GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 colors close to silver??? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-04, 11:26 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy GS400 colors close to silver??? Help!!

Hey guys, I am currently looking for a replacement vehicle for my totaled GS. I have it narrowed down to a silver 2000 GS400, and I have been looking around a bit online. Some of the ads state the vehicle color as "pewter" I have never heard of this as a GS color. Does this color exist in the GS world. Am I missing something here or are they mistaking Millenium silver for pewter??? The only two colors near silver I have ever heard of are Alpine Silver metallic and Millenium Silver. Help guys, I need to know whether to pull the trigger on this car or not so my friend can go to auction and check it out for me.

Thanks,
Eric

edit --- I looked on Edmunds as well and found the following:

Colors

Exterior Colors

Antique Bronze Mica Black Onyx
Burnished Gold Metallic Cinnabar Pearl
Crystal White Imperial Jade Mica
Millennium Silver Metallic Spectra Blue Mica

Looks like it's millenium silver

Last edited by ebruce2; 03-22-04 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-22-04, 11:33 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Only other color would be grey graphite...and I think those only came in '02 on (w/ the SD model)...must be MS.
Old 03-22-04, 12:17 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my car, the dealership had it listed as Pewter. It was actually Burnished Gold Metallic. I think it's listed on the State Registration as well as Pewter.
Old 03-22-04, 12:44 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Eric,

One thing to consider, (I know it affected my decision), is to compare the Alpine Silver metallic (98 - 99) with the Millenium Silver metallic (2000 and up) side by side.

After seeing those two side by side, it was pretty much a no brainer decision for me - the alpine silver looks better to me.

Each to his own however!
Old 03-22-04, 01:02 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey E, they are either describing Millenium or Burnished Gold.

If I were in ur shoes, I would be hunting down a Cinnabar, I actually found my car while visiting a dealer to check out a Cinnabar GS! That color is really rare and I think it's a beautiful color!
Old 03-22-04, 01:11 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default Pewter

Pewter is a beige color, they are refering to D's color the burnished gold.
I seen a lot of 2000 gs400's for sale when I was looking for mine, nice color was just too similar to my 95 and I wanted black interior...I don't remember seeing any thread about you wreckin your car, but anyway good luck
Old 03-22-04, 04:28 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what year gs r u looking 2 buy? mayb get the sports design graphite grey, love that color....or cinnabar
Old 03-23-04, 05:32 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bluelex
what year gs r u looking 2 buy? mayb get the sports design graphite grey, love that color....or cinnabar
well, I was kinda planning to do the silver GS400 with my TRD carbon-look grille and have everything else like emblems and wheels in a color that matches the grille like a black opal or something.

And the last time I checked, "pewter" was a dark grey color, not gold. After trying to keep a black car clean for a couple years, I am definitely trying to get a lighter-colored vehicle.

Last edited by ebruce2; 03-23-04 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-23-04, 08:19 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default Colors

Yeah a lighter color car is nice as far as paint maintenance, it is so much easier to keep clean, cause I am sure black was frustrating but I am sure it looked damn good.

As far as Pewter, it is more of a grey color than a gold but it is a mix, the only reason I know is my mom is an interior house color paint freak and she has a Bravada that is pewter and it has a beige look sometimes, who ever is listing those cars is callin that beige/gold color pewter, cause it looks different in certain lights, I am sure you can't confuse that with silver, not did they have a dark grey color in 2000, but whatever good luck finding a car....
Old 03-23-04, 08:37 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ebruceii
well, I was kinda planning to do the silver GS400 with my TRD carbon-look grille and have everything else like emblems and wheels in a color that matches the grille like a black opal or something.

And the last time I checked, "pewter" was a dark grey color, not gold. After trying to keep a black car clean for a couple years, I am definitely trying to get a lighter-colored vehicle.
i asked what year cus the color options changed in 2000 no more alpine silver, cinnabar,spectra blue,and such....go alpine silver with black interior. i love that combo.....milly silver is very nice but has a goldish look 2 it.. i do like it but would go alpine...man if u dropped a cinnabar like u did u'r black machine that would b cool...or crystal white, man my buddy has that color and its just a hot color with so much shine...

Last edited by bluelex; 03-23-04 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-23-04, 08:38 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

I agree with Hameed, the alpine silver would be my first pick as well! Just my personal choice!
Either way you cant go wrong with colors because you are buying a Lexus!!
Good Luck
Old 03-23-04, 08:49 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Colors

Originally posted by SLVRGS
Yeah a lighter color car is nice as far as paint maintenance, it is so much easier to keep clean, cause I am sure black was frustrating but I am sure it looked damn good.

As far as Pewter, it is more of a grey color than a gold but it is a mix, the only reason I know is my mom is an interior house color paint freak and she has a Bravada that is pewter and it has a beige look sometimes, who ever is listing those cars is callin that beige/gold color pewter, cause it looks different in certain lights, I am sure you can't confuse that with silver, not did they have a dark grey color in 2000, but whatever good luck finding a car....
don't get me wrong dude, I wasn't trying to come off like a jerk to you at all. When i went back and read my comment it did look kinda jerk-ish. My fault.

Yea, who's to say what color this ride is, I just gonna have my buddy go and check the ride out. Wish I could go, but I'm not a dealer, so they won't let me in.

And believe me guys, I absolutely love the Alpine Silver on black combo. If that color were available on a 2000 I would be all over it!!!
Old 03-23-04, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Pewter

Pewter is actually a very light silver-gray. In fact, in jewelry, pewter is actually an alloy of silver. Some manufacturers still use the term "pewter gray metallic" to refer to silver. Chrysler / Plymouth used it for many years....back from the seventies.

Silver is one of the top-selling paint colors today (in fact, THE top-seller)....primarily because of the rage in the so-called "metallic" look. You see a lot of it in metallic inside trim, too.
Old 03-23-04, 12:35 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

hey E, since you are a shine freak like me, be aware of one thing when crossing over from dark to light, you will lose the "apparent from any angle shine"!! With a dark color the depth of the paint is evident at any light, and from any angle dead on or sideways. with a lighter color, the light has to hit it in order to see the depth of the shine! thats one thing I really miss about my 96!!

The lighter color is easier though (although I dont do any less cleaning, polishing, etc )

Keep us informed man
Old 03-23-04, 03:09 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

alright y'all, here's the deal.... I got the VIN and had my service guy at Lexus run it for me. Just as I suspected, this thing is on record as SILVER!!!!! LOL, it's nice to have cool Lexus people who are willing to help a brotha out. Also, it doesn't look like this vehicle was in for routine maintenance, only little things here and there..new rotors, a battery, a highway shimmy, and that's about it.

Anyway, it's a Millenium Silver GS400 with a gray interior, 39K on the clock ,off-lease, no NAV (don't want it anyway). That's all the details I have for now. Only problem is that I want the black interior soooo bad, even though the exterior color is top priority for me. This is killing me!!! And it hasn't even been a month yet since my accident. heh heh

Opinions???

Last edited by ebruce2; 03-23-04 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: GS400 colors close to silver??? Help!!