GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to program garage opener?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-04, 09:34 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to program garage opener?

I bought my car but I didn't come with a manual, but you guys know where I can get the programming at?

Also I've heard that you can get the manual free if you register your car from Lexus. Where can I do the registering?
Old 03-09-04, 10:18 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How to program garage opener?

Originally posted by audio28
I bought my car but I didn't come with a manual, but you guys know where I can get the programming at?

Also I've heard that you can get the manual free if you register your car from Lexus. Where can I do the registering?
i dont know about programming the garage door opener, BUT since i was the last one to order the FREE manual and get it and post about it here is the link... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92845 (i hope it works... if it doesnt, its under great deals of the classified section and its stickied, so it will be there for a while)
Old 03-09-04, 11:14 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks!!
Old 03-10-04, 12:01 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Homelink instructions

This sounds weird, but a lot of people have been having problems with programming the Homelink in their cars, so you're not alone. I had a problem programming my car too, as I tried to follow the instructions in the manual--which really don't make sense. In any event, I got hold of the factory service manual and from deciphering the signal sequence, I wrote the following info (aka my easier, no-non-sense version) up on how to program the Homelink:

---------------------------------------------

HOMELINK REMOTE PROGRAMMING

PROCEDURE A: If you have a rolling code garage door opener (most new ones are of this type)

1. Decide which of the 3 Homelink buttons you want to use to open your garage door. Press this button for 20 seconds, after which the Homelink LED will start blinking about 1Hertz. Keep pressing this Homelink button.

2. Bring the handheld garage remote close to the Homelink unit in your car and firmly push the button on the handheld remote (for about 0.5 seconds) a few times (spacing the pushes about 1 push every 2 seconds). Once the red LED on the Homelink starts blinking in 5.6 Hz cycle, it means that the code has been properly programmed into the Homelink. You can now stop presssing the Homelink button.

3. Next, on your garage door opener (note, this is the main motor unit), you'll need to find the "Train" button (which is sometimes hidden inside the light cover). This "Train" button allows you to program a new remote to the garage door opener, so it can start registering the new rolling code. Press and release the "Train" button, and your garage door opener will start blinking. While garage door opener main unit is blinking (you should have about 30 seconds), get inside your car and push and release the recently programmed Homelink button a couple of times. Once your car's Homelink code has been registered, your garage door opener will operate correctly.

--------------------------------------------

PROCEDURE B: If you do NOT have a rolling code garage door opener (most older ones are of this type)

1. Decide which of the 3 Homelink buttons you want to use to open your garage door. Press this button for 20 seconds, after which the Homelink LED will start blinking about 1Hertz. Keep pressing this Homelink button.

2. Bring the handheld garage remote close to the Homelink unit in your car and firmly push the button on the handheld remote (for about 0.5 seconds) a few times (spacing the pushes about 1 push every 2 seconds). Once the red LED on the Homelink starts blinking 5.6 Hz cycle, it means that the code has been properly programmed into the Homelink. You can now stop presssing the Homelink button. Your remote has now been properly programmed and you can start using it immediately (since your garage door opener main unit does not have a rolling code feature that you need to train).

Notes: On a Genie type of garage door opener, the train button should be inside of the light cover on the main opener unit. If you open it up (2 screws on top of the plastic light cover), you should find a black button on the left side of the left light bulb. On Craftsman garage door openers, I believe the train button is on the rear of the main unit. It's somewhat apparent when you're looking for the train button. Good luck to all with this problem!
Old 03-10-04, 12:05 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Default Free owners manual

Here's the link for the free owner's manual (actually registering w/ Lexus, but it allows you to get 1 free manual per month):

http://www.lexus.com/owner/

The free owner's manual link is in there somewhere after registration.
Old 03-10-04, 06:37 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Good no-nonsense explanation Seattle! Thanks.
Old 03-10-04, 11:40 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

thanks again seattle!!
Old 03-10-04, 12:37 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

No problem fellas--glad I could help out
Old 03-11-04, 10:52 AM
Kendhal
Driver School Candidate

Took the instructions provided with me last night and it all worked.

Thanks from me.
Old 03-12-04, 04:45 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

I just got mine to work on one try!!!!