GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Has anyone replaced their back deck? + BONUS snow pics (56K=sad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 08:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Has anyone replaced their back deck + BONUS snow pics 56K=sad

QUESTION: Has anyone replaced their interior rear package tray / decklid OR successfully removed the third brakelight w/ an acceptable cosmetic appearance? I know Johnny Mo did this when his car was new at the dealer, but don't recall anyone else posting about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently I undertook a minor trunk upgrade (here), and part of what I did was to remove the third brakelight from my back deck. I removed it because (IMO) its an eyesore & redundant with spoiler LED brakelight and it rattles when my aftermarket sub volume is cranked up.

To remove the light, the approach the installer and I agreed to in theory was to stretch a piece of grill cloth on a custom frame from the top of the subwoofer grill straight back to the edge of the window. The problem is that while the piece looked great on the deck when it was out of the car, the deck flexes when snapped in place in the car. When you look at the end result from the side, you can see that the fabric is not quite taught in the shallow area of the deck. The color isn't a perfect match either... not bad, but could be better. It's better than with the third brakelight, but I'm not going to leave it like this for long.

You can see the gap against the back deck here.

Anyone have thoughts on making this look better or other options?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-01-04 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-01-04, 09:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

And as a bonus (and because I didn't want to start two threads), I thought I'd share some pics I took after a surprise big snowstorm we got in Charlotte late last week.

After the foot + of snow settled a bit, I backed the GS out for some 'black and white' pictures Poor LS had to stay out in the cold full time.

When I backed the GS out, I had to wipe the 'milk moustache' of snow off the TTE lip

I don't know why everyone complains about the GS and performance tires in snow. I pulled right out and back into the garage with no problems . You can see some snow the undercarriage picked up.

Playing peekaboo

For more snow day pics (click here) in my webpage gallery.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-02-04 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 09:40 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yikes

BRRRRRRRRRRRR....

To cold for my west coast thin blood-

D
Old 03-01-04, 09:52 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave....imho....like what you did....but on a larger scale....remove seat belt achors....cover the entire deck with a piece of velour/carpent type fabric....cut an opening for the sub...staple the edges down around the grill (if chosen fabric does not stay in place), re-mount the seat beal achors, mount the sub's grill (make sure the grill cover hides the staples if required).

Pete
Old 03-01-04, 10:02 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

I would of liked to have seen your travel a mile or two with the SO-3's on there.

-Anthony
Old 03-01-04, 11:30 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool snow pics Dave.
I really like that shot head on.
Old 03-01-04, 11:42 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

boy dave seeing that snow reminds me clearly why i left new york for the fun in the sun florida
Old 03-01-04, 12:03 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wow so the car handled well in the snow how fast were u coiming out of the garage? i can't lie i miss the snow sometimes ...great pics dave....
Old 03-01-04, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha looks awesome dave, specially the snow pics. i guess partially that's coz' i can't find snow here in cali
Old 03-01-04, 02:12 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Cool pics Dave, its a sad world when NC has snow and MA doesnt!! LOL
Old 03-01-04, 02:33 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW Dave your GS is just SWEET I love the way it has the mirror look I wish i can get mine to look like that soon
Old 03-01-04, 04:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the compliments, gentlemen!

This strange snow was actually the most Charlotte has had since 1902, so it's a rare occurance to see so much. Even stranger - the day before the snow was 65 degrees outside, last weekend it got back up to upper 50s. Just a freak storm, almost all melted now and those pics were just on Friday.

Weekend before last we had a Zaino clinic in Charlotte so that helps the shine . My girlfriend went and did her car and was amazed how glossy it was as well. But she said after thinking about it "I guess if I rubbed on anything for six hours (like she just did on her car) it would be shiny too.", lol

Anybody got other ideas for the back deck (thanks PHML)?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-01-04 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 04:57 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pics...now put that bad boy back where he belongs..nice and cozy!
Old 03-01-04, 06:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Thanks for the compliments, gentlemen!

This strange snow was actually the most Charlotte has had since 1902, so it's a rare occurance to see so much. Even stranger - the day before the snow was 65 degrees outside, last weekend it got back up to upper 50s. Just a freak storm, almost all melted now and those pics were just on Friday.

Weekend before last we had a Zaino clinic in Charlotte so that helps the shine . My girlfriend went and did her car and was amazed how glossy it was as well. But she said after thinking about it "I guess if I rubbed on anything for six hours (like she just did on her car) it would be shiny too.", lol

Anybody got other ideas for the back deck (thanks PHML)?
dave i would have done what PHML said too. just put another FULL colver on top of the current one after you cover up the hole, that's the most solid (i suppose you have a full piece of wood on the rear deck already?). it's the easiest and you don't have to worry as much on color mismatch, etc...

btw, where's the rear power shadow?
Old 03-01-04, 07:55 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice pics

always loved the way those badges looked on black

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced their back deck? + BONUS snow pics (56K=sad)