GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tight Security on the GS, had to drill my trunk.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 07:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You know where next to the trunk release button there is a place where you put the key in to turn? Try that first since it's suppose to be a trunk security device. Push in the button and unlock it or something. If that doesn't work, then off to the dealer it is .
Old 11-06-06, 07:57 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by elibutton
I currently have the same issue as the originator on this thread. My duma$$ locked the keys in the trunk, with the valet key in my backpack, which was in the back seat. A locksmith came over and finally unlocked the car, at which the alarm went off. I got my valet key but unable to release the trunk. The car will start and run, but cannot access the trunk. We disconnected the battery for a few minutes thinking it would be reset, this isn't the case.

I'm told I had to take it to a Lexus dealer to have them reset my security system so it will unlock and allow access to the trunk. I'm not too mechanically inclined to take out my back seat, plus I'm actually out of state now and it's w/ my girlfriend. I was actually on my way to catch a flight for work and I put my luggage in the trunk. In the end I had to catch the flight and head to Wal-Mart at 2am to buy items I needed for work. What an idiot.

Can anyone tell me if this is the only solution - take it to a Lexus dealer to undo the security? I'm assuming this will cost a primed penny too. I'd appreciate a response.

Thanks,
EB
im sorry to hear about ur situation... i think u have a couple options, but i never tried this, so i dont know if it would work... #1) the valet key and the master key are the same key except that the valet key is a little thicker. if u know a skilled lock smith that can manipulate ur key, it may work (dont really recomend this option) #2) purchase a BLANK UNCUT MASTER KEY and have it cut using the valet key and use that key to open the trunk... now i must remind that i never tried either of those, so im not gonna garauntee that they work. im also assuming that the valet key and master key have the same grooves. just my suggestions. good luck and let us know what happens
Old 11-06-06, 07:58 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
You know where next to the trunk release button there is a place where you put the key in to turn? Try that first since it's suppose to be a trunk security device. Push in the button and unlock it or something. If that doesn't work, then off to the dealer it is .
DONT DO THIS... if that button is NOT pressed, DO NOT press it. that button can ONLY be released with a master key, the valet key will not fit in that hole to unlock it
Old 11-06-06, 08:00 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The valet key will not operate the the trunck relase if locked.

The interesting question would be, how difficult would it be to open up the assembly and release the lock?

Salim
Old 11-06-06, 08:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

d'oh! forgot he has his master in the trunk
Old 11-06-06, 08:16 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Next best thing I could think of other than bringing the car to the dealer is to take out the rear set to access the trunk. Then again, dealer would be easier
Old 11-06-06, 08:20 AM
elibutton
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re trunk release

Hi,

Thanks for the respose! I actually tried using the valet key to unlock the trunk release (which was actually unlocked - the trunk just would not open) but the key does not fit into this lock - only the master key will. I ended up pushing the lock "in" so it is now officially locked, and only the master key will be able to unlock it (turning 90 degrees to the left to unlock).

My last resort is the battery - I just spoke to another L-tuned owner, he said try detaching the battery (negative) for at least 30 min, and maybe more. Perhaps the car will forget everything by then and you could be back in business. The only thing is I'd have to ask my gf to do this and she's no mechanic.

I'm going to call Lexus of Austin to find out what's their procedure and costs. The car runs, so perhaps she can take it in. I'm not looking forward to paying for this stupid mistake, but that's what you get when you're not paying attention. At least my situation isn't nearly as bad as having this happen in a desolate area - such as the mountains - where I would have to pay the locksmith to drill my trunk lock.

I will let you guys know what the dealer tells me.

Thanks,
EB
Old 11-06-06, 09:51 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't all of our cars come with two sets of master keys? Did you lose the other set or what? I always keep a master key in a safe box just in case I get locked out. I call up my friend to take me to my house to get the other key and drive back to my car.

Hey elibutton, if you're around the DFW area...I can meet up with you and help you pull the rear seat. It takes about 15-20 minutes to remove and put back. This way you won't have to pay the dealer however much they will charge. I know for sure at least $100 since that's usually their minimum fee for any repair or even a diagnostic!!!
Old 11-06-06, 09:57 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Sucks to hear about that man! I still remember the day this happened to me. Lucky for you, you are already in your car and it's driveable. I would just take the back seat out if I were you.
Old 11-06-06, 11:08 AM
elibutton
Rookie

Default re: master keys

I bought the car used in October 2005, and it only came with 1 master key and the valet key.

I read about the "flat key" in the manual, but it did not come with mine. I'm thinking $30 is worth getting a flat key made in case this happens again. I may take you up on the back seat issue, I could be in Dallas this weekend - but for sure I'm in Dallas for the Colts / Cowboys game in 2 weeks. I'll keep you posting on this flat key solution, don't know if my gf can get it for me or not

Thanks
Old 11-06-06, 11:41 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Unhappy Locked Keys in Trunk!!

Originally Posted by elibutton
I currently have the same issue as the originator on this thread. My duma$$ locked the keys in the trunk, with the valet key in my backpack, which was in the back seat. A locksmith came over and finally unlocked the car, at which the alarm went off. I got my valet key but unable to release the trunk. The car will start and run, but cannot access the trunk. We disconnected the battery for a few minutes thinking it would be reset, this isn't the case.

I'm told I had to take it to a Lexus dealer to have them reset my security system so it will unlock and allow access to the trunk. I'm not too mechanically inclined to take out my back seat, plus I'm actually out of state now and it's w/ my girlfriend. I was actually on my way to catch a flight for work and I put my luggage in the trunk. In the end I had to catch the flight and head to Wal-Mart at 2am to buy items I needed for work. What an idiot.

Can anyone tell me if this is the only solution - take it to a Lexus dealer to undo the security? I'm assuming this will cost a primed penny too. I'd appreciate a response.

Thanks,
EB

Hey,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
You have two options. Actually three.
1) Remove the back seat and access the trunk that way.
2) Remove the two phillips screws and remove the black cover underneath the dash on the drivers side.(the cover that houses the footwell light). Then remove the garnish around the key cylinder by pulling it straight out towards you. (held in with clips) You will see some bolts(10mm heads) holding the lower panel(this is where the trunk release switch is mounted) to the dash. Remove this panel to access the back of the trunk release switch. Remove the connector for the switch. I think the connector is green with two wires. Now, jump one of these wires to ground and it will activate the solinoid for the trunk release. Don't worry you won't harm anything by jumping either one.
3) Take the car to the stealership.
Good luck, I hope this helps,
-Will
Old 11-06-06, 11:53 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, take out the rear seat. It is easy as hell. Pull up the bottom of the rear seat. I don't remember exactly, but there are two latches under bottom of the rear seat cushion. They are toward the front, one on the pass side, on on the driver side. Once the bottom is off. It is like 6 12mm nuts, 4 on the bottom, and two right begind the rear headrests. Just take the headrests off, and you will see flaps on velcro. Pull the flaps up, and you will see two bolts, one on each side. Take that out, pull the seat toward you and up. Done. You now have access to the trunk. Sort off. There is carpet on the inside of the trunk, but I am sure you can figure it out how to manuever from there. You can take it all off, and put it back on, it is not hard. You can even take off the rear deck, pull out the sub, and get in the trunk through there.
Old 11-06-06, 01:16 PM
LexFather

That is how u turn a negative into a positive!!!
Old 11-09-06, 01:59 PM
elibutton
Rookie

Thumbs up Resolution: Flat Key

Hey,

Just wanted to give everyone an update as to how I was able to clean this mess up and unlock the trunk.

I called Lexus and spoke to a technician, here was his feedback:

1. Disconnecting the battery will not help or reset anything, no matter how long you have it off. The trunk is locked down per the security system, so only a master key or a break-in will work.

His 2 solutions:

1. Have a flat key made for $30, which is just a regular key that can open the door, trunk, and start the car.

2. Bring the car in and have us break into it for $105.

Needless to say, I went for option #1 since it was the least cost and pain of the two. Since I'm out of town, my gf had to resolve this matter for me, so $30 was well worth it. I read about the "flat key" in the owners manual, however, since I bought the car used it only came with the master and valet keys.

An added note: she took the GS in and they made the flat key, but then tried to charge her $48. She told them how I had spoken to one of their technicians on the phone who estimated the price to be $30. In the end they ended up charging her $30 w/o any trouble! With my experience, it's helpful to talk to a technician or mechanic - who's behind the scenes and actually does the job and knows the work it entails - instead of dealing only w/ a sales guy on the phone. Not just because you could get different pricing and use it as leverage, but they usually tell it how it is and you can be armed w/ that feedback and a different view of things.

Lessons Learned (2)

1. If you don't have a back up master key or even the flat key, go to Lexus and pay the $30 to get one. Then you can make $1 copies at Home Depot after that.

2. Stay focused, and don't try to test the "major idiot" waters by being a dumbass and throwing your keys into the trunk while you're putting in your luggage. The Japs are pretty smart, but they can't make the whole car idiot-proofed. If that isn't enough, print out a copy of the story (in this thread) about the guy who locked his keys in the trunk of his GS way up in the mountains. Just think about how painful it was for him to drill out the trunk locks. Better yet - watch the movie "Deliverance", and see what could potentially happen if you locked your keys in the middle of BFE w/ no one to help.

Thanks again!
Eli
Old 11-10-06, 05:34 AM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

I was just about to write down my means of getting into my own car one time, but I just realized how bad of a thread this is - imagine if people want to steal your car? We are just writing how it's possible to do so and anyone out on the internet could just browse through here and learn how to break into our cars.

Maybe it's just me, but this is somewhat of a bad idea explaining how to do these things.

Quick Reply: Tight Security on the GS, had to drill my trunk.