GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 or Infiniti G35 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-04, 06:05 PM
Jagarus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 or Infiniti G35 Coupe?

Im trying to decide between an '01 or '02 GS 430 and an '03 G35 Couple Leather/Auto. The car would be used as a daily driver, with lot of city driving.

Whats the difference between an '01 and and '02 GS 430? I am looking for one with Nav. Even though it is a Lexus, are there any known problems? The G35 would be with Nav too and 18" wheels, brembos. I wouldn't mind waiting it out until the new GS is out if I can get a better deal on the '02 GS 430. Any idea how much the '02 would be if I waited until summer or fall of '05? I am looking for something around 30K miles on it right now or if I wait till '05, around 40K miles.

What would you choose?

Last edited by Jagarus; 03-09-04 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-09-04, 06:10 PM
jdmaristo
Driver

well i test drove the g35 coupe a few months ago..and if ur interested in comfort and a daily driver i suggest u go wit the gs and the g35 u want ;the one wit the navi and the brembo upgrade..which is the manual one ..i think is just a fun car to drive once and a while i dont think it be a fun car to drive everyday, stuck in traffic and changin gears gets anoying lol,but the g35 is hella fast car, i liked it...
Old 03-09-04, 06:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Default Re: GS430 or Infiniti G35 Coupe?

Originally posted by Jagarus
Im trying to decide between an '01 or '02 GS 430 and an '03 G35 Couple Leather/Auto. The car would be used as a daily driver, with lot of city driving.

Whats the difference between an '01 and and '02 GS 430? I am looking for one with Nav. Even though it is a Lexus, are there any known problems? The G35 would be with Nav too and 18" wheels, brembos. I wouldn't mind waiting it out until the new GS is out if I can get a better deal on the '02 GS 430. Any idea how much the '02 would be if I waited until summer or fall of '05? I am looking for something around 30K miles on it right now or if I wait till '05, around 40K miles.

What would you choose?
Welcome to ClubLexus! You'll find the search feature is your best friend here and will get you answers to questions before you can post them. I put in GS430 G35 and found these threads amoung others:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=gs430+g35
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=gs430+g35

The Lexus website should give you the difference between model years, I know there were minor changes to the Nav between those years.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library.html

Listed below are a few links of a few places to gauge value of the GS.
KBB
Edmund's

Also check the sites below (among others) to search for used GSs / gather price info.
Autotrader
E-Bay Motors

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-09-04 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-09-04, 06:26 PM
Jagarus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help! Im looking to get some replies and opinions about the depreciation.
Old 03-09-04, 07:00 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

One of the links above is from a question I posted some time back. Funny how things come full circle, because I'm actually leaning very hard toward trading my '01 GS430 in against an '05 G35 Coupe. My main issue with the G35, both the sedan and the coupe, is the lackluster interior (low quality materials and poor arrangement of controls). Otherwise I think it's both a great looking (ESPECIALLY the coupe!!!) and a great driving car. The '05 is supposed to completely replace/upgrade the interior to be more in line with what a $35K car should have. I'm hoping they're using the '04 Acura TL as a benchmark in that regard. If it comes out the way I hope it does, I will very likely trade in my GS for a G35C.

Anyway, I've REALLY enjoyed my GS430 for over 3.5 years. However, for about a year now I've been wanting a manual transmission and more sporty overall ride than it offers, even with all of the L-Tuned and TRD mods I've made to it. In manual tranny form, the G35 (again, both the sedan and the coupe) is very much a full-on sports car. Even with my mods, my GS430 doesn't quite feel the same, and not just because of the transmission. Not knocking it, though, because it has its own very well balanced feel. So one question you might ask yourself is whether you want a sports car with some nice luxury features or a luxury car that's quick (but more isolating) and quite fun to drive.

If you're only considering an automatic tranny, I'd probably recommend the GS430 for its higher quality features, wonderful V8, great dealer service experience, unparalleled owner community here on ClubLexus(!!!), etc. If you want a manual tranny, you're looking at the G35 Coupe. If you're in love with the aesthetics of one or the other (both are amazing looking to me), that may help steer you. If you need room for four comfortably, again, that's an important criterion. Lots to consider.

Drive them both, for sure, and if you drive a stock GS430, remember that the L-Tuned (and other) mods make a HUGE positive difference in the overall handling feel of the car.

Have fun!
Old 03-10-04, 06:02 AM
Jagarus
Driver School Candidate

Im looking for an automatic for daily driving.

Any problems with your GS? How reliable was it? What options do you have on it?
Old 03-10-04, 07:06 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Jagarus
Im looking for an automatic for daily driving.

Any problems with your GS? How reliable was it? What options do you have on it?
My GS is fully loaded: navigation, Mark Levinson audio, wood steering wheel, 17" alloy wheels (now 18" L-Tuned alloy wheels), rear spoiler, etc. I've since added L-Tuned shocks, springs, steering ECU, exhaust, and 18" wheels, along with TRD sways and lower chassis brace.

No problems at all with the stock equipment. It did take the service dept a few times to get a vibration out of the steering wheel after doing some of the L-Tuned mods, though. They had to tighten the steering pretensioner. A search for that on this forum should reveal all the info there. Oh, and a few rattles here and there after ~30K miles (getting closer to 45K now), but I'm pretty sure the stiffer suspension has definitely at least accelerated any rattles.

Since you're looking for an automatic for daily driving, I highly recommend the GS.

Last edited by SCWells72; 03-10-04 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-10-04, 07:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally posted by SCWells72
. . . . . I'm actually leaning very hard toward trading my '01 GS430 in against an '05 G35 Coupe. My main issue with the G35, both the sedan and the coupe, is the lackluster interior (low quality materials and poor arrangement of controls). Otherwise I think it's both a great looking (ESPECIALLY the coupe!!!) and a great driving car. The '05 is supposed to completely replace/upgrade the interior to be more in line with what a $35K car should have. I'm hoping they're using the '04 Acura TL as a benchmark in that regard. If it comes out the way I hope it does, I will very likely trade in my GS for a G35C.
I wish I had the patience to wait for a 05 G35 coupe with an upgraded interior.

If they really upgrade the interior to the standards of the new TL, they'll probably have to raise the price by a couple grands, which I would have gladly pay for.
Old 03-10-04, 07:47 AM
LexFather

Dr. Rick would be very insightful here.
Old 03-10-04, 08:08 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SexySC
I wish I had the patience to wait for a 05 G35 coupe with an upgraded interior.

If they really upgrade the interior to the standards of the new TL, they'll probably have to raise the price by a couple grands, which I would have gladly pay for.
Estimates are that the price increase will be <$1K, but it seems there will be one. I agree that a high quality interior justifies a reasonable price increase, and it helps to eliminate the one serious deficiency of an otherwise virtually unsurpassed car in its price point. I'm looking forward to the NY Auto Show to see the results!
Old 03-10-04, 09:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

For a $1K price increase, I doubt it will have all the features the new TL has, but softer plastics, real aluminium trim and redesigned controls would be nice.
Old 03-10-04, 11:04 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SexySC
For a $1K price increase, I doubt it will have all the features the new TL has, but softer plastics, real aluminium trim and redesigned controls would be nice.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I'm not expecting the new interior to have all the features of the new TL (voice activated systems with nav, etc.), just a level of quality and overall design that is on par with the new TL (or an Audi from which the new TL interior seems heavily derived).
Old 03-10-04, 01:59 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

From my experience test driving a G35 coupe, looks like the torque band is not as wide as the GS43, and the peak torque is at higher rpm. I felt the car hesitating at mid low rpm (2-3k). It rushed quickly after 4k, felt like it was a turbo. So better be ready to rev it up most the time.
Suspension was harsher over rough roads, but definitely it has better control over body roll copmared to GS.
Old 03-10-04, 02:19 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by gewe21
From my experience test driving a G35 coupe, looks like the torque band is not as wide as the GS43, and the peak torque is at higher rpm. I felt the car hesitating at mid low rpm (2-3k). It rushed quickly after 4k, felt like it was a turbo. So better be ready to rev it up most the time.
Suspension was harsher over rough roads, but definitely it has better control over body roll copmared to GS.
To me, the G35--both the sedan and coupe--with a manual transmission felt noticeably more responsive on the low end of the RPM range than my GS430. I don't have a torque converter on my GS, and I tend to drive manuals quite aggressively, dropping the clutch in the fat of the curve, so that may have something to do with it. On the high end it felt quite similar with the turbo-like lurch you mentioned around 4K. All in all, a surprisingly nice powerband on a V6. And the coupe's exhaust is the first I've heard that matches the often used term "intoxicating".

As for the suspension, both cars are a little tighter than my GS430's modded suspension, but not notably so. The coupe felt even better than either of the sedans because it's so low to the ground and planted. I could definitely live with the coupe's suspension on a day to day basis. Not sure I could say the same thing about the 350Z. It felt much more unforgiving when I drove it.

Anyway, for this guy's wants/needs, I'd still recommend the GS4. For myself I'm (obviously) leaning more and more toward the G35 coupe. There are only two things that will stop me from making the switch at this point: 1) if the rumors of a new interior end up being bogus or if the new interior isn't (enough of) an improvement; 2) if either the M35/M45 or new RL just totally rocks and is offered with a manual.

Last edited by SCWells72; 03-10-04 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-11-04, 07:26 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I have to say, I don't see the looking at the GS430 and the G35C at the same time. One is a sedan and the other is a coupe. The G35 sedan would be a more natural comparision. That being said, I do like the G35C better then the sedan, but practicallity would put me in a the sedan.

Comparing with the GS430, both are great cars but the decision is up to you. As for reliability, my '98 GS400 now has over 96K miles, and it has been a great car overall. Besides regular maintenance, the only problem I had with my car was the alternator going bad at 95K miles (around $500 out of pocket), and the creaking sunroof at 50K miles (fixed under warranty).

I bought my GS used nearly 4 years ago and I still love it. I would never spend that kind of money new, but spending $30K for a used GS is better then $30K on a new of anything else, in my mind.

Quick Reply: GS430 or Infiniti G35 Coupe?