GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

dealer can't figure out this problem, says to change engine!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-04, 08:22 AM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Letsride
Did they pull any codes for you?
nope...
i didn't go to the dealership with her.
i would've asked... but the service guys sound incompetent.
Old 02-13-04, 08:32 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Take the car to like an Auto Zone and have them pull the codes for you. That will make troubleshooting easier...
Old 02-13-04, 09:43 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default lights, service

Hi. The com=bination of warning lights that you have is consistent with what people here describe when one or both O2 sensors fail. I would go to auto zone as others suggested and pull the codes. I am guessing it is the O2 sensors, though.

As far as the dealer is concerned, these guys have milked the service issue and they have been paid, but didn't fix the problem. I would report this to Lexus customer service. It is not acceptable. Also, you may want to check with VVTi on your problem as I believe he is a Lexus tech.
Old 02-13-04, 12:50 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Dont know if this helps but my brother in law had the same problem with the check engine light , VSC etc come on and Lexus of Tampa replaced his throttle body. They claim there is a campain on the throttle motor. You may want to check that route? Nevertheless his car was a CPO so he did not have any expenses. Good Luck!
Old 02-13-04, 05:32 PM
MovieTime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may be this is too late but i would go get the brake fluid flushed out
Old 02-13-04, 06:10 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by alwilliams
Dont know if this helps but my brother in law had the same problem with the check engine light , VSC etc come on and Lexus of Tampa replaced his throttle body. They claim there is a campain on the throttle motor. You may want to check that route? Nevertheless his car was a CPO so he did not have any expenses. Good Luck!
I replace the new throttle body and still had the problem went back to check for the codes and it was the last coil to your right ( drivers side ) it was # 15 or 18 in that little computer they have ,they plug it in inside the car (bottom) steering colum. first thats what they were doing just clearing out the codes but it kept coming back till that part was change Im not saying thats your problem but from been there with same problem car was running good than the lights keep coming on vsc ,vsc off, abs ect and the car run with no problems turn off your car wait for a while start the car lights are off till later that came back on again.

Last edited by angelslex; 02-14-04 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-14-04, 12:55 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I hit a curb and bent my lower control arm, front sway bar end, broke the stabilizer bar, and bent something else I started to have this problem. I got everything fixed and the VSC VSC OFF and ABS light came on about a week after everything was fixed. I took it to the dealer and my problem is the front driver side shock is slightly bent as well as my upper control arm. Since I am buying coilovers and waiting for Daizen to release the polyurethane control arm bushings I haven't been to eager to get it fixed yet. Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-04, 05:20 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's stop guessing. This is what I need you to do. Take your lexus to autozone, Have them scan the codes. Get the codes, Come back here and Tell me the codes. There could be a million things go wrong with this car. VVT-i sensor? lol.....Which dealership did you take to? They need to take the car back and fix it right. I'm sure there are some Lexus Mater tech in that dealership.
JPI
Old 02-14-04, 10:57 PM
tech237
Rookie

try 1-800 -24- lexus I think its listed in the back of your owners manual also......get Lexus corporate involved...that whole situation is wrong...
Old 02-15-04, 06:45 PM
FRCFED4

Hello everyone this is my first post here, so its nice to meet you all.

The dealer that you took the car to should have a detailed documentation on the repair they've done to the car, I would take that and contact the Lexus district rep. and get them involved in this. Alot of times the engine light will come on after recording fault codes in its memory and trigger the vsc light to come on as a fail safe mode. the most important thing is to get the codes from both ecus and see. I've not heard of VVT-i sensor went bad ( i dont even think there is one) Theres a oil control valve and cam sensors thats about it. it just dont sound right from the start especially froma Lexus dealer... anyway i hope you can get this resolved as soon as it can... good luck.

Billy
Old 02-15-04, 06:53 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by JPI
Let's stop guessing. This is what I need you to do. Take your lexus to autozone, Have them scan the codes. Get the codes, Come back here and Tell me the codes. There could be a million things go wrong with this car. VVT-i sensor? lol.....Which dealership did you take to? They need to take the car back and fix it right. I'm sure there are some Lexus Mater tech in that dealership.
JPI
JPI this is what I said from the beginning Guessing is not going to solve this problem.....
Old 02-16-04, 07:02 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with those that say you need to go to another dealer and get the codes scanned. Just some quick info I hope helps... the VSC and ABS read info from a sensor at each wheel. If one of these gets bunged up even a little, it throws off the computer which throws the codes and trips the lights. Bottom line is I've seen this same exact situation several times, and it (should be) very easy to fix. Best of luck.
Old 02-16-04, 02:57 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

TerryTCL,

I visited Woodfield Lexus, the dealer in question, and I talked to the service rep I always deal with. He told me that he remembers a different rep talking to him about your girlfriend's GS. From his view the engine has a lot of sludge and because of it the sensors don't register properly. They cleaned some of them, but as you know the codes came back. He also said that the person that your girlfriend bought the car from didn't care for it, and didn't change the oil. Because of it, the luck of maintenance, the engine has a lot of sludge.
In this light, I would recommend using Auto RX. Check the recommendation for the engines over 100,000. This should help you with the sludge, should clean the sensors so they register properly.

Last edited by ChrisK; 02-16-04 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 06:06 PM
FRCFED4

I agree with ChrisK but you should still retrieve codes from both ecu and see if its the same codes as last time, other alternative is to buy some type of engine cleaner. suggestion is Chevron (i think) makes a type of motor flush that you put in the motor and run it for 20 minutes ( i would do it a cople of times) it suppose to help the soften of the sludge build up and wash it out. the alternative will be to take apart the top of the engine and De-sludge it and to lower the oil pan to finish the cleaning.

Billy