GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What type of handy person are you?
Total DIY Person...love working on the baby with your hands
61.62%
Barely DYI...occassional oil change but the big things go to the shop
24.52%
Don't have time or not a DIY type of person
13.86%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a DIY Guy or Not...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05 | 12:17 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Only thing i wont do in my garage in a timing belt swap. I have done many of these when working at the dealership, but I've seen what can happen if you get the belt ONE tooth off. So, ill pay for that.
Old 08-31-05 | 01:45 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I DIY'd my kenwood headunit and headrests TVs, although I need to redo the TVs as they were stolen a few months back and their replacements are sitting in my closet. I also did my intake, with help, my exhaust, most body mods other than body kit. I also just installed new headlights. But the maintenance issues I take to the dealer. Even the oil change I get at Toyota for $20 so I just leave it there before work and pick it up after work, which is much easier for me.
Old 08-31-05 | 03:37 PM
DavesGS
Pole Position

DIY some things like brakes and oil but haven't had to do anything big to it yet
Old 08-31-05 | 11:29 PM
jucee187
Lead Lap

Default DIY whatever i can

Im a total DIYer.. so far.. i installed my navi and screen and stereo myself. installed the clear bumper lenses? haha.. the front STB.. for shocks/springs had my mechanic do it.. i would do it myself but i dont have space in my garage (single garage)..nor the right tools.. if i had a lift and a full set of air tools.. i would do everything myself.. next DIY will be the TTE lip and Ltuned SS.
Old 09-01-05 | 07:21 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

i like to do things myself. granted, with the help of everyone here on this board, it's easy.

i wish we had an "ED's Garage" here in so. cal. lexforlife knows a lot of stuff and i tap on his expertise from time to time. rominl is also very knowledgeble as well as neo...

so far these have been things i've done myself,

coilover
headlights
bumpers
painted calipers
oil changes
trans fluid
diff fluid
front grill
aftermarket speakers using the stock head.

next to do is:

ball joint, tie rod ends
radiator fluid
brake pads

anyone here has a step by step procedure of changing out the radiator fluid
Old 09-01-05 | 07:50 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corkycal
i like to do things myself. granted, with the help of everyone here on this board, it's easy.

i wish we had an "ED's Garage" here in so. cal. lexforlife knows a lot of stuff and i tap on his expertise from time to time. rominl is also very knowledgeble as well as neo...

so far these have been things i've done myself,

coilover
headlights
bumpers
painted calipers
oil changes
trans fluid
diff fluid
front grill
aftermarket speakers using the stock head.

next to do is:

ball joint, tie rod ends
radiator fluid
brake pads

anyone here has a step by step procedure of changing out the radiator fluid
thanks calvin and tony for the props

i guess i get this from my pops who was a tech engineer for ibm for 30 yrs.. till this day at his age of almost 80 he does mostly everything by himself.. he always taught me you cant save a buck by giving it to someone else

wait for my FI install coming up soon , this will be a REAL diy from scratch
Old 09-01-05 | 11:56 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corkycal

Dont leave Johnny (TLW) out of this list. He has done a ton of stuff to his car himself and made a lot of threads detailing how to do it yourself, which has been very valuable here on CL
Old 09-01-05 | 12:53 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Dont leave Johnny (TLW) out of this list. He has done a ton of stuff to his car himself and made a lot of threads detailing how to do it yourself, which has been very valuable here on CL

yes, agreed
Old 09-18-05 | 08:46 PM
SiFreak
Rookie

I have never brought my GS to any shop so far, I am a DIY guy.
I have done these to my GS:-
- Flush radiator
- changed engine oil & filter
- changed transmission fluid
- refreshed diff fluid
- changed spark plugs
- replaced the blown bulbs in stock audio backlights. These are the soldered bulbs most dealers make you replace the whole console for $700. I spent much much less than that.
- replaced brake pads, resurface rotors

I have been a Honda guy with engine swap experience, and I have to admit I am growing to love Toyota & Lexus cars. They are so well designed that working on them is such a joy. The GS300 is my second Toyota product, my first was a 97 6spd Supra TT. Both have impressed me tremendeously.
Old 09-18-05 | 09:08 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

im a total diy guy. wait i work at a dealership
Old 09-18-05 | 09:10 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

I used to do alot of DIY stuff.

i just swapped out my own CD changer today. My first time working on audio stuff. But it wasn't anything complicated to begin with.
Old 09-19-05 | 05:26 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't messed with the 3rd GEN yet. (Maybe that's a good thing).

With the second gen, i did do a few things myself, although i left the difficult things up to the pros.
Overall i'm not a big car DIY.

Around the house however, forget it. Carpentry, plumbing, electrical, tile, etc..i like to do it all. Saves me big bucks.
I renovated a house a few years ago and flipped it for a nice profit.
I'm now working on my own condo, i gutted the entire bathroom and rebuilt it from the ground up myself. Almost done...wait till you see the pics....
Old 09-19-05 | 02:11 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

was a DIY'er with both of my hondas- motor swaps, suspensions, exhausts, stereo stuff interior whatever, if i couldnt figure it out i asked for one of my mechanic friends to come over and bribed them with beer to help me get through what i couldnt...with the lex though? i still have an old friend who is a full time mechanic but does work for me whenever i want on the side...this is a far superior piece of machinery and after all the BS i went through with my hondas, buying myself the GS is my way of taking a break...i let somebody else do it now and hook them up $$$ accordingly- speakin of which, he just threw in my L Tuned suspension and brembo rotors and pads yesturday, looks 100x better than stock
Old 09-19-05 | 04:44 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Does changing light bulbs count as a DIY ?.............. j/k

I really don't like to get into all the mechanical work, would rather pay a professional and have them do it. This way if they mess something up, it's there responsibility to correct it.

Will do some minor things such tail light swaps and things of this nature, but that's pretty much it.

BIG to all those whom have the skills to do the job them selves. Will defenitely agree that once complete it is much more gratifying.
Old 09-22-05 | 07:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Though I haven't worked no a GS before, i'm a DIY guy, unless I need to lift my car real high to do something (dont have access to a lift )

Quick Reply: Are you a DIY Guy or Not...