GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I wish the next GS has more power

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-04, 02:06 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down babble

its driver related, someone in a viper could be beat if he missed a shift, those mag's are taken for what it is, a article about a car, its all what you like. Imo the gs is the best looking car out of those comparisons.
Old 03-12-04, 06:21 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

doug_999,

Guys, I have to tell ya, the 540ia, at least the 99 and higher is faster -and is faster in every test of the two cars compared side by side, with the exception of that silly motor trend article. I've owned them both as well and can tell you the 540ia is faster - a LOT from 0-30 and actually a bit slower from 30 on.
I had a pleasure of driving my friends' 540ia with and without the sport package. Let me tell you that 540ia sport is the only one that could have a chance 0-30 with GS400. If I'm not mistaken the sport package comes with higher stall TQ and that is what would make a difference. 540ia without sport package doesn't feel right comparing to one with the sport package. Even my wife didn’t like the one without the sport package. If she can feel the difference between both, there has to be a huge one. If I'm not mistaken you had 540ia with the sport package.

Last edited by ChrisK; 03-12-04 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-12-04, 10:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisK
If I'm not mistaken the sport package comes with higher stall TQ and that is what would make a difference.
You are exactly right. And that's why my (and many others') GS with upgraded torque converter can still keep up with a 540i auto w/ sport package.

The cars are very similar in weight, size and power. It's no surprise that they're basically neck and neck on performance. The 'sport package' that BMW has offered for years is a GREAT package and upgrade, and Lexus is pretty much clueless with their 'SportDesign' package in comparison. But then again, BMW is clueless with things like navigation systems. Different strokes...
Old 03-12-04, 10:51 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I would think the GS would get it out the hole and the 540ia would reel it in up top. Now adding a TQ converter is a whole different story for the GS that should make up for the difference on the 540i 1/4 time.
Old 03-12-04, 10:55 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Looks like a 545i may be on the horizon for me (I sure wish they had dropped the I-drive though)."

YES. That 25hp over the GS 430 will make all the difference......
Old 03-12-04, 04:21 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ChrisK
doug_999,

I had a pleasure of driving my friends' 540ia with and without the sport package. Let me tell you that 540ia sport is the only one that could have a chance 0-30 with GS400. If I'm not mistaken the sport package comes with higher stall TQ and that is what would make a difference. 540ia without sport package doesn't feel right comparing to one with the sport package. Even my wife didn’t like the one without the sport package. If she can feel the difference between both, there has to be a huge one. If I'm not mistaken you had 540ia with the sport package.
Correct Chris - the higher stall TQ made the difference (that's what I had). It also had a different rear end (3.24 vs. 2.9x or something like that). The car just snapped off the line. Not so good when you are trying to drive smooth, but man, did that thing go off the line.

Bit, remember, my GS has been in the shop exactly 4 weeks more than my two BMWs ever were

Give me time, however, the GS is only a year old
Old 03-12-04, 05:12 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by doug_999
Bit, remember, my GS has been in the shop exactly 4 weeks more than my two BMWs ever were
Yeah, I know BMW has a strong reputation for lower reliability and higher cost of maintenance, but as an owner of both a BMW and a Lexus, I've found BMW to hold up at least as well as the Lexus. Now, the service experience has NOT been the same. Lexus service is vastly superior. But in terms of just getting in the car and driving it hassle free, I think my GS has had more issues than the BMW (and I drive the BMW HARD!), though many of those issues have been directly attributable to the L-Tuned and TRD mods I've added to the car.
Old 03-12-04, 08:47 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

How much better is the new 5 series or e series better than the GS?
Not much!
The styling of both cars are not really that impresive.
Now when u take into consideration that we are getting a new GS next year, u will be looking at a car that has the advantage of seeing what the competion has to offer. I now have the problem of needing to buy a car now. I have looked atboth the 545 and e500 and none of them evoke the emotions that i got when i first sat in a gs400. I sold my gs4 in august, but will probably get another until the new beast comes out. As far as the power of the gs, u people r crazy. @ a 0-60 time of about 6 secs what more could u ask for? I already have numerous speeding tickets, and smoked many cars many times. I think that mb studied the gs hard while making the new e class. Now a company with real problems is Acura connsidering that the best car they ever made was discontinued 9 years ago. Someone said that they will be making a 300hp 3.5rl. I do not think putting that much hp to the front paws is a goo idea.
Old 03-13-04, 10:17 AM
theRain04
To Infinity and Beyond

Originally posted by KINGLEX
Now a company with real problems is Acura connsidering that the best car they ever made was discontinued 9 years ago. Someone said that they will be making a 300hp 3.5rl. I do not think putting that much hp to the front paws is a goo idea.
Acura is supposed to be making the RL all wheel drive, with the electric motor pushing out the rear wheels. It should be on display at the New York Auto Show. I'm looking forward to seeing what It has to offer.
Old 03-13-04, 01:51 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

I will be @ the show. I still have faith in the fact that the Acura Legend coupe with the type II engine is and will always be the best car ever produced by Acura. By the way if anyone knows where I can get one in sexy red with less than 100k please respond.
Old 03-17-04, 07:57 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by SCWells72
Yeah, I know BMW has a strong reputation for lower reliability and higher cost of maintenance, but as an owner of both a BMW and a Lexus, I've found BMW to hold up at least as well as the Lexus. Now, the service experience has NOT been the same. Lexus service is vastly superior. But in terms of just getting in the car and driving it hassle free, I think my GS has had more issues than the BMW (and I drive the BMW HARD!), though many of those issues have been directly attributable to the L-Tuned and TRD mods I've added to the car.
SCWells-
Just curious... since I have similar L-tuned mods... what type of problems have you experienced??
Old 03-17-04, 08:11 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by dseag2
SCWells-
Just curious... since I have similar L-tuned mods... what type of problems have you experienced??
The main one was the vibration around 55mph that ended up being solved by adjusting the steering pretensioner. I mean, my WHOLE car would vibrate hard at that speed! It was kind of embarrassing when you'd have people in the car and it'd get that rough. And the service guys kept saying it was everything from my tires to my alignment before the master mechanic figured it out. Now the ride is smooth as silk, but man, for a while there I was really not happy. Otherwise I've just noticed that the rattles and squeaks in the car have gotten substantially worse since tightening the suspension, but that's to be expected since there's simply less flex and something ultimately has to give...