GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need your opinion on a GS4 (carfax related)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 03:51 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down run from this deal don't walk

if something smells fishy, its usually because it is.

Last edited by 3dog; 03-01-04 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 03:55 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carfax had:
FYI - Originally Registered as a Personal Vehicle
FYI - No Lease Registration Reported
FYI - No Fleet Registration Reported

Edit: Damn, I can't seem to find a CLEAN one around here!!!! What's up with that?

Last edited by Cadd; 03-01-04 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 04:39 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Patience Cadd

When you find the right vehicle (and you will), you will be very happy that you waited for it. 3Dog is right, this one is very fishy - he should know, he lives in Seattle

There was a lady out here in IL that just got a company car - she was selling her loaded 2002 GS430 with 23K on it for $39K. A friend of mine called her just to check on the car and she dropped the price to $35K on the phone - she just wants out of it. That's the kind of deal you are looking for (i.e. motivated seller for the right reasons).
Old 03-01-04, 06:34 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Did your friend buy it? Why can't I find deals like that here?
Old 03-01-04, 07:01 PM
2kwiq
Rookie

sounds like the right advice is to just wait and make sure everything is good...

you know that almost all the fun is in the anticipation of getting some...hahaha...

seriously, what are you going to do once you get it? sleep in it? you'll bring it home...wash it, wax it, clean it, drive it around and waste gas...then what...

2 months later, you are left with nothing but browsing these boards and looking for mod ideas...spending all your money and time on the GS...and why do we do this? because we love the anticipation of getting new stuff...that's all it is...anticipation...

good times, yes...but it's not the end of the world if you wait a little...
Old 03-01-04, 07:09 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 2kwiq
you know that almost all the fun is in the anticipation of getting some...hahaha...
Old 03-01-04, 07:15 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I think my first mod will be lowering it a bit (not too much so that it'll get damaged in NYC potholes) and get either 17s or 18s (I'm sure I'll ask opinions of people driving around in NYC with 18s to see how they feel). Since this car will be a daily driver, I'll prob just get some 17s and forget about it.

But that's later down the road...now, I just need to find a CLEAN (one owner preferred) car with low mileage.

A '00 Platinum Pkg with Naka sound is all I ask for. 17s would be nice as well. Sigh.....but I don't want to spend over $25........unless it is EXTREMELY clean and well taken care off by some **** person. But people like that don't usually sell their cars after just 4 years of babying it.
Old 03-01-04, 08:17 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

One more interesting thing about carfax:

A member here leased a Prelude back in 99. At the end of the lease, he turned it in (and got a SC300). Anyway, I ran the Prelude's Carfax. Guess what? It said:
FYI - Originally Registered as a Personal Vehicle
FYI - No Lease Registration Reported

Damn, Carfax is so inconsistent!

I don't know who to believe anymore.

If this GS is in fact really clean and the mileage thing is an error, I may be missing out on a good deal.

Everyone seemed to avoid one of my original question: Can the odometer be rolled back in cars like the GS400 (or in cars with a digital odometer)? I'm assuming the answer is "yes" since anything can be done....everything has a price right? But how easy or difficult is this to do? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this?
Old 03-01-04, 10:30 PM
Goods
Driver

Random thought ...

but some states don't charge additional tax, or some fees when transferring directly between immediate family members, so the father and son story MIGHT be accurate.

Good luck.
Buyer beware, and aware.
Old 03-02-04, 12:09 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey Cadd, are you talking about my Prelude? lol

Anyway, two things. Some dealers will end the lease early if:

1) You're purchasing the car.
2) If you plan on buying another car from that dealer.

Also, the mileage recorded (38,500) could just be the guy putting a round number when he registered the vehicle at DMV and was too lazy to go out and check the actual mileage.

Another thing, if you're planning on keeping the car for a long time, some of these issues maybe irrelevant. Five years down the line that car will be 10 years old and beat up, the way you drive...lol

Ed
Old 03-02-04, 06:06 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Cadd i know your anxiety about finding a car but I would walk away from this one.......too many issues .....

Last edited by Letsride; 03-02-04 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-02-04, 07:17 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Goods
Random thought ...

but some states don't charge additional tax, or some fees when transferring directly between immediate family members, so the father and son story MIGHT be accurate.

Good luck.
Buyer beware, and aware.
I think NY is one of those states. I remember reading it somewhere. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by SC300Es
Hey Cadd, are you talking about my Prelude? lol

Anyway, two things. Some dealers will end the lease early if:

1) You're purchasing the car.
2) If you plan on buying another car from that dealer.

Also, the mileage recorded (38,500) could just be the guy putting a round number when he registered the vehicle at DMV and was too lazy to go out and check the actual mileage.

Another thing, if you're planning on keeping the car for a long time, some of these issues maybe irrelevant. Five years down the line that car will be 10 years old and beat up, the way you drive...lol

Ed
I do plan to keep the car for over 5 years. I don't think I drive as hard on my car as you do on yours! LOL. Did you put those 18s on yet?

Anyway, I think I'll wait until he calls sometime this week to let me know if he has the paperwork. I'll ask him to gather up ALL the paper work he can find and I'll take a look. If I feel confident, I'll have the dealer, my mechanic and a bodyshop check it out.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm ****. I just hate getting ripped off.
Old 03-02-04, 04:35 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down buying car without nak stereo

here is what i would hate.

if i went ahead with this deal, after all these little warning signs, and then found out later that i had been played for a sucker.

it would not be a pretty sight

hold out for what you really want. i wish my car had the nak stereo. my wife's car does and it sounds way better than mine.

3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 03-02-04 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 07:21 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

OK, you guys are right.....and really talked some sense in me. Unless this guy can prove all the negative things wrong (plus give it to me for a dirt cheap price), I think I'll pass.

Thanks very much for everyone's input. It helped a great deal.

So the saga continues.

2000 GS4 Platinum series with the Naka stereo and 17s with low mileage and one owner (or off lease) for a reasonable price.......WHERE ARE YOU?????????

Keep an eye out for me.

Thanks for all your help again,
Cadd
Old 03-02-04, 08:40 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Cadd
Did your friend buy it? Why can't I find deals like that here?
Nope. He has a 2000 GS400 and just finished paying it off. I was trying to get him to buy my GS but he is very happy with his. Plus now that I have my engine ticking fixed, I'm actually starting to like my car.

Keep looking. You will find it when you are not looking.

Quick Reply: Need your opinion on a GS4 (carfax related)