GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car Won't Start.. Detailed History.. Need Help! >:(

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 04:10 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by O. L. T.
whadda ya say we stop guessing and find out?

Issue #1- pull the main inline fuse to the amps, (under the hood at the battery) charge the battery, start the car, drive it around for 15 minutes to charge it up. shut it off and walk away.

come back in a few hours, and see if the battery is dead.

report back.

we'll do this first since after using a charger the car starts, so it is obviously a voltage problem with the battery. we'll eliminate the drain problem to find the source.
I'm going to get on this as soon as possible. I'm assuming when you say pull the main inline fuse it's connected to the battery as you say? (I think I just answered my own question ) so I'll disconnect that.

Unfortunately, at this moment, it is raining and snowing and nasty outside but I will charge it up as soon as I can.

Maybe I should cancel the appt. with the mechanic for now because I have this strange feeling the issue is centering around the god forsaken audio system?

I will report back asap.

Thanks O,
Anthony
Old 03-16-04, 04:32 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

anthony

bluelex had the same problem 2 weeks ago after we left blooddrag .. once we checked the thing you guys have mentioned ( i did this via phone for him) i told him to clean his battery posts and the inside of the terminals , they are prone to gather this acidic corrostion which interupts the power going to the battery from the alternator.. once a month i spray a battery acid neutralizer on my connections as preventative maint .

one bluelex and his father cleaned the terminals with brillo and alittle vinegar to neutralize the acid , reconnected and his car is back to perfect

check the terminals positive and negative and the battery posts as well
Old 03-16-04, 08:49 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

lex4life took the words right out of my mouth, same exact thing happen, 1st no turn on, than i jumped it but it felt weird, than it wouldn't start again, cleaned the terminals and not a problem eversince....good luck
Old 03-16-04, 10:07 PM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

click click click. battery is dead.

why dont u just start it, let it run, shut it off. measure voltage of battery with voltmeter.
then let it sit over night, check voltage again, and there ya go.

if its drained signifigantly, somethings draining it.

my freinds capp was wired wrong one time and he had similar probs.

gluck man.
Old 03-16-04, 11:19 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the battery connection part, it might come loose or something. or maybe the fuse is burnt, thats the only 2 reasons i can think of right now...
Old 03-16-04, 11:49 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem a while back. It turned out to be a faulty fuel level gauge. It read I still got 1/4 tank left when I was actually completely dry.

On another case, my supposedly new battery also died on me every other day, especially when I haven't used the car in a while. It was just one of those one-in-a-million case where the battery I bought happened to be bad.

I replaced it with a new one and I haven't had any trouble since.
Old 03-17-04, 07:21 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Ah Captain Bone Has Set Sail And Is On The ATTACK!

The morons at the Audio place that installed the amp DIRECT powered it to the Battery with no "remote" function to it... hence always having the amp on! Thus, draining the battery to nothing time after time.

On a lighter note, the Optima lasted a month with this all happening... which I find pretty amazing and a testament to the excellent battery it is.

Well, Thanks for EVERYONE's help, even those from other forums such as OLT, and God as my witness these Audio ****** will pay!

(Sorry for the asteriks, i need to vent!) lol

-Anthony
Old 03-17-04, 07:28 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Captain Bone
Well, Thanks for EVERYONE's help, even those from other forums such as OLT, and God as my witness these Audio ****** will pay!

-Anthony
Get that money Bone! Congratulations my brotha and I'm glad it wasn't anything that would have costed you a lot or something that would have caused a lot of problems.
Old 03-17-04, 09:23 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Coolness Glad to hear you found the problem

Last edited by LB Lex; 03-17-04 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-17-04, 09:40 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Default see...

it had to be draining from somewhere..Glad it was fixed.Where did that stereo shop learn to install??
Old 03-17-04, 09:48 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Default Re: see...

Originally posted by johnee78
it had to be draining from somewhere..Glad it was fixed.Where did that stereo shop learn to install??
I'm starting to wonder the same thing... I might even ask for a price adjustment and partial refund tomorrow because a future discount if I ever decide to get any work done there again would be obsurd because I'm NEVER going back.

-Anthony
Old 03-17-04, 09:56 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

If a stereo shop knows what they are doing then they should of known to wire up the remote to your ignition of your car if your using the stock radio.That way your amp will only be powered up when your car is running.Optima batteries are bulletproof
Old 03-17-04, 10:14 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you figured it out man!!!!
Old 03-17-04, 04:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Gravy
Old 03-17-04, 04:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

I've heard Optimas are very resilient and yours might be fine, but I'd guess they've reduced the life of the battery significantly after a month constant drain. I'd ask for them to replace it or at least give you a credit for something of equal value.... then take it somewhere else to get installed.

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start.. Detailed History.. Need Help! >:(