GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

No Spoiler on GS430 for 04?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04 | 12:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default No Spoiler on GS430 for 04?

My dealer has two 04 GS430s - I noticed that neither has a spoiler. I just went online with lexus.com and for my area, it shows that they don't offer a spoiler on the 04 GS430!

Anybody here with a 04 GS430 and a factory installed spoiler?
Old 02-21-04 | 05:24 PM
WaGoNiSt
Rookie

The rear spoiler is an option...$440 from the factory.
Old 02-21-04 | 08:10 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Spoiler

Doug,

it is entirely possible that no spoiler is available in your region. Back in 2000 in the North Eastern region there were NO Platinum Series GS's with spoilers from the facctory, but they were available in other regions. I came to find out that the Regional dealers get together with the Lexus Regional reps to determine option packaging and colors etc that will dicatate what gets sent to the region (not specific dealerships, but it will be the regional inventory). You can always make a big deal about it and tell them you wan them to replace the interior deck and make it as if the spoiler was factory installed (that's what I did, but my wife also works there so it wasn't like they were going to make any money on the extra service/work order anyway. You can also ask them to go out of the region to locate one witha factory spoiler if it's that big a deal. To me it was, so I would definitely express your concern to your salesperson and definitely the GM of the dealership. These guys need to understand that there are some of us out here that take our cars very seriously and it's not going to kill them to put spoilers on a few cars for the guys that will want them...ultimately it may not be a deal breaker either way, but I'd just a ssoon not deal witht the "4th brakelight issue".
Old 02-21-04 | 08:52 PM
Dennis-C
Pole Position

Johnny Mo,

I think you're right. Depending on where you live, certain options may not be avaiable. Obviously there's no navigation in Hawaii, but they don't offer black on black either. It's because older people usually buy GS' and they don't like the heat.
Old 02-21-04 | 11:27 PM
WaGoNiSt
Rookie

Yo Dennis, we do offer black on black, it's just that we don't order too many of them...almost 70% silver on charcoal....nice to see you on CL, and I don't mean as in an Acura CL...hehe
Old 02-22-04 | 12:07 AM
Dennis-C
Pole Position

Originally posted by WaGoNiSt
Yo Dennis, we do offer black on black, it's just that we don't order too many of them...almost 70% silver on charcoal....nice to see you on CL, and I don't mean as in an Acura CL...hehe
My bad. I guess I misunderstood what you said. Tom, give me a call I have a couple questions to ask.
Old 02-22-04 | 07:08 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Spoiler

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
Doug,

it is entirely possible that no spoiler is available in your region. Back in 2000 in the North Eastern region there were NO Platinum Series GS's with spoilers from the facctory, but they were available in other regions. I came to find out that the Regional dealers get together with the Lexus Regional reps to determine option packaging and colors etc that will dicatate what gets sent to the region (not specific dealerships, but it will be the regional inventory). You can always make a big deal about it and tell them you wan them to replace the interior deck and make it as if the spoiler was factory installed (that's what I did, but my wife also works there so it wasn't like they were going to make any money on the extra service/work order anyway. You can also ask them to go out of the region to locate one witha factory spoiler if it's that big a deal. To me it was, so I would definitely express your concern to your salesperson and definitely the GM of the dealership. These guys need to understand that there are some of us out here that take our cars very seriously and it's not going to kill them to put spoilers on a few cars for the guys that will want them...ultimately it may not be a deal breaker either way, but I'd just a ssoon not deal witht the "4th brakelight issue".
Exactly - that's why I was pointing out that it is only in my area. The guys/gals that get together and decide these things are just plain strange. Back in late 2002 when I was looking at the GS, the ONLY color you could get a GS430 in was black on black (in my area once again). I called Lexus and the guy couldn't believe it, so he looked it up. The conversation went something like this "In Sept, they made 16 black on black, one in silver, in Oct they made 18 black on black, in Nov they made 17 black on black" - he was shocked as well to say the least.

Getting another car from a different region is almost as hard as factory ordering one. They have to do the switch at the port or it is a complete nightmare (well it is a complete nightmare anyway). I ended up getting a black on black with chrome rims (didn't want the chromes OR black on black - but that was the only way they were bringing them in here in the Midwest - the same is true today but without the spoiler and THAT would have been a deal breaker for me).

I supposed that older folks don't like the spoiler. My neighbor is approaching 50 and he makes fun of my spoiler (and my chrome rims) each and ever day he sees me. 40 is not too far away for me so maybe my spoiler taste will change

One last thing... when I complained to the dealer about the only color being black on black and WHY DO THEY ORDER THEM THAT WAY?, their comment was "that's the only color combo guaranteed to sell". I call bull.
Old 02-22-04 | 10:04 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Update...
Typed in a Calif zip code and the spoiler does indeed show up. Looks like it is the dolts who order the Midwest cars that decided no spoilers out here.
Old 02-22-04 | 03:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

You can always tell the dealer to put the spoiler on the car. Since i got the GS300, the spoiler was not an option, so dealer installed it......... It shouldnt be a deal breaker.

I also hate the way Lexus distributes their cars, with certain regions getting little variety in colors and options.
Old 02-22-04 | 04:02 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Re: Re: Spoiler

Originally posted by doug_999
Exactly - that's why I was pointing out that it is only in my area. The guys/gals that get together and decide these things are just plain strange. Back in late 2002 when I was looking at the GS, the ONLY color you could get a GS430 in was black on black (in my area once again). I called Lexus and the guy couldn't believe it, so he looked it up. The conversation went something like this "In Sept, they made 16 black on black, one in silver, in Oct they made 18 black on black, in Nov they made 17 black on black" - he was shocked as well to say the least.

Getting another car from a different region is almost as hard as factory ordering one. They have to do the switch at the port or it is a complete nightmare (well it is a complete nightmare anyway). I ended up getting a black on black with chrome rims (didn't want the chromes OR black on black - but that was the only way they were bringing them in here in the Midwest - the same is true today but without the spoiler and THAT would have been a deal breaker for me).

I supposed that older folks don't like the spoiler. My neighbor is approaching 50 and he makes fun of my spoiler (and my chrome rims) each and ever day he sees me. 40 is not too far away for me so maybe my spoiler taste will change

One last thing... when I complained to the dealer about the only color being black on black and WHY DO THEY ORDER THEM THAT WAY?, their comment was "that's the only color combo guaranteed to sell". I call bull.
Sorry to hear you had so much difficulty in getting a combo that appealed to you.

Black on Black ROCKS though
Old 02-23-04 | 09:50 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Spoiler

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
Sorry to hear you had so much difficulty in getting a combo that appealed to you.

Black on Black ROCKS though
Actually had no chance of getting the combo that appealed to me (wanted the blue with light grey). I agree, there are worse combos than black on black.
Old 02-23-04 | 11:19 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Doug, I thought you'd had a lot of problems with your Lex and wanted to go back to BMW. Did you decide to trade for a new GS430? If so, hope you have a much better experience this time around.

If I were you, I'd take advantage of the fact that there's no factory spoiler and have the Sportdesign lip installed instead. Looks great on black. I love mine. It is more integrated into the tail end of the car and makes it look different. My neighbor asked me if they had restyled the GS, and that was before I added the side skirts and new rims.
Old 02-23-04 | 04:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Actually I am slowly getting the problems fixed with my GS. I am down to two - one is the overboosted steering, which really isn't a problem and should be fixable (just not by Lexus) and the other is a shimmy out of the rear tires while at highway speeds. I think that is due to the fact that I rotated my snow tires this year as the dealer says they are in balance. I have not had time to investigate as the car was in the shop for the last month for the engine tick - which I am proud to say - IS FINALLY FIXED. Only took 13 months.

I was pointing out the lack of spoiler just as a "isn't it interesting...". Excellent point about getting the lip spoiler instead as it is VERY sharp. Personally I think the dealers who order the midwest cars forgot to check the spoiler option, I doubt they did it on purpose but who knows.