love. i think they are actually better on snow and ice than on dry or wet.

please it is not the car. these cars are great in the snow if you put the proper tires on them.

if you want to try going with stock tires you are asking for trouble.
you can buy these blizzaks for $111 a tire. cheap insurance. they will keep you on the road and out of the ditch, and that will keep your car out of the body shop.

you guys spend countless thousands of dollars on mods. but a little over $400 for some snow tires seems like more than some of you can afford. come on you drive expensive cars don't cheap out on snow tires and then say the car is horible in the snow, because it is not true.

ivesGS400
The car doesn't handle that bad in the snow and is quite predictable. All in all it was a damn fun drive!

And the Greddy exhaust makes a nice sound when you're driving up a thin road with 6' snowbanks on each side. Kind of like a little echo chamber!

ives
both our cars have the greddy evo exhaust. god i love that sound. just this week an older guy in his 60's heard me come roaring into the parking lot (between 2 warehouses) and he said has your car always sounded that good?

sorry if i offended anyone i just get tired of hearing these are are bad in the snow. my experience and obviously ivesgs400 doesn't bear that out, in fact the contrary is what i have found.

Last edited by 3dog; 02-11-04 at 07:13 PM.