GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TRD chasis braces

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-01, 10:31 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that TurboIS hacked his car because he took off his engine cover...
Old 04-08-01, 10:09 PM
kodai
Driver

You may not want to agree, but you know it's ture. I am only sugesting that a peolpe buy parts that fit correctly. I don't understand how anyone can disagree with that. As far as my opinion, we are not driving sports cars we are driving luxry cars. My final note. Just buy parts that FIT. This is also the last I will write on this topic.

Black IS 300: No hard fellings
Old 04-08-01, 10:38 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by kodai
You may not want to agree, but you know it's ture.

I dont agree, and I know its not true.

Thanks for letting me have my opinion
Old 04-08-01, 11:06 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kodai, I have to agree with Black_IS300. I don't like to "hack" up my GS either (which is why the stock sound system is staying in...at least it's a Mark Lev system), but the Engine cover is completely pointless.

I took mine off to put on my TRD STB and I don't regret it one bit. How could I? The STB makes SUCH A HUGH difference in handling, it would be stupid NOT to put one on (especially at around $200 and about 5 minutes worth of installation.)

The engine cover (on the 2001 GS430) comes off with 2 nuts...and I hardly think it's mauling your car to take off a useless engine cover. It's only there for looks (I asked SEVERAL Lexus tech guys and they said it's a useless part and just put on to "dress up" the engine bay).

If TRD or someone else makes one to fit on the GS430 w/o moving the engine cover (which may be possible now if you use a "flat" type STB and put a few of those "risers" under it), I will buy it and sell my "old" TRD STB. It's only $200. I bought a car that stickers for $57,000. If I can't afford $400 worth of parts, then I should be driving something else....but for the mean time, the TRD STB minus the engine cover is WELL worth it.

And Kodai by adding the rear STB (which doesn't do nearly as much as the front STB), you PERMANETLY modified the trunk liner. If you wanted to put the car back to stock, you'd have to buy a new liner. The front STB, all you have to do is bolt the engine cover back on.

Anyways, that rear STB is pretty nice. I opted for the Ukyo Katayama UGO carbon fiber rear STB instead...I wish TRD made one. I'd prefer to have all TRB bars if possible...oh well.

Kodai, was it hard to "guesstimate" where the holes would go? I've done this mod in my previous cars and it took some guessing to get the hole in the right place..
Old 04-09-01, 02:11 PM
GSAristo
Driver

Question

Hi Kodai,

Can you please do me a favor and take some distance measurements for me?

1) from the rear deck down to the stb
2) from the bottom floor of raised trunk area to the stb
3) from the trunktrim behind the rear seat to the stb

The reason I ask is that I wanna make sure there's enough clearance all arround the rear stb and my amps and sub. If it fits, then I'll go ahead and order one from SupraTRD.

Thanks,
Old 04-09-01, 02:37 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I have to agree with Black, i feel that if you want more performance, than looks than go for it and take off the cover. The cover is like chrome on a car, looks good but serves no real purpose. As for your quote about jumping from a Honda to a Lexus. C'mon don't be so narrow minded and categorize people for their opininion. I am a car enthusiast as well. Yes I did work on Honda's, 650HP to the wheel drag car, and many other 300hp plus cars. I don't think that taking something off the car that is easily removed is called hacking a car up. I know that I bought my GS for looks and performance, but as I keep driving I feel the need for more performance. I beleive that keeping a car as clean looking and stock looking as possible is important, but if it comes to having more performance, and i decide that is what i want, and looks have to suffer, then performance wins over. If you decide that looks are important that is up to you. Don't flame a guy and tell him he is wrong for giving his opinion. That is what makes innovation and the forum work. Think about it, if they told MO at SRT that the intake with ECU was not pretty and he decided that it wasn't worth it to have performance gains over looks then there wouldn't be an excellent intake on the market. Everyone is entitled to their opinion
Old 04-09-01, 08:54 PM
kodai
Driver

Manaray

There really was no guessing. The end-plates on the bar almost told you where to make the cuts. The rear bar did make a huge difference for both myself and my friends that have them in there. I think you will be satisfied with the outcome.
Old 04-09-01, 08:56 PM
kodai
Driver

al2jzge

No problem please give me a day or two to get that for you o.k. the reason is that I am going out of town until thursday, but as soon as i get back I will do that.