GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The Permanent fix for lag in acceleration/ Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 05:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

rmmgs4, care to do mine tonight?
Old 04-04-04, 09:48 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Huh, well I guess I never saw that thread, but it fixed my problem

Here's the pic of the throttle

ok, im confused, by loosening those 2 bolts, how does that tighten the throttle cable? i have the engine cover off and i am not sure how this is gonna work. Thanks
Old 04-04-04, 10:15 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

after loosening the 2 bolts....pull the cable a bit .....then re-tighten the 2 bolts. You are basically re-positioning the current position of the cable and the bolts are their to secure that position.
Old 04-04-04, 10:35 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

All i gotta say is THANK YOU! After i loosened the bolts, we figured it out

It eliminates my accelerator lag. You should have seen how loose the cable was!

Now the gs responds just as quick as our bimmer

THanks!
Old 04-04-04, 04:23 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

No problem, hope you have fun. I wonder if its a lexus wide problem.....
Old 04-04-04, 04:28 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the tip guys! Can't believe I didn't catch the last thread on it. My brother and I did it to both of our cars. It helped his rough idle a lot and my car doesn't have the annoying lag anymore. Perfect.

Old 04-04-04, 10:45 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, Blue. I've been meaning to tighten my throttle cable for months now because even with a/c on my car would idle at barely 425rpm and with the a/c off I can guarantee that my car would die on me. I know tightening the cable is the easiest thing to do but I've been slacking off. ANyway, I decided to tighten it this morning and now my car is idling at a happy 650rpm with a/c on and 620ish with a/c off. I read the numbers off my Apex'i RSM so I know it's accurate. THANKS!
Old 04-05-04, 05:55 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

No problem guys, Jtanoyo, I'm no expert, but that seems a little high to me, might be a little dangerous when you are trying to slow down.... But hey, i dont know....
Old 04-05-04, 09:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

This "performance mod" is waaaay cheaper than replacing the stock converter with the high stall speed TC from Precision Industries!
Old 04-05-04, 10:50 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
No problem guys, Jtanoyo, I'm no expert, but that seems a little high to me, might be a little dangerous when you are trying to slow down.... But hey, i dont know....
Yeah it's a little high.

Before making this adjustment, make sure the engine & tranny are fully warmed up (15 min driving around). I would then check the idle RPM; (in drive & A/C off) it should be around 600rpm max.

If you are in traffic going (like 30mph) and you need to keep riding the brakes to slow down, then the rpm is too high.

It feels great when the idle is higher, that is until you try to stop !
Old 04-05-04, 12:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Yeah it's a little high.

Before making this adjustment, make sure the engine & tranny are fully warmed up (15 min driving around). I would then check the idle RPM; (in drive & A/C off) it should be around 600rpm max.

If you are in traffic going (like 30mph) and you need to keep riding the brakes to slow down, then the rpm is too high.

It feels great when the idle is higher, that is until you try to stop !
i was a witness, all i can say is, this mod looks easy, but if you wanna do it right, it's not!
Old 04-05-04, 02:26 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just wanted to add that it would be a good idea to mark your current cable setting with a Sharpie pen...on the cable right up to the (2) 14mm nuts.... before loosening it....as a reference point....then make the adjustments.

Pete
Old 04-06-04, 04:18 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
i was a witness, all i can say is, this mod looks easy, but if you wanna do it right, it's not!
*LOL* for some odd reason, my eyes played tricks on me and I thought I saw you said " I was a waitress..."

But to be on topic, yeah, my rpm is actually at 600rpm with a/c off and 625 with a/c on and that's with the fully warmed up engine. I will drive much longer tonight so I will find out if that's still too high.
Old 04-06-04, 12:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
*LOL* for some odd reason, my eyes played tricks on me and I thought I saw you said " I was a waitress..."

But to be on topic, yeah, my rpm is actually at 600rpm with a/c off and 625 with a/c on and that's with the fully warmed up engine. I will drive much longer tonight so I will find out if that's still too high.
haha yeha, i was the one who handed all the tools and drinks to rmmgs4 when he did it, haha

but actually, after talking to rmmgs4 and stuff, we think 650rpm is a very good reference number
Old 04-08-04, 12:23 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Adjusting the throttle cable till the idle raises is the exact same as stepping on the gas pedal a tad to bring the engine speed up. It should not be adjusted to this level for idle operation. However, many seem to have a constant low idle issue and yes, this will cure it to a degree.

Last week while driving I noticed a significant change in my idle. Lower by 200rpms and a bit rough. Since I just serviced the car the prior week ,I rechecked everything. My older Nippo plugs were shot and were replaced with a new Iridium NGK set. I adjusted the TPS to no avail. Finally I remembered that I cleaned and oiled the air filter. I pulled the MAF and using a flashlight peered into the internals to check the wires. They were "covered" with black crap. Completely covered. Obviously from an over oiled filter. I cleaned the wires with some carb cleaner and reset the ecu. Purrs like a cat and idles as smooth and great as it did when new.
This will not help all, but maybe some.
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 04-08-04 at 12:27 AM.

Quick Reply: The Permanent fix for lag in acceleration/ Rough Idle