GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Phew, Thanks goodness for CPO...$2,000 in 1 month...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 07:51 PM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phew, Thank goodness for CPO...$2,000 in 1 month...

If it wasn't for the Certified Pre Owned program I'ld be out $2,000 in repairs:

1. Door lock actuater: $400
2. Master Brake Cylinder: $ 1,600

Cost to me: $0

All this happened in the last 30 days. I bought a Lexus for the reliability...but I'm questioning my luck thus far. Hopefully this is the last of the "few, although, regular defects" in the GS series. If it isn't, maybe I should've kept my Passat.

I know what keeps me satisfied even with the electrical mishaps...

Excellent dealer service and CPO warranty to 100,000 miles.

GO LEXUS!!!

Last edited by LeXsGs3; 02-21-04 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 06:12 PM
chinspot
Driver School Candidate

How do u spot those 2 problems ?
Old 02-23-04, 12:18 AM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

1. The door lock actuator does not let the door lock via any of the controls (key fob / inside rocker switch).

2. The master cylinder is bad when your vsc, vsc off, abs, and e-brake light all turn on at the same time with an intolerable high pitch piercing sound.

These are the couple thing known to go bad on GS's. Unfortunately it happened to me at the same time..but fortunately during warranty coverage.
Old 02-23-04, 05:26 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking Who do you work for?

Do you work for Lexus? Specifically the CPO program?

Actually, I found just the opposite true with my GS. I bought a uses (50k miles) GS400 from an Acura dealer. I paid extra for a comprehensive warranty that I used once. The warranty cost me $1100, and the one visit to the mechanic (Lexus stealership) was only $400.

All cars are a gamble. Especially used cars. Protecting yourself from unforseen problems with a warranty or a stash of $$$ in the bank is the way to overcome those bumps in the road.

Cheers.

PS. the Passat has nothing on the GS...
Old 02-23-04, 08:22 AM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Default Re: Who do you work for?

Originally posted by PearlGS400
Do you work for Lexus? Specifically the CPO program?

Actually, I found just the opposite true with my GS. I bought a uses (50k miles) GS400 from an Acura dealer. I paid extra for a comprehensive warranty that I used once. The warranty cost me $1100, and the one visit to the mechanic (Lexus stealership) was only $400.

All cars are a gamble. Especially used cars. Protecting yourself from unforseen problems with a warranty or a stash of $$$ in the bank is the way to overcome those bumps in the road.

Cheers.

PS. the Passat has nothing on the GS...
No, I don't work for Lexus; but I do know alot about what is covered/not covered. I did some homework on different manufacturers certified pre-owned program...Lexus and Infiniti are up there....hence I have a GS300.

I believe in your case, your warranty was through the Acura dealership, if I am reading your write up correctly. Lexus CPO is the most comprehensive you can get for a Pre-owned Lexus.

Aside from a stash of $$$ CPO is the way to go on a used Lexus. 100,000 miles of no worries.

Passat has nothing on the GS......I TOTALLY AGREE...it's not even worth a comparison write-up...I only mentioned it because it would have been nice to have 0 car payments.

In anycase, happy motoring.
Old 02-23-04, 10:51 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Actually, my warranty is from Protective Advantage. It can be used anywhere, at any dealership. I decided on a $50 deductible, which makes the total warranty less expensive.

Like I said, I took the car into service (at a Lexus Dealer), and only paid my $50 deductible. The cost for parts and labor were picked-up by the warranty.

Down side of this warranty is you have to pay first, then get re-imbursed. Not a big deal if you have a couple hundred dollars in savings or a credit card. It took about four weeks to get reimbursed.

I like the warranty safety-net, but I've been thinking that Lexus cars are trouble free (for the most part) for at least 100k.

Agree?
Old 02-23-04, 11:00 AM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

I agree they are relatively trouble free for at least 100,000 miles although it doesn't feel like it to me right now. If my throttle position sensor goes out, then that should be the last of the GS gremlins...so far I'm battin' a 1.000!!!

Still hasn't shook my love for the car though!

Last edited by LeXsGs3; 02-23-04 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-23-04, 02:04 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Lightbulb Your good!

Either you've done your research or you just got lucky.

My throttle sensor went out at 57k miles. Scary situation. But like I said, that was the only problem. Knock on wood...

Best of luck!
Old 02-23-04, 02:35 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

i felt the same way when my tranny went out on my 96 GS, I had 96k on the clock when it happened too!!!

6k tab picked up by Lexus!! I think the level of service that I received with that blue car is what cemented me into the Lexus fold for life!!
Old 02-23-04, 02:44 PM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Oh GREAT!!! I'm about to hit 57,000 in maybe 2 more weeks. really looking forward to it

I hope I'm done with the little nuances and can just enjoy my ride now. If not, I'm gonna have to trade it in for an SC430 (I guess I'm dreaming again )
Old 02-23-04, 10:00 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my CPO with 42K and I'm at 75K now [CPO expired in December]. Most of the following happened within the first year, all issues were covered under warranty and a nice lexus loaner was provided in each case. All these problems and it's the squeaks and rattles that bother me the most.

1) Main Seal Failure
2) Nach Head Unit Failure
3) Telescoping Steering Assembly Failure
4) Trunk and Gas Cover Release Failure
5) Passenger Door Actuator Failure
6) Driver Side Seatbelt Guide Failed
7) Problems with Coolant Overflow Resev. [replaced]

I am thrilled to have paid the extra for the CPO. Actually, in the last 18 months I have had only a single problem (item 7). Ahem... That was not of my own making.
Old 02-23-04, 10:29 PM
chinspot
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I got mine CPO too .. hopefully I can spot all the problems before the warranty expire
Old 02-23-04, 11:47 PM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Originally posted by redgs4
I picked up my CPO with 42K and I'm at 75K now [CPO expired in December]. Most of the following happened within the first year, all issues were covered under warranty and a nice lexus loaner was provided in each case. All these problems and it's the squeaks and rattles that bother me the most.

1) Main Seal Failure
2) Nach Head Unit Failure
3) Telescoping Steering Assembly Failure
4) Trunk and Gas Cover Release Failure
5) Passenger Door Actuator Failure
6) Driver Side Seatbelt Guide Failed
7) Problems with Coolant Overflow Resev. [replaced]

I am thrilled to have paid the extra for the CPO. Actually, in the last 18 months I have had only a single problem (item 7). Ahem... That was not of my own making.
How did your warranty expire at 75K? You should be covered until 100K, unless you hit 36 months already...

Man, that is quite a list. You should put prices next to each item just for shock value...these GS's are expensive to maintain.
Old 02-24-04, 12:09 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LeXsGs3
How did your warranty expire at 75K? You should be covered until 100K, unless you hit 36 months already...

Man, that is quite a list. You should put prices next to each item just for shock value...these GS's are expensive to maintain.
Hit 3 years in December. Yes, it's quite a list but I have been happy with my ownership experience. If I did not have the CPO I would feel different.

[Edit -- Post Number 1000! ]

Last edited by redgs4; 02-24-04 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-24-04, 01:59 PM
dbox
Driver

you guys are scaring the ***** outta me here!

i have yet to have any problems on my 99 gs300... 64k

Quick Reply: Phew, Thanks goodness for CPO...$2,000 in 1 month...